onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1
reply to onebadmofo

Re: Trying to print to network printers

Here's a little more info on what I'm seeing and what I have to do to get it working...

I see the printers, and can add them through the basic adding method.

Click the + ...pick from the list

But using that way it doesn't send the print. Well actually, it shows a brief progress bar like it sent it, but nothing is ever in the queue. And nothing prints.

What I ended up having to do is add the printers by IP address. I then edited the printer names to reflect where they are in the office to make identifying them easier.

What would be the reason that they would show up in the list, you can add them, but can't actually print to them?
--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
The printers in the list are coming from an Open Directory server that is possibly misconfigured. You'd have to figure out if the OD server has the correct settings for all the printers before diagnosing it on the client. One thing you can check - what driver pops up in the "Use:" box when selecting a printer from the list? What driver pops up when adding it by IP?

FWIW, I always add non-bonjour network printers by IP address. Is there a downside to doing it this way?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium
join:2002-03-30
Reading, PA
kudos:1
said by Thinkdiff:

The printers in the list are coming from an Open Directory server that is possibly misconfigured. You'd have to figure out if the OD server has the correct settings for all the printers before diagnosing it on the client. One thing you can check - what driver pops up in the "Use:" box when selecting a printer from the list? What driver pops up when adding it by IP?

FWIW, I always add non-bonjour network printers by IP address. Is there a downside to doing it this way?

Ok finally I had the chance to get this going again.
Here is what shows in the "use:" box when adding from the list...

And here is what shows when adding from IP:

--
Photoshop these nuts in your mouth.