Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Re: Unlimited is not sustainable

I'm still on unlimited data with Verizon Wireless on my 4G phone. The last couple of months I used 18GB and 12GB.

And I'm still on unlimited data from FIOS at home. But I use several terabytes a month. If Verizon FiOS can do unlimited data for only $60 a month, with more than 100X the data I use from cellular, then Verizon Wireless should have no issue with unlimited data for the $30 a month they are charging me.

Data is extremely cheap. And the prices keep getting lower and lower. So even if they kept charging the same amount thier profit margins would still continue to rise.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by aaronwt:

I'm still on unlimited data with Verizon Wireless on my 4G phone. The last couple of months I used 18GB and 12GB.

And I'm still on unlimited data from FIOS at home. But I use several terabytes a month. If Verizon FiOS can do unlimited data for only $60 a month, with more than 100X the data I use from cellular, then Verizon Wireless should have no issue with unlimited data for the $30 a month they are charging me.

Data is extremely cheap. And the prices keep getting lower and lower. So even if they kept charging the same amount thier profit margins would still continue to rise.

Sorry but you are naive. You were comparing a direct fiber line to your home to cellular, provided over a finite and public resource called spectrum. There is only so many who can share 5-10 MHz channels and only a certain frequency range that is practical for covering areas. Now take out what's needed for other communications and split the rest between carriers at expensive auctions. Sure, there is room for carriers to increase cell density, but that is a huge financial and political investment that will see diminishing returns as traffic explodes. Other than speed, technology such as LTE can cram more users on a channel, using advanced modulation techniques, MIMO, and better signalling protocols. Still, there is an upper limit to this. With fiber, you're only limited by the backbone interconnects and headend equipment. To add insane capacity, just add more fiber to the bundle.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

You should realize there is a HUGE difference between FIBER and cellular.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

said by aaronwt:

You should realize there is a HUGE difference between FIBER and cellular.

yes profits are 2x to 3x higher on cellular than what they have over their wired netork.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven

said by aaronwt:

yes profits are 2x to 3x higher on cellular than what they have over their wired netork.

..which is why they won't upgrade their wired network to fiber. The profit is in wireless, even though you can't go near the speeds.

But people are willing to pay for it. *sigh*