Search similar:

uniqs

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller

all I need to know is

If I have an account that currently shows "data pay as you go" on the bill, can I take a used smartphone (not ATT subsidized) and put in my SIM, turn the data off, and not live in fear that the data plan will be switched without my consent?
aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf

Depends. Do you text? If you text, and send pics to others, then no. Texting with pics requires data, since that is how the pic is sent, even though it doesn't rack up data charges. Same with if you send little videos of Suzy blowing out her candles on birthday cake to Grandma.

inteller
Sociopaths always win.
join:2003-12-08
Tulsa, OK

inteller

that's not my question. I want to know if I cna now safely pop in a SIM in a used smartphone and not get a data plan switched on me. How much pay per use data I rack up is my problem and my responsibility.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

you can not have service with a smartphone without a data plan.
Buffy Solano
join:2012-11-06
Vallejo, CA

Buffy Solano

I agree that if you try to get a smartphone now through ATT, they force you to get a data plan. What if you own the smartphone and insert a valid SIM card into it, will it work?

The question of why would you own a smartphone without the data plan is valid. However, the smartphone can be used with a home/office system to access data and transfer files.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Buffy I believe what your refer to in your second part is what he intends to do, use data at home on the smartphone over wifi but only use talk and txt while he on the road. My guess is he has a large enough screen smartphone ( samsung note or SIII) that he eliminates the need to have a tablet at home.

He did mention he already has an unsubsidized smartphone so what he is trying to do, he should be able to accomplish if a talk and txt only plan is available.

bf69 you are correct/ incorrect to an extent. Yes, You cannot purchase a smartphone on ATT currently without purchasing a data plan however if you already have your own smartphone its still a phone regardless of what else it can do. so they can not force to you purchase a data plan if you already own your own phone. You can sign up for any plan thats available all he needs to purchase is a SIM.

To answer your question inteller if your on a month to month plan ( not prepaid) you would not only need to set your phone for data services off but also call ATT and have data access totally blocked from your account this way the ATT network will stop you from sending or receiving data, people have done it before and still do Its just that ATT does not advertise that its an option as most people has become accustomed to having data access.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to inteller

Premium Member

to inteller
Yes. They don't care what phone you use as long as you don't buy it through them.