Search similar:

uniqs

gadawg
join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY
ARRIS BGW210-700

gadawg

Internet only

I called about getting Uverse internet only. I was told I would be charged 100 for a modem and could connect it myself direct to a phone jack. Self install.

Sounds to good to be true. Wouldn't a tech have to come and at least check the line and the box on the outside of the house?

We had cable phone before so I imagine the ATT box on the outside of the house has been bypassed.

Mangix
join:2012-02-16
united state

Mangix

AFAIK AT&T just changes the phone line termination on their end. Nothing needs to be done at the house(unless you have a bridge tap).

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to gadawg

MVM,

to gadawg
If the cable company disconnected the AT&T service at the NID, then you'd be responsible for reconnecting it - or paying AT&T to come out and do it.

If you were previously able to plug a phone into any jack in the house and have it work with your cable voice service, then your DSL modem won't work out of the box.

gadawg
Louisville, KY

gadawg

How do you reconnect it?

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan to gadawg

Anon

to gadawg
A tech will likely go out to your house (unless it has had U-Verse before) but they will NOT go inside and do anything for free.

On an install for an address never served U-Verse they are required to send a tech to verify signal up to the box on the house.

If you had a previous phone line in the past it should be simply plug your modem in and golden. If not or not original owner inside wires may need changing.

In my case, I took the telco box off side of my house 6 years ago as got rid of all landlines. When they came out he installed a new one to the location I wanted (on other side of house, as I did have a ground rod on that side too for him to use).

I asked him what they normally do on self-install and he replied verify the signal gets to the house and no major bridge-tap. Beyond that not they job for getting it inside unless you opted for professional install.

So that said they come out to validate you have a telco box on the house and that signal to it is live but from that they are not responsible for anything else without charging. (unless you get a cool person).

So if you're home and can watch outside the entire day of your activation or even the day before in case they come early you might catchem and he might be able to hook the wires back up for you or tell you which ones to use. Odds are if you put a note on the box if you're not home asking them to please do they will to but they won't go beyond that box on your house...

gadawg
Louisville, KY

gadawg

Thanks AnonMan.