uniqs
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ssavoy

to ssavoy

Re: Unlimited is not sustainable

said by ssavoy:

I already explained this to him the other day and he couldn't comprehend it. He's sticking to the pro-Verizon pricing scheme.

I don't need explaining. actually READING what the plan offers tells you. I can't help it if simple reading and math is beyond your comprehension. 2+2 does NOT equal 5 no matter how badly you want it to be true.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

All I need explained is, if the minutes and texting are truly included with the data, why are smartphones $30 *more* per month than tablets?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by ssavoy:

All I need explained is, if the minutes and texting are truly included with the data, why are smartphones $30 *more* per month than tablets?

Ask Verizon but that's the device fee. The "data" part CLEARLY includes minutes and texting. It's in the pic I posted. Also if you go to the website and choose just a tablet or hotspot or usb dongle and choose a data plan that does NOT include minutes or texting the data is $30 cheaper. For example 4 GB data on Share Everything with a phone is $70 and included unlimited minutes and texting with just a tablet with no minutes or texting it's $30. So if the price difference is $40 and the only change is the lack of minutes and texting then MATH and COMMON SENSE tells you that minutes and texting are priced at $40.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to ssavoy

to ssavoy
Because they subsidize next to nothing on a tablet, compared to hundreds on a smart phone?

PaulHikeS2
join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA

PaulHikeS2 to 88615298

to 88615298
If the minutes and texting are $40/month and I have to pay $90/month for my smartphone, then my math shows the 1 Gig of data to be $50/month. Or is the $40/month access fee optional?
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy to Crookshanks

Premium Member

to Crookshanks
Finally a logical answer. Then again, if I bring my own phone it still costs the same. I wish they would start calling it "Phone Financing" rather than just roll it in with the service plan.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks

said by ssavoy:

Then again, if I bring my own phone it still costs the same. I wish they would start calling it "Phone Financing" rather than just roll it in with the service plan.

Charging you the same if you bring your own phone does suck. I really can't think of any reason they do it, other than industry inertia. The wireless industry has used the subsidy w/contract model for decades, mostly to shield people from sticker shock.

T-Mobile does offer different plans for BYOD, but they have a different corporate culture than most American carriers. I suspect you'll see the BYOD concept spread over the coming decade, particularly once VoLTE happens and we have a truly nationwide cellular standard.