PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG

Re: Need Help Upgrading Son's Computer

There are some really bad GPUs in that first list (you simply offered up $75-100 cards with no regard to age).

That said, the Radeon 6670 is a good alternative to the GT 640--its max TDP is 58w.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

2 edits

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

he wants to run LFD2 at max that game was never a looker and it's old he does not need a powerhouse card for it. He does not need a newer higher end card for that either.I just mean in that range I posted he would be ok and I posted one card that would do the job. No idea if he wanted a range of cards he could pick from and rule out or he just wants a list of 3 cards that will work.

Now if he wants to spend the cash sure go ahead and spend it for future proofing for other games. If they want to game I'd upgrade that PSU myself while I was at it. where do you find how much power they drew?

This is the one card I posted.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14121442

Can his PC run it? Bleep me ok looked at the first post again I see he is replacing the PSU. OK then yeah I agree with ya the Radeon 6670 would be good for him that is one I posted too.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

That said, the Radeon 6670 is a good alternative to the GT 640--its max TDP is 58w.

Using this chart as a baseline (and I'd imagine Portal 2 isn't too different from L4D2), it looks like the 640 would be the better choice of the two, and a 7750 even better. Either should work fine though, 1366x768 won't stress them much.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Thordrune:

said by Krisnatharok:

Using this chart as a baseline (and I'd imagine Portal 2 isn't too different from L4D2), it looks like the 640 would be the better choice of the two, and a 7750 even better. Either should work fine though, 1366x768 won't stress them much.

It is, but L4D2 is less demanding to run than Portal 2, and at a lower resolution, so the headroom may be wasted. That said, the 640 will perform better if he decides to pick up other games as well.

The Radeon 7750's TDP is ~43w (some places say 55w), so he should be good even if he goes with that card as well.