All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mahohmei1
join:2008-10-29

mahohmei1 to graysonf

to graysonf

Re: Suddenly gobbling up data

And you can do the whole thing from a single desktop PC on the LAN? Cool.

Sorry to be asking so many questions. I'm at work and will download this thing as soon as I get home.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I have it running on an always on Linux box that sits on the LAN. It monitors the router which is also always on, as is the cable modem.

IOG is primarily aimed at *nix type systems, but it could be forced onto Windows. IOG is the easy part, the harder parts are that it needs perl, apache, and cron - things not typically found on Windows machines.

The first thing you should do is verify that your router can be monitored via SNMP.

On my Comcast connection, there is a constant amount of traffic on the WAN port, amounting to about 4MB of per hour.
mahohmei1
join:2008-10-29

mahohmei1

Our router is a Linksys E4200, which, according to the Googles, does _not_ support SNMP. The Motorola SB6120 cable modem, however, does support SNMP...unless Comcast has it disabled.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop, so...no problem.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

OK. Just run snmpwalk on the modem's IP address. Coming up with the community string will probably be the gotcha unless it is the default of 'public' or it's documented somewhere.