Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

[Classes] Warlock 5.0.5

Based on a Noxxic.com writeup:

According to SimulationCraft505-5, Affliction has the highest potential dps output of 104.9K dps, Demonology 99.1k, Destro 91.6k.
Immer

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] Warlock 5.0.5 (Affliction Spec)

Click for full size
www.Noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/affliction

Stat Priority:
Intellect > Spell Hit (15%) = Mastery > Haste > Crit

• Intellect Increases damage dealt by spells and slightly increases critical strike chance.
• Spell Hit (15%) Any Hit Rating will increase your chance to hit and at 15% Hit (5100 Rating) your spells can no longer miss on bosses. To check your hit percentage, open your character panel and then check under the Spell tab for "Hit Chance." The choice of how much Hit to stack comes down to your comfort level with missing and reapplying DoTs. Thanks to Pandemic, Warlocks have room to spare in their rotation but heavy misses can make the rotation difficult to manage. Stack as much Hit as needed (up to 15%) to maintain a comfortable rotation.
• Mastery Mastery: Potent Afflictions increases the damage by your Agony, Corruption, and Unstable Affliction.
• Haste Reduces cast time, lowers GCD, and can gives extra ticks to your DoTs.
• Crit Increases the chance for your attacks to critically hit for 200% damage.

Reforging:
1. Optimize Spell Hit on any gear without Hit rating, reforge the weakest stat (see stat priority) into Hit. The choice of how much Hit to stack comes down to your comfort level with missing and reapplying DoTs. Thanks to Pandemic, Warlocks have room to spare in their rotation but heavy misses can make the rotation difficult to manage. Stack as much Hit as needed (up to 15%) to maintain a comfortable rotation.
2. Optimize Mastery and Haste on any gear without Mastery or Haste, reforge the weakest stat (see priority) into Mastery or Haste as available.

Major Glyphs 5.0.5

{Glyph of Soul Shards} Required. Improves DPS by providing an extra Soul Shard.
{Glyph of Siphon Life} Recommended. Provides a small survivability boost.
{Glyph of Demonic Circle} Optional. Good for high movement fights.
{Glyph of Soulstone} Optional. Improved utility for saving players.
{Glyph of Soul Swap} Optional. Improved utility for multi-target DoTs.

Minor Glyphs 5.0.5

{Glyph of Crimson Banish} Optional. New color on Banish can be used to identify targets.
{Glyph of Enslave Demon} Optional. Useful if you get to enslave a strong add.

Single Target Rotation - 5.0.5

DPS Priority: Execute this priority for optimal DPS.

• Curse of the Elements when nobody else provides the debuff.
• Haunt Maintain the debuff and watch for Nightfall procs.
• Agony Maintain at all times.
• Corruption Maintain at all times.
• Unstable Affliction Maintain at all times.
• Drain Soul when target is below 20% Health. Replaces Malefic Grasp.
• Malefic Grasp as a filler spell.
• Fel Flame when on the move, but not to extend Corruption and Unstable Affliction.

Affliction Warlock DPS follows the priority outlined above. Maintain Curse of the Elements, Agony, Corruption, and Unstable Affliction at all times. The easiest way to do this at the start of a fight is to cast Curse of the Elements followed by Soulburn + Soul Swap to instantly apply your DoTs. After that, maintain the debuff from Haunt as much as possible. Haunt is the best spell to use to consume Nightfall procs. Use Malefic Grasp as your filler spell when the target is above 20% Health. Finally, when your target is below 20% Health, cast Drain Soul as your filler spell instead of Malefic Grasp. During this time you will rapidly generate Soul Shards and should refresh your DoTs with Soulburn + Soul Swap.

Demon: If you did not take Grimoire of Sacrifice then use the Summon Felhunter as your pet for both single target and AoE DPS. However, Grimoire of Sacrifice is the recommended talent for Affliction Warlock DPS and you should use it to sacrifice a demon for the powerful self-buff.

AoE Rotation - 5.0.5

• Soulburn + Curse of the Elements
• Soulburn + Seed of Corruption
• Seed of Corruption

With less than 4 targets, use Soulburn + Soul Swap to apply your DoTs and follow the single target DPS priority. At less than/= 4 targets, apply Curse of the Elements to all targets via Soulburn. After that, combine Soulburn + Seed of Corruption on one target and then cycle through and maintain Seed of Corruption on all other targets. From here, your priority is to use Soul Shards on Soulburn + Seed of Corruption to maintain Corruption on all targets while keeping Seed of Corruption on all targets. If you have excess Soul Shards and a free GCD, apply Haunt to the AoE target that has the most health.
Effective Cooldowns - 5.0.5

These effective cooldowns are available if you chose them in your talent build.

• Kil'jaeden's Cunning Use as needed for penalty-free casting during raid movement.
• Grimoire of Sacrifice Sacrifice any demon for the powerful 1 hour buff.

These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate into most all encounters.

• Dark Soul: Misery Use on cooldown.
• Summon Infernal Use for burst AoE DPS. Exclusive with Summon Doomguard.
• Summon Doomguard Use for burst single target DPS. Exclusive with Summon Infernal.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Immer

to Immer

Re: [Classes] Warlock 5.0.1

Is this a subtle hint? lol

I'm taking those sim DPS results with a huge grain of salt. In real life is it pretty hard to get perfect priority done which would likely be necessary for Affliction to get those numbers.

Right now I like destro as it is much simpler which makes it easier to focus on the fight mechanics.

Couldn't hurt to try Affliction but I would have to stick with it awhile to get the new priority, etc. down well.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

haha, no. Rhenai See Profile asked if there were any guides, and I was surprised to see there were none. Also, I wanted to try out a different approach to editing guide information so that it wouldn't make Tirael See Profile upset. Finally, I'm still hoping for Adalicia See Profile or someone to pick up the warlock guides since I deleted my lock when MoP dropped (just wasn't my thing).

The SimulationCraft numbers are like top speed on a test track used to compare a Ferrari versus Porche. The absolute numbers only really matters if you drive where there are no speed limits... even then... your performance mileage may vary. But that doesn't mean they aren't without merit. Some specs might be slightly better depending on gear scaling... which means to eliminate the affect of BiS gearing, you should load up your gear into a SiM and have it crunch the numbers for your current toon. The results might surprise you.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer

Re: [Classes] Warlock 5.0.5

All I know about warlocks is that Chaos Bolt makes leveling silly (conflag conflag bolt loot), and that hearing the phrase "oh I have Unending Resolve?" from my warlock when we're dying to Force and Verve makes me very very angry.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

yeah... I hear Chaos Bolt takes like an hour to cast, too.
Jodokast
join:2012-05-10

Jodokast to Goldheart

to Goldheart

I was Demo ever since the start of the game, i swore i would be demo for life or nothing. THEN MoP came out, i abhore, hate, HATE how demo mechanics work, so i broke my own word and switch to destro, i do pretty well with destro its at least fun, wish demo wasnt so twitchy i had almost deleted my lock becuase of how demo is, but i just couldnt do it, my lock has been my "main" for a long time and almost all my achievements have been done by him.
Jodokast

Jodokast to Immer

to Immer

I love the visual of chaos bolt, but its hard to work in since the cast time really is a long time lol, you can get more dps just casting conflag? a few times in the same amount of time it takes to cast bolt, but when i have three embers built up ill cast the spell that boosts my crit chance and then cast bolts back to back just refreshing between bolts to keep immolate up then go back to building up embers, rinse n repeat. with Destro i can at least cast and watch whats going on in the game at the same time, afflict you have to stare at your toon just about the whole time to watch whats on cd, whats running out, just way to much spell maintenance

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Goldheart

Premium Member

to Goldheart

I like my demonology lock. He's been fun to play for a weeks now, compared to before. I hope they leave them the way they are.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger to Jodokast

Premium Member

to Jodokast

Chaos bolt is always a crit btw. No need to burn the extra crit CD when casting it. I usually pop the CD when I'm low on embers as incenerate and fel flame crits build burning embers faster. It's usually a good idea to use at the beginning of a fight to build embers quickly, throw out some chaos bolts, then pop everytime you are low on embers and the fight mechanics allow it.

Edit: Sorry I think this thread was actually intended to be an AFF Lock guide.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
I haven't played this game in two years and that affliction rotation sounds like what I was using back then. I always liked affliction for raiding because your dots still tick while you're moving around and refresh when you stop moving and cast your filler spells. Only real difference is that we used to use Shadow Bolt as pre-20% filler instead of Malefic Grasp (which must be new).

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Bodybagger

Premium Member

to Bodybagger
said by Bodybagger:

no, the entire thread should be "Warlock", but if you are posting a specific spec guide just add "(Demonology)" or "(Destruction)" to the title of your reply post. Quick replies to the Affliction guide post should carry the appropriate subject line in them.

...and I'm just following forum methodology that works well in online classes. Not really a DSLR etiquette standard by any means.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to footballdude

Premium Member

to footballdude
it is new, but i like it being channeled instead of casted, aff is very fun, i was always a destro when i played but i have switched, its just more fun to me now.

Goldheart
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Bodybagger

to Bodybagger
said by Bodybagger:

Chaos bolt is always a crit btw. No need to burn the extra crit CD when casting it. I usually pop the CD when I'm low on embers as incenerate and fel flame crits build burning embers faster. It's usually a good idea to use at the beginning of a fight to build embers quickly, throw out some chaos bolts, then pop everytime you are low on embers and the fight mechanics allow it.

If you're talking about Backdraft that doesn't provide a crit, it reduces the cast time of the next 3 incinerates or 1 chaos bolt by 30%. Game guides usually say if you have 3 up, cast incinerate, otherwise chaos bolt.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger

Premium Member

No I thought he was talking about Dark Soul which gives you an increased crit chance in destro I do believe. I couldn't think of the name at the time of typing the reply.
Jodokast
join:2012-05-10

Jodokast

its ok, im at work and dont have all the spells memorized, ill update tomarrow once i get my facts straight

Goldheart
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Bodybagger

to Bodybagger
Ah right, Dark Soul: Instability does increase crit chance by 30% for 20 seconds.

The glyph of Dark Soul has a passive bonus of 3% to crit (except on cooldown) but at the cost of only 20% bonus. Could be useful.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Goldheart

to Goldheart

I'm with you Goldheart, Destro seems much simpler to me as well. I was Destro pre-MOP but when I say the gap in the noxxic stats, I switched over to Aff for MOP. Before long I was switching back and forth between Destro and Aff; I think leveling for me was about the same either way, it was more of a boredom issue with Aff. (plus I like to burn shit)(I love to listen to the sound of the crackle in my head phones as those fire spells heat up). At some point though I was outdoing dps with destro so I never went back to Aff. Now that I'm in the dungeons and raids and there is so much need for AOE, Aff is probably the better choice (though some are holding out for the cataclysm spell in 5.1).

I think if I went Aff for any extended period of time I'd have to switch all my macros over to mouseover macros.

One last thing, one site that I never see mentioned much that I like to use for reference is maxdps.com. It lists out the top 30 or so pieces of gear for each slot and the dps contributed by each. Helps especially when leveling to see whether it is really worth swapping out for that new higher ilvl piece when you just gemmed and enchanted the existing one.

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D to Goldheart

Premium Member

to Goldheart

said by Goldheart:

Ah right, Dark Soul: Instability does increase crit chance by 30% for 20 seconds.

The glyph of Dark Soul has a passive bonus of 3% to crit (except on cooldown) but at the cost of only 20% bonus. Could be useful.

This might be implied, but to be specific ...

The glyph is only good if you expect Dark Soul to be off cooldown due to sandbagging for higher damage phases or some such. Otherwise, it should generally be on CD constantly, so it ends up being a pure nerf.

That said, I use it for questing because I'm not usually blowing DS to kill 3 mobs.

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to Jodokast

Premium Member

to Jodokast

I agree with you on the Demonology change. I liked Metamorphosis being a cooldown, instead of switching in and out. Maybe it'll just take some getting used to. I went Destro for now leveling up, perhaps once I hit 90 and dungeons I'll give Demo another shot.

And yeah, I avoided Affliction because of the watching DoTs/timers/cooldowns bit.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] Warlock 5.0.5 (Demonology)

Click for full size
Noxxic Demo Spec Recommendation
www.Noxxic.com/wow/pve/warlock/Demonology

Stat Priority:
Intellect > Spell Hit (15%) > Crit > Mastery > Haste

• Intellect Increases damage dealt by spells and slightly increases critical strike chance.
• Spell Hit (15%) Any Hit Rating will increase your chance to hit and at 15% Hit (5100 Rating) your spells can no longer miss on bosses. To check your hit percentage, open your character panel and then check under the Spell tab for "Hit Chance." The choice of how much Hit to stack comes down to your comfort level with missing and reapplying DoTs. Thanks to Pandemic, Warlocks have room to spare in their rotation but heavy misses can make the rotation difficult to manage. Stack as much Hit as needed (up to 15%) to maintain a comfortable rotation.
• Mastery: Master Demonologist increases the damage dealt by your demons and your damage in both caster and Metamorphosis form.
• Haste Reduces cast time, lowers GCD, and can gives extra ticks to your DoTs.
• Crit Increases the chance for your attacks to critically hit for 200% damage.

Reforging:
1. Check for 15% Spell Hit If you are not at or above 15% Hit, then reforge your gear until you are at the Hit cap. On any gear without Hit, reforge the weakest stat (see stat priority) into Hit Rating or Expertise. Do this until you are at or slightly above 15%.
2. Optimize Secondary Stats On any gear without Crit or Mastery, reforge the weakest stat (see priority) into Crit or Mastery as available.

Major Glyphs 5.0.5

• {Glyph of Siphon Life} Recommended. Provides a small survivability boost.
• {Glyph of Demonic Circle} Optional. Good for high movement fights.
• {Glyph of Demon Hunting} Optional. Become a backup tank.
• {Glyph of Imp Swarm} Optional. Good for fights with key burst phases.
• {Glyph of Soulstone} Optional. Improved utility for saving players.

Minor Glyphs 5.0.5

• {Glyph of Shadow Bolt} Required. Slightly improves procs from Shadow Bolt.
• {Glyph of Crimson Banish} Optional. New color on Banish can be used to identify targets.
• {Glyph of Enslave Demon} Optional. Useful if you get to enslave a strong add.

Single Target Rotation - 5.0.5

Demonic Fury Builders: Follow this priority to build Demonic Fury.
• Corruption Maintain at all times.
• Hand of Gul'dan Maintain at all times.
• Soul Fire with Molten Core proc.
• Shadow Bolt as a filler spell.
• Fel Flame when on the move, but not to extend Corruption.

Metamorphosis Priority: Follow this priority while in Metamorphosis demon form.
• Enter Metamorphosis at > 900 Demonic Fury.
• Metamorphosis: Doom Maintain at all times.
• Metamorphosis: Touch of Chaos as a filler spell and to refresh Corruption.
• Exit Metamorphosis at ~750 Demonic Fury.
Demonology Warlock DPS involves building up Demonic Fury to then enter Metamorphosis and spend the Demonic Fury on powerful demon form abilities. To build Demonic Fury, maintain Corruption and use Hand of Gul'dan as much as possible without overwriting Shadowflame. Use Soul Fire to consume Molten Core procs. Use Shadow Bolt as a filler spell.

When Demonic Fury goes above 900, activate Metamorphosis. Now, maintain Metamorphosis: Doom at all times. Use Metamorphosis: Touch of Chaos as a filler spell or to refresh your Corruption. When Demonic Fury goes below 750, end Metamorphosis and resume the Demonic Fury Building rotation. Only stay in Metamorphosis below 750 Demonic Fury if Dark Soul: Knowledge is still up or the target will die in Demon: Use the Summon Felguard as your pet for single target DPS. Activate its Felguard: Felstorm with Command Demon as often as possible.

AoE Rotation - 5.0.5

• Hand of Gul'dan
• Harvest Life
• Metamorphosis: Void Ray
• Metamorphosis: Immolation Aura

In caster form, apply Corruption on as many targets as possible while casting Hand of Gul'dan on cooldown. Use Harvest Life as a filler (if available) to help build Demonic Fury.
If Metamorphosis is ready, activate it and apply Metamorphosis: Doom to as many targets as possible. Use Metamorphosis: Void Ray to refresh any Corruption you cast earlier. Finally, activate Metamorphosis: Immolation Aura. You may use Carrion Swarm as long as the knock back is not a problem.

Demon: Use Command Demon with the Summon Felguard to activate its Felguard: Felstorm ability for AoE DPS.

Effective Cooldowns - 5.0.5

These effective cooldowns are available if you chose them in your talent build.
• Kil'jaeden's Cunning Use as needed for penalty-free casting during raid movement.
• Grimoire of Service Use on cooldown for a 2nd Summon Felguard.

These are effective cooldowns to try and incorporate into most all encounters.
• Dark Soul: Knowledge Use on cooldown. Stack with Metamorphosis.
• Summon Infernal Use for burst AoE DPS. Exclusive with Summon Doomguard.
• Summon Doomguard Use for burst single target DPS. Exclusive with Summon Infernal.
Immer

Immer to stonhinge

Premium Member

to stonhinge

said by stonhinge:

And yeah, I avoided Affliction because of the watching DoTs/timers/cooldowns bit.

Might this pain be mitigated a bit with some modification of the UI? Perhaps FortXorcist, Gnosis, or even RoguePowerBars (because they track debuffs, bleeds, combo points and dots). Or is afflic still twisty even with a good UI?

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

2 edits

Nick D

Premium Member

Affliction is a Cata Shadow Priest.

Keep up 3 dots
Spam a channel
Use a cast-time spell to keep up a buff on roughly a 6 second CD.

EDIT: its by far the most tricky to micromanage of the 3 specs, in terms of rote rotation (and destro is by far the easiest).

It feels like a flip from Cata where Destro was playing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and Afflic was Moonlight Sonata.

Or Yngwie Malmsteen vs Billie Joe Armstrong

Or Busta Rhymes vs Linkin Park

I mean, pick your favorite analogy here.

stonhinge
Premium Member
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
If I need an addon specifically for one spec of one class, I pass on that spec. I try and keep my UI ... well, not quite minimalistic, but sparse compared to some.

Now if my main was and had been a warlock, I might consider it. I've been content tanking Cataclysm and MoP so far. Besides, i tend to be the most "active" player outside of raids in my raid, so having a tank with slightly better gear than the rest of the raid is probably a bit better than waiting on a tank to gear up.

I've gone from Rogue > Warrior in vanilla (switched to prot warrior because one of our tanks in MC was flaking out on us. Leveled prot out of apparent sado-masochism.), enh shaman in BC, elemental shaman in Wrath, then prot warrior and prot paladin in 2 Cataclysm raids. I'll probably keep on tanking as things go forward on my monk, but we do have a DK in my current raid who would like to tank, although letting him and out warrior trade off might work out better.

I do understand that some people like classes with the micromanagement, but I'm a person who would prefer either difficult encounters or a difficult (to master) class - not both at once.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

totally understand. Just thought I'd might toss out and idea.

stonhinge
Premium Member
Topeka, KS

stonhinge

Premium Member

True, other people might find it useful.

Lately I've just been using WeakAuras for a few things like shuffle/stagger, and Inquisition/holy power on my paladin. Makes it easier to put the info I feel I need right where I want it. Any time I need to track more than 2 things for myself to be optimum, I start feeling a bit overwhelmed when combined with the chaos that can be a raid boss.

Goldheart
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Immer

to Immer

For destro noxxic.com and icy-veins.com seem to have different recommendations for the talents.

Icy claims sacrifice has the best dps where noxxic claims supremacy does.

Elitist Jerks show about the same for pets and for sacrifice.

I suppose if sacrifice is about the same there are a couple schools of thought. No pet = no pet management. However some pets can buff the party. Imp for health for example.

Suniojii
join:2009-10-31
Lakeside, CA

1 edit

Suniojii to Immer

to Immer
Affliction top dps parses use Archy's Vengeance vs Kil'jaeden. Also, affliction only needs spell hit to 8%.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

why is the hit so low Suni?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer to Suniojii

Premium Member

to Suniojii

Re: [Classes] Warlock 5.0.5 (Affliction)

said by Suniojii:

Affliction top dps parses use Archy's Vengeance vs Kil'jaeden. Also, affliction only needs spell hit to 8%.

I think the locks here could use a reference for the 8% hit cap claim... everywhere I look says 15%.

As for the top parses using Archimonde's Vengeance, that probably has more to do with the encounter design than raw potential of the talent/spec/player. Base talent specs are for baseline guides. Once mastered, the idea behind the current talent tree/glyph approach is to game (min/max) each encounter for more dynamic gameplay.

The tough thing about Simulations is I don't think they run with a "boss does X amount of dmg/sec to player"... so the SIM probably can't quantify the value of Archimonde's Vengeance properly.
said by IcyVeins :

Tier 6 talents provide situational DPS increases.

• Archimonde's Vengeance causes your target to suffer 25% of all the damage you take for 8 seconds. It has a 2-minute cooldown. When the ability is off cooldown, enemies who attack you suffer 5% of all the damage they deal to you.
• Kil'jaeden's Cunning enables you to cast and channel while moving for 6 seconds. It has a 1-minute cooldown. This talent also grants you a passive effect, which allows you to cast and channel while moving but the cast/channel time of your spells is increased by 50% and each cast reduces your movement speed by 10% for 6 seconds (stacking up to 2 times). This passive effect is disabled when Kiljaeden's Cunning is on cooldown.
• Mannoroth's Fury increases the area of your AoE spells by 500%. The wording of the tooltip is rather poor. What this talent really does is increase the radius of your AoE spells by roughly 125% (so the radius is multiplied by 2.25), which causes the area affected by your AoE spells to become 5 times bigger (source=wowhead).

All of these talents have situational use. Kil'jaeden's Cunning Icon Kil'jaeden's Cunning will be useful in movement-heavy fights. Mannoroth's Fury Icon Mannoroth's Fury will be nigh-mandatory in AoE-heavy fights where enemies are loosely stacked. Archimonde's Vengeance will be the default choice and can be used when you will regularly take a large amount of unavoidable damage (if Soul Link is active, the damage done to your pet will also be dealt back to the enemies).

edit: So, if you have the rest of your rotation down, uptime maximized/optimized on all of your dmg dealing abilities, and you are taking a lot of unavoidable dmg... give Archimonde's Vengeance a try to see if it will increase your dmg output.