united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to RobThompson

Re: ipkall number used by another GV account?

Google Voice used to allow you to "take ownership" of a phone number that someone else has claimed as long as you were able to receive a call at that number and enter a verification code. (I know this because people at work would keep taking ownership of my phone extension.)

Perhaps they don't allow this anymore?

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

You are absolutely correct. GV did exactly what you said!

My problem was that I did not setup my iptel.org account properly. As soon as I found and fixed the problem there, the verification call came through on my Sipdroid app.

Ugly voice quality but I was able to enter the verification code!

Thanks for your help.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

Sean1

@bell.ca

Out of curiosity, do you find the iptel + ipkall + GV combo to work out better than the standalone Dell Voice app?

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

Hi Sean1:

First, I am not a 'whiz' at all of this communication stuff so please excuse any technical errors that I make.

I have tried a few 'data only WiFi 3G/4G' setups like Dell Voice, Sipdroid, Talkatone and I can't remember all the others.

I found that the reception & voice quality, unless I am at home hovering around my router, is very spotty, and, not pleasant.

So, the direct answer to your question is, yes, iptel + ipkall + GV gives me a much better telephony experience, and, for the people that I speak to also. This, I believe, is because all my calls are over the *cell phone network*, not the data network.

Right now I am testing the voxox.com + GV configuration and it works just fine. I am using this configuration because you get a free US number from voxox.com, that you forward to your cell phone. You use the voxox.com number in GV.

The big benefit of a 'data only' setup is that you do not need to pay for 'unlimited incoming calls' with you cell provider - you just need to pay for data, which is cheaper than minutes.

With GV, you use just a tiny bit of data to initiate the call and then you're off data and back to the cell network.

All of this because GV nullified forwarding to my freephoneline 403 area code number!

There maybe additional advantages in using Dell Voice but reception & voice quality are what is most important to me.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/