All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jonp
join:2011-11-05

jonp

[Chicago] Upgrading internet speed?

I've been having issues with my internet and the tech that came out to my house recently suggested that I call to get it upgraded. The tier 1 operator I spoke to said the 3.0MB plan wasn't available in my area. I'm little over a half a block away from the VRAD so I'm at a loss.

Should I call back and try to get connected to Sales and see if they could push it through?
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99

Just because a VRAD is half block from your house, it doesn't mean it serves your house. You could served by another box that is way farther from you.

You're not saying what issues do you have with the internet. You're saying its too slow? If the best you can get is 1.5 mb, and 3.0 is not available, many sites will load slow. And since its your only available speed, you are most likely on old DSL, not U-verse.

You may have to switch to cable or a wireless regional operator.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to jonp

Premium Member

to jonp
What modem model do you (OP) have?
jonp
join:2011-11-05

jonp

said by chgo_man99:

Just because a VRAD is half block from your house, it doesn't mean it serves your house. You could served by another box that is way farther from you.

You're not saying what issues do you have with the internet. You're saying its too slow? If the best you can get is 1.5 mb, and 3.0 is not available, many sites will load slow. And since its your only available speed, you are most likely on old DSL, not U-verse.

You may have to switch to cable or a wireless regional operator.

I'm aware of that, but I'm confidant that this particular VRAD services my neighborhood. I could be wrong as well. What I mean by slow is I'm supposed to be getting 1-1.5MB on a 1.5MB connection, but the highest I'm able to get is .6MB down. I don't know what the issue is as all the jacks and wiring in my house is new. I'm guessing that the noise on the line is getting to be too much as I'm like 11000 feet from the CO. I most likely have Uverse branded DSL, which I was fine with, but this drop in speed has me unsatisfied.

I have already considered getting Clear or Comcast, but I'm not trying to switch from AT&T at the moment.
said by ILpt4U:

What modem model do you (OP) have?

NVG510.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Can you or any of your direct neighbors (to the left, right, "back to back", across the steet, etc) order U-Verse TV services?

NVG510 means right now you have U-Verse IPDSLAM ADSL2+, which is typically CO-based. There are some VRADs out there that do have ADSL2+ cards in them, but they are few and far between

If you can order U-Verse TV service, that means that U-Verse VDSL2 is available, in which case faster internet would be as well