Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

[Parts Check] CPU/GPU requirements for transcoding video server

I'm looking to set up a quick and dirty transcoding box that can feed and transcode .MKVs to a PS3, and run Squeezebox Server/LMS

What would be the min CPU speeds required to do the trancoding? I was doing fine on an old laptop running an intel core duo for serving only but no transcoding; but this build would definitely involve transcoding.

I'll be using Xubuntu and serving up Printer Shares, NFS and Samba shares and probably running PS3 Media Server as well as SBS/LMS

Your feedback is always welcome.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Re: [Parts Check] CPU/GPU requirements for transcoding video ser

It would be cheaper to just buy a popcorn hour or a WD tv live to be honest. They use like < 10W (way, way less than a PS3) power wise, and no transcoding is required (for the most part).
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by pflog:

It would be cheaper to just buy a popcorn hour or a WD tv live to be honest. They use like < 10W (way, way less than a PS3) power wise, and no transcoding is required (for the most part).

The TV is only here for the Winter so I'm looking to put together a solution rather than buying something else. I have a dual core AMD that's collecting dust so I'm trying to figure out if it'll cut the mustard for the transcoding.
--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
Personally, I'd just use the old AMD dual core and hook it up to the TV with a $20 Geforce 210 or ATI 5450 and run XBMC on it.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by pflog:

The TV is only here for the Winter so I'm looking to put together a solution rather than buying something else. I have a dual core AMD that's collecting dust so I'm trying to figure out if it'll cut the mustard for the transcoding.

A dual core AMD is going to be quite slow at this. I'm trying to remember if it was 720p or 1080p video, but my old Q9550 quad core Intel Core 2 Quad, using all cores, could barely eek out 20 fps conversion rate. That's less than realtime.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by pflog:

A dual core AMD is going to be quite slow at this. I'm trying to remember if it was 720p or 1080p video, but my old Q9550 quad core Intel Core 2 Quad, using all cores, could barely eek out 20 fps conversion rate. That's less than realtime.

Something to think about...

I had a Q6700 in the previous incarnation of my production rig and I seem to recall the rates being better than that; on ps3media server with Ubuntu, mind you this was 3+ years ago so I don't have any real world examples right now.
--

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA
reply to El Quintron
If you were running Windows, I'd have suggested a Gen2 or Gen3 Intel Core processor and utilize QuickSync. Can transcode full movies in a matter of minutes. But you have to have one of the apps that support QuickSync, and I don't think there are any for Linux at this point, which is quite a shame actually.

I've transcoded 1GB .mkv files in like 4 minutes on my Gen3 Core i5.
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by ccallana:

I've transcoded 1GB .mkv files in like 4 minutes on my Gen3 Core i5.

That's fast. I'm looking for an on-the-fly transcoder, so that the PS3 can play them but I'm not looking for any permanent rip.
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Gordo74
said by Gordo74:

Personally, I'd just use the old AMD dual core and hook it up to the TV with a $20 Geforce 210 or ATI 5450 and run XBMC on it.

Agreed. It'll probably not be able to handle much above 480p transcoding.
--
KI6RIT