uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to fifty nine

to fifty nine

Re: Hopeless or possible? HDTV OTA

»www.tvfool.com/?option=c ··· 076ecc4a

The target stations are the ones in yellow @ 143 degrees.
The other ones above at 91 degrees are very local, so no issues with a smaller antenna.

Tree removal isn't really something I'd do just to get free OTA. I'm not that desperate to get OTA (I was willing to just give up)

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by alkizmo:

»www.tvfool.com/?option=c ··· 076ecc4a

The target stations are the ones in yellow @ 143 degrees.
The other ones above at 91 degrees are very local, so no issues with a smaller antenna.

Tree removal isn't really something I'd do just to get free OTA. I'm not that desperate to get OTA (I was willing to just give up)

That actually isn't bad. You should be able to get that with a good rooftop antenna and a preamp.

I would recommend the 4 bay bowties. Channel Master and Winegard makes some good ones. I have the old style channel master 4228 as I mentioned.

The Antennas Direct 91XG will do good as well but yagi-corner reflector antennas tend to favor the higher channels more.

Also you have one station (channel 13 real, 22.1 virt) on VHF so you need a VHF antenna. The CM4228 may work but I would recommend a Winegard YA1713 yagi. You'd need a combiner as well such as the UVSJ by pico macom.

Solidsignal.com is my goto place for antenna supplies.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

alkizmo

said by fifty nine:

The Antennas Direct 91XG will do good as well but yagi-corner reflector antennas tend to favor the higher channels more.

Also you have one station (channel 13 real, 22.1 virt) on VHF so you need a VHF antenna. The CM4228 may work but I would recommend a Winegard YA1713 yagi. You'd need a combiner as well such as the UVSJ by pico macom.

Solidsignal.com is my goto place for antenna supplies.

Well that ONE channel isn't going to make me buy a dedicated VHF antenna. I already need a second VHF/UHF antenna to pick up the local stations at 91 degrees.

However if you do say the CM4228 would work nicely to get the channels 85 miles away (143 degrees), then maybe it can pick up ABC. If it doesn't, no big deal.

Think there's a way to use the CM4228 to catch the local channels AND the US channels? They are 52 degrees apart.
said by fifty nine:

If aimed properly I can get most of what is on the report.

Most of what is green on the report? or most of the report TOTAL? If total, that's insane! Too bad for me that even if I can accomplish that, it's all the same channels, repeated.

However I guess I do have reason to make an effort for the local channels. I didn't notice the option for seeing "pending applications" for channels. When I clicked it, a LOT more channels appeared. It's mostly french though
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by alkizmo:

I already need a second VHF/UHF antenna to pick up the local stations at 91 degrees.

Not necessarily. You may be able to get it through a sidelobe. Check the antenna pattern.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Bob4:

You may be able to get it through a sidelobe. Check the antenna pattern.

Yeah people have been saying that often, but I don't see something like antenna pattern in the specs for the CM4228HD
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

»imageevent.com/holl_ands ··· enguin_s

EDIT: This appears to be a mathematical analysis, not actual measurements.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Bob4:

EDIT: This appears to be a mathematical analysis, not actual measurements.

Hmm it looks like I could get channels at 50 degrees off center, but I wouldn't get a dB gain. However I'd get 32 to 57 dB from the start.

Again my problem is that if I want to avoid the tree for the distant stations, I need to place the antenna on the garage, which its roof is lower than the rest of the house. The local channels would be blocked by the rest of the house.... unless I place the antenna as far to the back of my house, where maybe I'd get an edge of clearance.

I think I'll go for the CM4228HD, and try to see if I can get both sets of channels. If i can't, I'll get a second cheaper antenna.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Most of what is green on the report? or most of the report TOTAL? If total, that's insane! Too bad for me that even if I can accomplish that, it's all the same channels, repeated.

Most of the report, total.