share rss forum feed

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

[Info] Microsoft to drop Messenger, switch to Skype

quote:
w w w . c b s n e w s . c o m
Microsoft to drop Messenger, switch to Skype

Microsoft is scrapping its instant-messaging program and forcing most users to switch to Skype.

Maintaining Windows Live Messenger made less sense after Microsoft Corp. bought Skype for $8.5 billion last year. A new version of Skype released a few weeks ago allows users to sign in with a Microsoft account. By merging the two services, people won't have to maintain two separate contact lists.

Microsoft says much has changed in how people communicate. There's more use of text messaging and social networking, for instance.

Microsoft said in Tuesday's announcement that Messenger users who switch to Skype will get benefits such as the ability to call landline and mobile phones and better support on mobile devices.

Except for mainland China, Messenger will be discontinued worldwide after the first quarter of 2013.

More @ »www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-575···o-skype/

Related:
DSLR: »It's official. Goodbye Windows live Messenger. Hello Skype..
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
Just tried to sign into my Hotmail account using Skype and it failed.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by tonyram57:

Just tried to sign into my Hotmail account using Skype and it failed.

What version are you running? As Gone Fishing See Profile quoted in his post, there was a new version of Skype that came out a few weeks ago, which is Version 6.0.0.120 (see screen shot).

I've never had a hotmail account (or MSN Messenger account) so I cannot test to see if it is working. But, check your version to make sure this is the one you are running. If not, you should be able to download it directly from Skype's homepage.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to Gone Fishing
Good messenger programs to use as replacement?

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Gone Fishing
I was running version 5. The useless update feature said that Skype was up to date. I downloaded version 6 off the Skype site the business version had to remove version 5 first and now I was able to migrate my Microsoft account with Skype.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Gone Fishing
I have a Skype account with a Gmail address, i installed Windows 8 and opened a new live account (Hotmail) for that tablets login. When i tried to use Skype and entered my Current Skype Gmail address it wanted to merge that account with my live Hotmail Windows 8 login account and make me stop using the old gmail address for Skype. I canceled out of it and created a new Skype account with that live hotmail address.

I did not want to make everyone start using a new e-mail address even though Skype might of still worked fine for everyone in my contact list as long as they only look at my name and not my email address.

Also the Windows 8 install was only a test PC to play with Windows 8 i did not want to make that my final address for Skype.
So be warned Microsoft will try and make you use a Windows Live account to us Skype if it know you have one.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to tonyram57
Goodbye Windows live Messenger.....that sucks.
Microsoft shoving unwanted programs down our throats and discontinuing programs people like and have used for many years.

I am disgusted.

It was a light-weight easy way to stay in touch, now ruined.

join:2012-10-29
reply to Gone Fishing
I have given up Messenger and switched to Skype.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing
Skype is remote desktop to your computer, has a back door too.

Good luck with that.

Plus they want you to pay for stuff...

quote:
You are allowing another Skype user remote access to your document or browser window. You can choose which apps they can see, or allow them to see your entire Desktop.............

..........Your instant messaging (IM) communications content may be stored by Skype (a) to convey and synchronise your messages and (b) to enable you to retrieve the messages and history where possible. IM messages are currently stored for a maximum of 30 days unless otherwise permitted or required by law

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to Gone Fishing
I always wanted to say something but did not want to make a thread, I used to have at least 5+ friends on live messenger for the longest time, but now hardly any come on at all anymore.. had me wondering why.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
reply to Cartel
Every since Microsoft took over, Skype no longer allows Desktop sharing unless you have purchased the premium version of Skype.

I had used this before but it no longer will work and takes you to the upgrade to premium page.

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to Cartel
how do you block that so they cant see all the naked pics you have of poeple you chat with on skype ?

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
i missed microsoft msn messenger, now called windows live messenger, but no body goes on there any more, skipe is still popular, when im logged on i see atleast 15 ppl online thats a good ting
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
said by Paolo:

i missed microsoft msn messenger, now called windows live messenger, but no body goes on there any more

Trying to figure out why to this, I had at least 10+ people on live messenger but then pretty much no one goes on it now.