Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

WiiU has no digital optical sound port!

Really Nintendo? WTF was they thinking? That is pretty standard and so many people use that. They expect people to play it through tv speakers?!?!? Unless you have a receiver that has hdmi. You are sol it seems.

carp
Rejected

join:2002-10-30

WOW! good to know, thanks!

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
reply to KoRnGtL15

Nintendo is always behind in technology. This is no surprise. It's like Apple really.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Voodoo
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Mount Arlington, NJ
reply to KoRnGtL15

I'm no audiophile but when I bought my sound system a few years back it seemed like all of the receivers I looked at have HDMI nowadays no?
--
1010011010 - The Number of the Beast

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

1 edit
reply to KoRnGtL15

I actually play all game audio through my TV. I don't have a receiver. It's a non-issue for me. I can see how it would bug some people, but the majority of gamers that I know do not have receivers. They connect their consoles directly to the TV, or, one of those cheap-o system switchers from Gamestop.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to MuDvAyNe

said by MuDvAyNe:

Nintendo is always behind in technology. This is no surprise. It's like Apple really.

So since they didn't include technology from 10 years ago they are behind? It has HDMI, how is that putting them behind in technology?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to KoRnGtL15

If anything, it sounds like it is time for you to update your receiver then. Then again, wasn't there like some adapter for this kinda stuff? HDMI on one end,l but then would have the optical/coax out on the other for the audio portion?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

JBear

join:2005-02-24
canada

Is there some video degradation when passing through a receiver? If so I can see the advantage of having HDMI straight to TV and Optical to the receiver.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

I could see this being an argument from analog sources (e.g. everything up to Component Video and VGA), but it seems like you'd have to try in order to fuck up a digital connection like HDMI or DVI
--
Because, f*ck Sony

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to JBear

said by JBear:

Is there some video degradation when passing through a receiver?

No, there is not. It's all digital, baby.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1
reply to C0deZer0

my tv has HDMI in, and optical out, lets think about that for a second.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Strangely though, I've also encountered some TV's that for some reason, even with optical will only output audio in stereo. Bizarre, innit?
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to BonezX

said by BonezX:

The optical out is usually for the built in QAM/ATSC tuner. Some TVs will also mix down other HDMI/analog sources to the optical out so you don't need a separate full-fledged receiver.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to KoRnGtL15

Most people with consoles still use their tv speakers.

Luckily I have a set up that lets me use the hdmi sound to get 5.1 out of my system.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

said by MuDvAyNe:

So since they didn't include technology from 10 years ago they are behind? It has HDMI, how is that putting them behind in technology?

I assume the WiiU has ONE HDMI port. And since that one has to go to the TV how can you plug a HMDI cord into a sound receiver?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

2 recommendations

said by 88615298:

said by ptrowski:

said by MuDvAyNe:

I assume the WiiU has ONE HDMI port. And since that one has to go to the TV how can you plug a HMDI cord into a sound receiver?

Why wouldn't you connect it like this: WiiU => Receiver => TV -- I mean, that's how my Wii, PS3, Roku, and HTPC are all connected to my one TV... with just one HDMI port on the TV in use.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

said by BonezX:

The optical out is usually for the built in QAM/ATSC tuner. Some TVs will also mix down other HDMI/analog sources to the optical out so you don't need a separate full-fledged receiver.

last i tested mine sources all audio out through optical if it's connected.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by ptrowski:

said by MuDvAyNe:

my receiver (Denon AVR-1612)

It has a HDMI out which goes to the TV and 4 HDMI inputs for whatever source, given HDMI can do audio and video on the same cable it's not an issue.

For the TV I do have an optical cable hooked to my receiver.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to 88615298

Easily. It plugs into my receiver just like the Xbox, Playstation etc does and the receiver switches from there. All my HDMI components go into the receiver and one HDMI goes to the tv.

Or you could run HDMI to the tv and the tv to the receiver.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

Using optical over HDMI makes zero sense.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I don't think my tv supports ARC I have to double check but its no big deal to me

lololol

@verizon.net
reply to ptrowski

unless you have a receiver that doesn't have hdmi inputs like me that cost a grand back in 2005 and cant afford to replace it with one that sounds as good.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

I hear HDMI switchers are less than receivers...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to lololol

I got my denon for like $176 about 4 weeks ago the model that replaces it is $275 you don't have to spend $1000 to get a model with Hdmi

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

Unless it's one of those setups where the cables for the speakers are made specifically for that receiver. Yes, even now, that shit happens.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by C0deZer0:

Unless it's one of those setups where the cables for the speakers are made specifically for that receiver. Yes, even now, that shit happens.

What are you talking about?

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

A lot of HTiB's are still sold with proprietary, non-standard cabling keyed to the receiver they were sold with. So, at that point, it then becomes a factor of replacing the whole setup instead of just the receiver.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Oh HTiB I've heard so much bad things about them I knew to stay clear right now I have my Denon with my Logitech Z680's speakers and I hooked the sub up so I don't need a control pod for it to work.

It's enough to hold me until I get my proper setup next month, HTiB are too limiting.. it might look good then but say 5 years down the road it can be a setback.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

Why wouldn't you connect it like this: WiiU => Receiver => TV -- I mean, that's how my Wii, PS3, Roku, and HTPC are all connected to my one TV... with just one HDMI port on the TV in use.

LOL! That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Seems like some people are just looking for things to complain about.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to MuDvAyNe

said by MuDvAyNe:

Right - Sony and MS did not have a controller like ANYTHING Nintendo had for a few YEARS after Nintendo took it to retail.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain