share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to ptrowski

Re: WiiU has no digital optical sound port!

I don't think my tv supports ARC I have to double check but its no big deal to me

lololol

@verizon.net
reply to ptrowski
unless you have a receiver that doesn't have hdmi inputs like me that cost a grand back in 2005 and cant afford to replace it with one that sounds as good.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
I hear HDMI switchers are less than receivers...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to lololol
I got my denon for like $176 about 4 weeks ago the model that replaces it is $275 you don't have to spend $1000 to get a model with Hdmi

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
Unless it's one of those setups where the cables for the speakers are made specifically for that receiver. Yes, even now, that shit happens.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by C0deZer0:

Unless it's one of those setups where the cables for the speakers are made specifically for that receiver. Yes, even now, that shit happens.

What are you talking about?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
A lot of HTiB's are still sold with proprietary, non-standard cabling keyed to the receiver they were sold with. So, at that point, it then becomes a factor of replacing the whole setup instead of just the receiver.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Oh HTiB I've heard so much bad things about them I knew to stay clear right now I have my Denon with my Logitech Z680's speakers and I hooked the sub up so I don't need a control pod for it to work.

It's enough to hold me until I get my proper setup next month, HTiB are too limiting.. it might look good then but say 5 years down the road it can be a setback.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Why wouldn't you connect it like this: WiiU => Receiver => TV -- I mean, that's how my Wii, PS3, Roku, and HTPC are all connected to my one TV... with just one HDMI port on the TV in use.

LOL! That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Seems like some people are just looking for things to complain about.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to MuDvAyNe
said by MuDvAyNe:

Nintendo is always behind in technology. This is no surprise. It's like Apple really.

Right - Sony and MS did not have a controller like ANYTHING Nintendo had for a few YEARS after Nintendo took it to retail.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

Why wouldn't you connect it like this: WiiU => Receiver => TV -- I mean, that's how my Wii, PS3, Roku, and HTPC are all connected to my one TV... with just one HDMI port on the TV in use.

Wii u to the receiver? Why not the receiver to the tv, and then hdmi to the wii u?

You will need your devices connected to the tv if you want to take advantage of the wii u logitech harmony Tvii thing. It's the reason why I have everything connected to my tv for my logitech harmony.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
said by Metatron2008:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

Wii u to the receiver? Why not the receiver to the tv, and then hdmi to the wii u?

TV=>HDMI=>Wii makes no sense, it goes in the other direction and in which case, it would still go to the receiver first.

You will need your devices connected to the tv if you want to take advantage of the wii u logitech harmony Tvii thing. It's the reason why I have everything connected to my tv for my logitech harmony.

I don't know about your Logitech Harmony remote, but mine works just fine the way it's set up above, everything connected to the receiver first, and one HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV.

I'm not sure why having the TVii in the mix would change that... perhaps you could explain that?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by darcilicious:

TV=>HDMI=>Wii makes no sense, it goes in the other direction and in which case, it would still go to the receiver first.

I don't know about your Logitech Harmony remote, but mine works just fine the way it's set up above, everything connected to the receiver first, and one HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV.

I'm not sure why having the TVii in the mix would change that... perhaps you could explain that?

I'm thinking this guy really doesn't have a firm understanding of how this system works....
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

I'm thinking this guy really doesn't have a firm understanding of how this system works....

Agree.. it's so simple it really takes pretty much no thought.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
said by Subaru:

said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by darcilicious:

Agree.. it's so simple it really takes pretty much no thought.

Agreed. This really is basic stuff. Don't understand what this guy is complaining about. Seems to me that he's just looking for something to complain about the Wii U.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to KoRnGtL15
The optical port is a non issue.

People are nit picking just because they want to be dick bags and jump on the negative Nintendo bandwagon. This new system must be pretty good if this is all people can muster up to complain about.

Wii U could have released with a 1TB internal hard drive, and the same old tired trolls would have come in here complaining about how shitty this system is without a 2TB drive.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to KoRnGtL15
Its unlikely the WiiU would do DD encoding if it had S/PDIF so its only use would be 5.1 from Netflix. If you're a I can tell the difference between RCA and optical audiophile you have a HDMI AVR.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

1 recommendation

reply to KoRnGtL15
The Wii U system is great. If your tv sound sucks that bad that you need additional speakers, get a better tv

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
said by ebgbjo:

The Wii U system is great. If your tv sound sucks that bad that you need additional speakers, get a better tv

I don't think that's a fair assessment really. Some people like true surround sound, not just better sound coming from in front of them where the TV is. I can appreciate that fact - and if I had a better layout in my gaming area, I'd have gone that route quite a while ago. I enjoy watching or playing stuff and having the sound come from all around me. It's more immersive.

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

1 recommendation

That may be true, but you can't expect the video game makers to supply everything in one system, especially as cheap as 300-350$

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

1 recommendation

reply to KoRnGtL15
You don't need optical for digital sound with HDMI for PCM, DD, DTS or DSD.

For digital audio, if an HDMI device supports audio, it is required to support the baseline format: stereo (uncompressed) PCM. Other formats are optional, with HDMI allowing up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at sample sizes of 16-bit, 20-bit and 24-bit, with sample rates of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz and 192 kHz.[20][51] HDMI also supports any IEC 61937-compliant compressed audio stream, such as Dolby Digital and DTS, and up to 8 channels of one-bit DSD audio (used on Super Audio CDs) at rates up to four times that of Super Audio CD.[51] With version 1.3, HDMI supports lossless compressed audio streams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
reply to ebgbjo
$300-$350 cheap? And that is with out a game other then the pack in with the deluxe model. For the majority and in these tough times. That is a lot of money right now. Its a lot period actually. Unless you are rich, live comfortable or very successful in life. Then sure that is "cheap" and chump change.

said by ebgbjo:

That may be true, but you can't expect the video game makers to supply everything in one system, especially as cheap as 300-350$

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

1 edit
said by KoRnGtL15:

$300-$350 cheap? And that is with out a game other then the pack in with the deluxe model. For the majority and in these tough times. That is a lot of money right now. Its a lot period actually. Unless you are rich, live comfortable or very successful in life. Then sure that is "cheap" and chump change.

said by ebgbjo:

Considering that the lifespan of the average game system seems to be, what 4-7 years, in terms of how long it's developed for (and not just how long the hardware actually lasts) that's not a terribly expensive cost of ownership over that period of time. It seems lately when it comes to almost anything in the electronics realm, that has become cheap. I know people who easily blow more more than that in a month just from eating out a lot and buying coffee every morning.

I ended up ordering one for my daughter for Christmas, and two games. Yeah, it's not "cheap" - but it's an investment that's going to last for years, it's something that we can do together as a family, and it will provide a lot of entertainment and some great memories. Our local library even rents games at no cost, and it's backwards compatible with Wii games, so that's a whole other library of games that is accessible at a significantly reduced cost.

It's certainly a lot cheaper than most of the smartphones with 2 year contracts I see people running around with these days. I don't think you have to be "rich" to spend $350 on a game system every 4+ years or so. Despite an initial high buy-in, it's one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I've found over time compared to going to movies, concerts, out to bars, etc. I remember my parents grumbling about buying me a Super Nintendo when I was in 7th grade, but I've owned that for almost 20 years now. Even when you add the cost of games into the equation, when you consider the number of hours of playtime you get out of the average game, especially across multiple people in the household...

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to Subaru
My TV supports ARC, but my receiver doesn't. That's okay though. My TV has an optical digital output that will take the stream from the HDMI ports and send it to the receiver. Only thing that is a pain is that I have to turn off the unused sources in order for it to send the correct audio.

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
reply to KoRnGtL15
You bought an inferior product line, take it back, get another, better console, Enjoy it more

DaMonster

join:2011-05-19
Tucson, AZ
reply to KoRnGtL15
Im loving mine, playing zombieu and have not had this much fun on a console since halo 1 or baulders gate 2.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to KoRnGtL15
I am loving my wiiu, had a party friday and we spent the whole night playing the LOZ game that came with nintendo land. So much fun.