how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1

Any recomendations for a 24VDC Ethernet Switch ?

I need a 5 to 8 port Ethernet switch at 24 VDC.

This is for one of my offgrid sights and it's 24 volts. I've been using RB450's or 450G's but I'm outta bandwdith on them now. The 450 Maxed out at ~22Mbps, and the 450G at ~38Mbps, and I need something that can do 70 to 80 Mbps with real traffic (not the simulated benchmark optimized crap that they all want to quote) and runs at 24VDC.

Other than Ubiquiti's Vaporware anyone have a recommendation ?

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

What is the 450G doing that is causing it to bottleneck? I have a 450G terminating over 250 PPPoE sessions along with a handful of firewall rules, and regularly is hitting 30 megs and tops out around 40% to 50% CPU.

I'd think you would be able to get well above range you are looking for doing just raw routing/bridging, so I'm assuming it is doing quite a bit of processing???

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
reply to Semaphore

Dont the 450s have a switch chip in them? That should run a wire speed.

Same with the 493s, they have an 8 port switch chip thats will run at wire speed when enabled.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
reply to Semaphore

said by Semaphore:

Other than Ubiquiti's Vaporware anyone have a recommendation ?

This purports to be in stock.

»ubnt.ca/index.php?page=shop.prod···Itemid=1
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

soportec
Premium
join:2006-01-06
reply to Semaphore

»tyconpower.com/products/files/TP···heet.pdf

this is what we have used a few times or use a rb2011 has 10 ports and will run on 24vdc , we have them with well more bandwidth as switch or bridge.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to jcremin

LOL. I wish I knew - Majority of traffic on that segment average packet size is 150 bytes. CPU and Memory are fine it just won't pass more than 35 to 40 Mbps of real TCP Traffic. UDP I can get to about 90 Mbps on that same segment. I can iPerf test them to 70Mbps, but that's not real life. The only other places that I've had this issue I installed the 1100AHx2, which worked but I'd rather find a cheaper solution at 24vdc.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to Inssomniak

The only time I've ever tried to run a 450G as a switch the damn thing kept watch dogging on me, or it would randomly stop passing traffic for (only) some of the MAC's and I would have to kick the port. That was maybe 8 months ago - haven't tried it since.
I think the switch chip in the 450G is a bit of a clunker as there seem to be a lot of reports of odd behaviour. Pretty sure it's not the same chip as the straight 450.

Semaphore
Premium
reply to LLigetfa

Thx - I didn't see that in stock when I was looking. I'll get my buddy Shirely to send one today.... we'll see how that one goes.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to Semaphore

Damn.

As I just recently put in a 450G as a switch on a mountain solar site as it can natively give me voltage readings without installing extra equipment. (And it serves as a great battery warmer in the enclosure lol)

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to Semaphore

I have not even read about the UBNT switches, much less played with them---The nice thing about the MTKs is that you can plug them straight into a 27vdc(solar controller's output) without a 24vdc transformer like the UBNTs. We have one solar site that we had to install a 24vdc transformer only because UBNT can't take anything over 25v. It's really frustrating, not because of the cost of the transformer or the space(in this case we have the room), but because it really is one more point of failure. With that said, how are the RB2011 units working for anyone using them?

Semaphore
Premium
reply to voxframe

Mountaintops ? You don't got no stinkin mountaintops )

Semaphore
Premium
reply to Semaphore

Found this listing the different flavors of the Router board 'switches'.
»wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sw···Features
IMHO A switch without a host table is not a switch - it's a hub ) So the 450, 433, 493 and 816 are not switched.

Doesn't answer my problem of why that 450G didn't work as a switch except maybe it confirms the host table was busted somehow.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to Semaphore

Stupid question...

Firmware issue perhaps? (Hey I need to look for hope somehow)

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
reply to Semaphore

What about the 7240/7241 based RB750? 5 ports, 24v, host table included
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

dangerousd

join:2010-02-21
reply to Semaphore

Check out the Brocade 6910. They do a good job for us.

You can also have a looksee at a Korenix switches

Semaphore
Premium
reply to voxframe

That was when I was running 4.14 on anything MT that wasn't wireless. Actually I still am ) I had a tough time with OSPF resetting until I got to 4.14, and I haven't changed since. You could try something newer.

I looked at the brocade but can't see the power req's (maybe not enough coffee yet).

I never did get in touch with Shirley... but I might try the 750 - I have a bunch of 750UP's and they been deployed for ~5 months now as routers on smaller sites.