Search similar:

uniqs

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

[HN7000S] Will be getting Gen4

So we had a tough couple past months after trying to figure out what exactly was and still it causing problems with web browsing and connection.. My mom has had a tough time doing her homework cause she would need to use her phone for internet and me or my brother can't do our stuff neither at times.
I am all out of ideas of what the problem might be on our end, all cables have no damage at all, connectors are in good shape, modem is brand spanking new, no damage done with satellite because a tech came and took a look at it and said there was no problems but he did do some dusting he said.

All I have to say is Gen4? don't let me down...
Almost forgot- we are the first ones to get Gen4 in our entire state, ain't that a surprise

LetDown
@direcway.com

LetDown

Anon

If thats your only choice, more power to ya.

As for being a let down .... It always has been, and always will be!

markrpopp
join:2004-06-03
Appleton, NY

markrpopp to diablo18926

to diablo18926
I got Gen4 two weeks ago & very happy. Some times I forget that it's satellite internet. I had hughes-directway for 10 years & now have no issues with browsing watching videos!!

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by markrpopp:

I got Gen4 two weeks ago & very happy. Some times I forget that it's satellite internet. I had hughes-directway for 10 years & now have no issues with browsing watching videos!!

Tell me markrpopp, if my allowance runs dry, what happens after that? will i get to buy a token to refill it? if tokens even exist on Gen4, how much do they cost and how much in GB do they hold or are they only 500MB?
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123

They exist, but are too expensive. The 20GB anytime and 20GB at night is a good bit of browsing. But if you download a lot of files you may need more. The tokens are just way too much to even consider.

It doesn't cut you off, it cuts you down to like 156-256k download speeds if you run out all your cap. So you will still be able to browse and see emails if that happens. But it's pretty easy to keep up with.

And right now Gen 4 has no cap. They have it turned off. It resets every few hours. I don't know how long that will last.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by hughesnet123:

It doesn't cut you off, it cuts you down to like 156-256k download speeds if you run out all your cap. So you will still be able to browse and see emails if that happens. But it's pretty easy to keep up with.

Will the speed slowly decrease from there? or will it just sit at that speed? its probably too early to be asking this type of question since there still testing it, things may change.
hughesnet123

hughesnet123 to diablo18926

to diablo18926
It stays the same around there. It cuts you back to that until it refills.

Read my Gen 4 review in the forum if you want to see how I like it. It's working very well for me. I haven't been let down what so ever. It's amazing to have this out where I live. It's like living in the city and having cable internet again. I never dreamed this would happen honestly.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

ok thanks I toke a look.. how high is your ping?
hughesnet123

to diablo18926
Between 500 to 800 usually. It doesn't affect anything I do what so ever. Everything I do is literally about instant. Even downloading a large hour long mp3 downloads in about 3 or 4 seconds.

I don't play games or anything so the ping doesn't affect me.

anon
@direcway.com

anon to diablo18926

Anon

to diablo18926
sorry but HUGHES NET/GEN4 is one of the most restarted Net services ive ever come across they cheat you out of bandwidth an make you pay more for less an limit you if u put an web browser up they knock your kbs down to 56k an itl cause you to 1)loose net 2)slow internet and many other issues just LOOK it up
skewming
join:2007-08-19
Interlaken, NY

skewming to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
tokens: 500mb/$5
1gb/$9
2gb/$16
hughesnet123

hughesnet123 to anon

to anon
I'm not sure what you mean there Anon. Where I live Gen 4 is the best internet service. My parents have DSL and I'd pick hughes net over DSL. It's extremely fast and for me it has been more than reliable. I haven't power cycled one time. Nor have I ever had a webpage not load.

They aren't making me pay more for less. But they were before they went to Gen 4. Which is why I would not have hughesnet before gen 4. It was stupid to put a daily cap like that on there. Even with those low speeds. The 40GB cap is enough for most people.

At least those of us who live in places that we never thought we'd see internet this fast, it's definitely enough. We are used to having nothing or slow air cards with even more of an expensive cap.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Maybe anon lives in a different area, this could make a big difference on alot of things.. I would'nt be surprised the day we get our Gen4 it will work like real actual fiber cable cause like I said no one in my state has it except for us.
Right now I'm dl-ing at our max with our current plan at only 245kb/s it would be so nice to see that make a huge jump.

I seen the other provider company that has there service just 200 feet away the other day, be nice if they would allow us to have it but I doubt it, they can run a cable line from the pole up to our house, no problem but they already told us atleast ten times the answer is still no.
hughesnet123

hughesnet123

That could be the case. Or he could be one of these people who have a PC filled with spyware. I knew someone who had a solid 20MB cable connection but only got under 1MB download all the time. This was due to all the spyware on his PC. Same applies with Hughesnet, some people who do not know how to operate computers well, may think it's worse than it actually is.

Not many people have it where I live either. It is extremely fast. Even when it slows down it's not noticeable, only if you do a speed test. At night time it tends to go around 18-20MB down around 2MB up. In the day time it's between 10 and 15. I have seen 8 and 9 before.

Some people complain it doesn't stay at 15 all the time. But I honestly don't think anyone can tell if they are browsing the web at 11 or 15mb. Both will load a website pretty much as fast as you need it and download around the same time.

I think you'll like it. I know it's made my living experience in my new home much better. I am used to being outside with my air cards trying to get them to get a signal with expensive antenna's. It was a horrible experience. Could barely watch a youtube video.

As of tonight gen 4 is still unlimited. My cap still hasn't started. When you get it, that should be the case unless they change it soon.

C0RR0SIVE88
@direcway.com

C0RR0SIVE88 to diablo18926

Anon

to diablo18926
People in WV do have Gen4, every beam has a minimum of 1 person on it as I type.... Do you REALLY think they would throw a customer on a beam with out a tester at the minimum on that beam for a base line to see how that beam was doing?

Also, people seem to get the impression "fiber" is fiber, it isn't. Fiber is meant for backend ultra-low latency over vast distances, or to carry far more channels of data than a strand of copper can. Imagine 1ms from Newyork to LA if you have a straight shot. They have copper solutions at 10Gb, and Fiber solutions at 10Gb, the only difference is the medium, switch, and latency.

Just remember, residential fiber is NOT true fiber, it's a marketing gimmick.

245KB/s??? or kbps???
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to diablo18926

to diablo18926
245 Kb/s actual download speed translates to just shy of 2 Mb/s line speed, not to bad for the older systems.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to C0RR0SIVE88

to C0RR0SIVE88
said by C0RR0SIVE88 :

245KB/s

ANON
@direcway.com

ANON to diablo18926

Anon

to diablo18926
from what i have been told it was my internet service hugesnet that was either blocking my stuff such as my Packets about 3months back i had no issues with playing Secondlife then all of ah sudden i kept getting issues it not letting me connect to there server said it may be my connection or there servers so i looked it up on Secondlifes end and Hughes end aswell i was told that the server couldnt acknowledge the UDP packets that allows the SL server comunicate to my laptop i was also asked if i used wirless i said yes but as i said b4 i had no issues with using wireless with the game i even hardwired it to my laptop still nothing funny thing is it only lets me play the game when its 1am my time the customer service person for hughes told me it may be there bandwidth wich i know it isnt ive asked them so im stuck in an issue with this been trying to figure out why im getting these issues an it all boils down to being my ISP

PCsongBird
join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL

PCsongBird

ANON.. we have no problem logging on to SL with either our HN9000 or the G4 HT1000. But you should be aware...a few months ago LL pushed a server code to the system on the Tues/Weds restarts, that had a huge memory and usage leak problem. I am sure those on HN that didn't know and see it on the stat bar (we always keep ours up and visible) where FAP'd very quickly. We normally run around 80kbps on ultra when things settle down after loading a sim. When this happened usage went way up and was between 2-4MB/ sec, was constant, and even some we know on ISP's with 350 gig limits where throttled or FAP'd soon there after. We adjusted for this by pulling our graphics all the way down with a min draw distance, as we gig on SL and it is a source of income for some of us. But we also always keep our stat meter visible for quality control purposes. I suggest you go to the HN community site and get some tech support if your system isn't running up to par. And Linden Lab has fixed the high usage problem, but it could happen again, so keep the stat bar in mind. We have personally met with some higher up Lindens and discussed ways to make OpenGL programs easier on satellite users, and they were very helpful. Although our latency will always be higher than others on terrestrial internet connections, there is nothing on SL we have found we can not do, when our system is running normally.
suceress
join:2008-04-04

suceress to diablo18926

to diablo18926
If you haven't "upgraded" already, you might want to see if you are eligible for Exede12 on the exede.com website. It is via WildBlue. I just got it and am very pleased thus far.

vs

One thing that was a major deciding factor for me was the Late Night Free Zone. I got the lowest plan that is 10Gb per month during regular hours but midnight to 5am is unlimited.

Gen4 only gives you 10Gb in regular hours and 10Gb in the "bonus bytes" hours. The first day I had Exede12, my brother was able to load the 11Gb patch for some video game during the free zone.

There are some drawbacks-- such as you can't checkyour usage via the modem, but hopefully that will change with time. There is a free program you can download to monitor your usage though.

I've found the tech support to be much better thus far. I know I am new to the service and things could change, but I'm happier with this now than I was when I first got Direcway/Hughesnet.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by suceress:

If you haven't "upgraded" already, you might want to see if you are eligible for Exede12 on the exede.com website. It is via WildBlue. I just got it and am very pleased thus far.
[att=1]
vs
[att=2]

One thing that was a major deciding factor for me was the Late Night Free Zone. I got the lowest plan that is 10Gb per month during regular hours but midnight to 5am is unlimited.

Gen4 only gives you 10Gb in regular hours and 10Gb in the "bonus bytes" hours. The first day I had Exede12, my brother was able to load the 11Gb patch for some video game during the free zone.

There are some drawbacks-- such as you can't checkyour usage via the modem, but hopefully that will change with time. There is a free program you can download to monitor your usage though.

I've found the tech support to be much better thus far. I know I am new to the service and things could change, but I'm happier with this now than I was when I first got Direcway/Hughesnet.

You used 2 different servers for testing, there may be a huge difference there + dont ever rely on speedtest.net they give bad results for satellite users.. And no I have not upgraded yet, our installer said he was going to show up but so far he is 3 hours and 51 minutes late.

I don't plan to switch to Exede, yes my area is eligible but the prices for satellite internet are outrages and we cannot afford it, money is extremely tight these days in my area.
hughesnet123

to diablo18926
Yeah, I didn't go with excede because the Gen 4 people who had Excede were saying the Gen 4 was way more reliable.

I still haven't power cycled not once since I've had it. I've never had it go out either.
suceress
join:2008-04-04

suceress to diablo18926

to diablo18926
The Exede plan is the same cost as Hughesnet though.
Yeah, I realize different servers were used because it went by which was closest to the main source. It picked the closest one.
I've found that when downloading files, Hughesnet would take a long time even for files that were not that big, but with Exede the files are downloaded almost instantly.
But I realize that its apples and oranges comparing the old Ku band to the new satellite.
hughesnet123

to diablo18926
Well, of course Excede is much better than the old Hughes. Gen 4 is pretty much like you describe. Instant download on almost anything. Websites are instant.

From what I've looked at, I tend to get about the same speeds Excede does. I run at 18-20MB at night. Excede seems good too.

cbdeajr
@direcpc.com

cbdeajr

Anon

I personal think that Hughenet has let their upkeep on the old system go downhill in order to get people to sign up with Gen 4. We never did get great service with them but it was about the only internet connection we can get out here. As with all providers they only state ""Up To" and when you call customer service you get told it your computer, firewall, or you have a dog in the house its NOT their service. The rural electric company is installing cable service in my area and should be out here in the next year and I can get off Hughes so for now I have to wait as I am now signing a new 2 year contract with no assurance that service will be any better. If any one know where I can file a complaint about Hughes Please let me know.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Well folks i just recently upgraded and i must say its a little ways from the HN7000S modem with the proplus plan i may add. Speeds are wonderful, connection is much much better unlike before so everything is connecting and working just the way it should and making better performance.

We called Hughes about a day or two right after our installation to find out what was going on, supposedly my skype and yahoo were not able to connect however they were both able to connect with the HN7000S but not with the HT1000 so we call Hughes and we go through all these tests and come to find out most of there website with all the tools located on and including the HN forum/community page was inaccessible so then they go back and check on something and they report that they had found something that was'nt right and that required some attention so they tell us they will call back in about 24 to 48 hours, well its been about that long and still no call back, today came around and I was told that my uncle was successfully was browsing the web without having any of the problems that we were having, this is on a D-link wifi router and he was using his laptop. So this gave me the idea to use one too and install skype and see if it worked well, few minutes had passed and we figured out that all our computers IP addresses were setup to manual instead of automatic, this FIXED the problem.

Remember when even upgrading something small can make big changes and take you to a problematic (if any) but yes make sure to change your IP address look-up to automatic, this will allow hughes to change your address for you otherwise most of your things will not work right and block you from certain things such as log in websites or chat client programs.