Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to suceress

Re: [HN7000S] Will be getting Gen4

said by suceress:

If you haven't "upgraded" already, you might want to see if you are eligible for Exede12 on the exede.com website. It is via WildBlue. I just got it and am very pleased thus far.
[att=1]
vs
[att=2]

One thing that was a major deciding factor for me was the Late Night Free Zone. I got the lowest plan that is 10Gb per month during regular hours but midnight to 5am is unlimited.

Gen4 only gives you 10Gb in regular hours and 10Gb in the "bonus bytes" hours. The first day I had Exede12, my brother was able to load the 11Gb patch for some video game during the free zone.

There are some drawbacks-- such as you can't checkyour usage via the modem, but hopefully that will change with time. There is a free program you can download to monitor your usage though.

I've found the tech support to be much better thus far. I know I am new to the service and things could change, but I'm happier with this now than I was when I first got Direcway/Hughesnet.

You used 2 different servers for testing, there may be a huge difference there + dont ever rely on speedtest.net they give bad results for satellite users.. And no I have not upgraded yet, our installer said he was going to show up but so far he is 3 hours and 51 minutes late.

I don't plan to switch to Exede, yes my area is eligible but the prices for satellite internet are outrages and we cannot afford it, money is extremely tight these days in my area.
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to diablo1892
Yeah, I didn't go with excede because the Gen 4 people who had Excede were saying the Gen 4 was way more reliable.

I still haven't power cycled not once since I've had it. I've never had it go out either.

suceress

join:2008-04-04
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to diablo1892
The Exede plan is the same cost as Hughesnet though.
Yeah, I realize different servers were used because it went by which was closest to the main source. It picked the closest one.
I've found that when downloading files, Hughesnet would take a long time even for files that were not that big, but with Exede the files are downloaded almost instantly.
But I realize that its apples and oranges comparing the old Ku band to the new satellite.

hughesnet123

join:2012-11-08
reply to diablo1892
Well, of course Excede is much better than the old Hughes. Gen 4 is pretty much like you describe. Instant download on almost anything. Websites are instant.

From what I've looked at, I tend to get about the same speeds Excede does. I run at 18-20MB at night. Excede seems good too.

cbdeajr

@direcpc.com
I personal think that Hughenet has let their upkeep on the old system go downhill in order to get people to sign up with Gen 4. We never did get great service with them but it was about the only internet connection we can get out here. As with all providers they only state ""Up To" and when you call customer service you get told it your computer, firewall, or you have a dog in the house its NOT their service. The rural electric company is installing cable service in my area and should be out here in the next year and I can get off Hughes so for now I have to wait as I am now signing a new 2 year contract with no assurance that service will be any better. If any one know where I can file a complaint about Hughes Please let me know.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to diablo1892
Well folks i just recently upgraded and i must say its a little ways from the HN7000S modem with the proplus plan i may add. Speeds are wonderful, connection is much much better unlike before so everything is connecting and working just the way it should and making better performance.

We called Hughes about a day or two right after our installation to find out what was going on, supposedly my skype and yahoo were not able to connect however they were both able to connect with the HN7000S but not with the HT1000 so we call Hughes and we go through all these tests and come to find out most of there website with all the tools located on and including the HN forum/community page was inaccessible so then they go back and check on something and they report that they had found something that was'nt right and that required some attention so they tell us they will call back in about 24 to 48 hours, well its been about that long and still no call back, today came around and I was told that my uncle was successfully was browsing the web without having any of the problems that we were having, this is on a D-link wifi router and he was using his laptop. So this gave me the idea to use one too and install skype and see if it worked well, few minutes had passed and we figured out that all our computers IP addresses were setup to manual instead of automatic, this FIXED the problem.

Remember when even upgrading something small can make big changes and take you to a problematic (if any) but yes make sure to change your IP address look-up to automatic, this will allow hughes to change your address for you otherwise most of your things will not work right and block you from certain things such as log in websites or chat client programs.
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.