spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grimey01

@bell.ca

[Internet] DSL, POTS splitter, VoIP

my bell DSL internet would periodically lose signal. a tech came today and installed a POTS splitter.
the thing is i have a dry-loop.

is a splitter really necessary?
i had the blue and white wires from the demarc connected directly to the wires leading to the modem
they were connected using these things

and i had my VoIP box connected to the house wiring.

so did the tech come to my house and basically do nothing?

Anonymuss

@rogers.com
You may have a dry loop, but do you only have a single jack to match? If not, then yes, you need a POTS splitter.

rogellio

@rogers.com
the small ones in the picture are called morettes, they are used for hydro wiring, not telephone. if the guy used those on your fone line id flip out

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1
said by rogellio :

the small ones in the picture are called morettes, they are used for hydro wiring, not telephone. if the guy used those on your fone line id flip out

marrettes - not morrettes

I wouldn't get too carried away here.

The object of any connector is to make:
1. An electrical connection
2. A very good electrical connection
3. Electrical connections are usually made by pressure between 2 wires or a wire and a connector and back to a wire
4. The pressure keeps the contact point between wires from being exposed to the air and corrosion (oxidization).
5. Computer connections usually use IDC (Insulation Displacement Connections) where the ribbon cable is pierced by a sharp "V" type knife that cuts through the insulation, forces the insulation apart, and causes the wire to jam into the crotch of the "V". The insulation eventually contracts around the connection sealing out the atmosphere.
6. Bell's connectors are not IDC connectors and are no better than a marrette.
7. While communication connections are supposed to "absolutely match the impedance of the circuit (600 ohms for a telephone circuit), the impedance mismatch is so bad that there isn't a connector on this planet that will maintain a 600 ohms impedance matched circuit when you consider all the crap wiring that Bell is using to deliver a high speed Internet service.

Rick

xbell

@cgocable.net
said by RickStep:

Wrong. All their connectors are insulating displacing and contain corrosion protection properties. Which is why I get to replace corroded marettes that screw up and are prone to electrolysis between conductors and high resistance opens. Electricians just love to use them and bless their interloping little souls for making me more work.

rogellio

@rogers.com
reply to RickStep
said by RickStep:

said by rogellio :

marrettes - not morrettes

I wouldn't get too carried away here.

The object of any connector is to make:
1. An electrical connection
2. A very good electrical connection
3. Electrical connections are usually made by pressure between 2 wires or a wire and a connector and back to a wire
4. The pressure keeps the contact point between wires from being exposed to the air and corrosion (oxidization).
5. Computer connections usually use IDC (Insulation Displacement Connections) where the ribbon cable is pierced by a sharp "V" type knife that cuts through the insulation, forces the insulation apart, and causes the wire to jam into the crotch of the "V". The insulation eventually contracts around the connection sealing out the atmosphere.
7. While communication connections are supposed to "absolutely match the impedance of the circuit (600 ohms for a telephone circuit), the impedance mismatch is so bad that there isn't a connector on this planet that will maintain a 600 ohms impedance matched circuit when you consider all the crap wiring that Bell is using to deliver a high speed Internet service.

Rick

if u worked for a cabling company or hydro i would not wanna hire you as your explanation would cause my house to burn down. phone wires need special splice connectors, not "mOrettes" ther IS a difference, and there IS such a thing as an illegal splice not spliced according to IT standards. secondly, know ur facs before you try to look smart, you only make yourself look less smart.