Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hulltech
Premium
join:2001-12-14
Sheboygan, WI

Kelly Safari ATR vs Goodyear Wrangler SR-A

I'm looking at some new tires for a 2010 Chevy Silverado. The size is p265/65r18. The difference in price between a set of 4 tires is about $200. The salesman showed me both the tires I have listed and gave his recommendation of the Kelly tire. Does anyone have any feedback, good or bad, on the comparison of the two?
--
A Veteran, whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including their life." That is HONOR. There are way too many pe

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

Goodyear = name brand, Kelly = off brand.

YMMV
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Cho Baka:

Goodyear = name brand, Kelly = off brand.

Kelly is owned by Goodyear.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
kudos:1
reply to hulltech

I get 55-60k out of the 245/65 16's on my silverado without rotating them....

Buy them!
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to hulltech

Kelly (formerly Kelly-Springfield) is a good quality tire, built about 30 miles away from me in a plant where I personally know many of the employees. As noted, it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Goodyear, which gives it a higher place in the other than major-brand list in my opinion.

I used to sell many Kelly tires, and always had good luck with them, and the Safari line was very popular with the light truck/SUV owners. I do believe the Goodyear is likely to be a higher-performing tire overall, but of course they come with a premium price as well.

hulltech
Premium
Sheboygan, WI
reply to hulltech

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I'm going with the Kelly tires.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

It sounds as though you've made up your mind.

But, just so you know, the Kelly ATR tires will have slightly better traction on non-paved surfaces, but will produce much more noise than the Silent Armor line.
I'm on my second set (6) of the SAs. They are the best tires I've had on any of my trucks, and I think you are aware of the miles I drive, in all conditions.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
reply to hulltech

I would recommend anyone of these:
»www.michelinman.com/tire-selecto···18/tires

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by Da Geek Kid:

I would recommend anyone of these:
»www.michelinman.com/tire-selecto···18/tires

Michelin tires are great but at a premium price.

Da Geek Kid

you get what you pay for...

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by Da Geek Kid:

you get what you pay for...

But is the extra that you pay for worth what you get...

Da Geek Kid

Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit

depends if you don't mind the extra .5 inch break capability when you got it that keeps you off an accident... It's the same thing as a pair of shoes. you could wear a leather sole shoes on an ice rink but there are shoes that have grip and some that do not. Goes without saying for tires as well. But The tires are more important if you have the loved ones in them and no cost is good enough when they are gone....

Or you could go with these: »www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel···18/tires

I'd still pic the MichelinMan...

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

I have tried other brands but the Michelins were the best in rain and also a softer and quiet ride. They also lasted longer so the cost overall was not much more.

hulltech
Premium
Sheboygan, WI

1 recommendation

reply to hulltech

I ended up going with the Wrangler SR-A. Originally it was $234/tire while the Kelly was only $184. 2 days after I got the quote the price of the Wrangler was dropped to $165/tire. Add to that a $40 rebate for buying 4 tires.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to hulltech

Back when I Started out as a tire slinger before going to auto/diesel school. Most of the Michelin's I mounted on good alloy rims didn't require any weights for balancing (a few steel rims also, but very rare to fine one that was true). I just lined up the yellow dot on the side wall with the valve stem and put on the balancer and perfect balance. I had a few customers complain about not balancing them, then I had to take the wheels off and show them on the balancer. I asked did you test drive it to see if there were any vibrations? They replied no, because they didn't see any weights and that couldn't be possible. After proving to them they were balanced without weights they very impressed with the brand. And said they would be loyal to Michelin's from on out.

I have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my GTI , and they have been great in the desert heat. So yes you do get what you pay for. I have had Goodyear Eagle RS-A's also, they were a good tire but they wore out faster.

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO
reply to hulltech

Just a follow up on Beezel comments about Michelin Tires.

I worked for Goodyear Tire & Rubber in the late 60' early 70's and they are a fine company. I am also familiar with Firestone Tire & Rubber before it was purchased, also a fine company.

I purchased my first set of Michelin Tires in 1975 and just like Beezel said they needed no balancing and I never had any blowouts.

Michelin in my opinion makes the finest tire in the business and yes you get exactly what you pay for when it comes to tires.

Zach

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Beezel

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Beezel:

Back when I Started out as a tire slinger before going to auto/diesel school. Most of the Michelin's I mounted on good alloy rims didn't require any weights for balancing (a few steel rims also, but very rare to fine one that was true). I just lined up the yellow dot on the side wall with the valve stem and put on the balancer and perfect balance. I had a few customers complain about not balancing them, then I had to take the wheels off and show them on the balancer. I asked did you test drive it to see if there were any vibrations? They replied no, because they didn't see any weights and that couldn't be possible. After proving to them they were balanced without weights they very impressed with the brand. And said they would be loyal to Michelin's from on out.

I have the Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my GTI , and they have been great in the desert heat. So yes you do get what you pay for. I have had Goodyear Eagle RS-A's also, they were a good tire but they wore out faster.

Now days the weights are on the inside rim.
Hidden from view. so it's no long tacky to have them.

said by zach3:

Just a follow up on Beezel comments about Michelin Tires.

I worked for Goodyear Tire & Rubber in the late 60' early 70's and they are a fine company. I am also familiar with Firestone Tire & Rubber before it was purchased, also a fine company.

Zach

Firestone sucks now days and are at the bottom of the barrel. Most of the tires have separation problems.

Beezel

Las Vegas, NV

said by Anonymous_:

said by Beezel:

Now days the weights are on the inside rim.
Hidden from view. so it's no long tacky to have them.

Yea I know have been in the auto/diesel field for many moons.
It also depends on the type of rim used. Alloys without a outer lip have to have stick-on weights. If it has a outer lip you usually get alloy rim weights, unless you specify you want stick-on. There is a difference between alloy rim weights and steel rim weights. The alloys are smoother and clear coated they blend better with the wheels.

Those wheels look like they only have a static balance instead of dynamic. The stick-on weights should be toward the outer part of the rim and a alloy weight on the inner lip.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to hulltech

I don't know anything about the Kelly tires; but I've got a set of Goodyear SR-A's on my F150... Very acceptable tire, IMO.

Decent grip (a little slippy starting off on wet asphalt, but a 360+ horse truck with nothing in the back will spin anything) - good stopping, and they've worn well - got about 18k miles on them, no appreciable wear visable.

Personally, I really like the Bridgestone Revo's, but the SR-A's haven't disappointed me, either.