uniqs
share rss forum feed

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24

1 edit

ASUS RT-N66U

Just bought ASUS RT-N66U from Canadacomputers.

I noticed at the back of the box it says:

GIGANIT LAN? Is this normal?

--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1

Dude, scale your pictures down before you post them, there is no reason why you'd need to post a 3264 x 2448 picture of anythingo n the Internet.

Gigabit LAN is normal in any high end router.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

said by balur:

Dude, scale your pictures down before you post them, there is no reason why you'd need to post a 3264 x 2448 picture of anythingo n the Internet.

Gigabit LAN is normal in any high end router.

I like how your need to patronize his filesize choice superseeds you understanding what he's showing you...

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
reply to damir52

LoL... it says that on my box too.

balur

join:2010-04-28
reply to Cloneman

said by Cloneman:

I like how your need to patronize his filesize choice superseeds you understanding what he's showing you...

Yeah it superseeded what he was trying to tell me because i couldn't find it on the image which was 2 screen widths long.

I assumed he put in a typo.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

sorry about big image.

on the BOX it says GIGANIT.
--

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

DUDE here it is, smaller image ! :P

--

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29

Its obviously a spelling error. Asustek is a chinese company.

Good choice on router by the way. Currently rocking the 66U myself, amazing router with powerful range.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

thanks

so, others can confirm this too, its not only me?

I can unbox it and flash it with tomato?:D
--

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac

said by damir52:

thanks

I can unbox it and flash it with tomato?:D

Giganit == Gigabit if clumsy finger misses 'b' key.

Why? Doesn't the included firmware ( 3.0.0.4.246 ) do everything you need?

The only thing that I find disappointing about it is that the USB-3G back-up doesn't support the Huawei E397 stick that Telus provides. They only seem to support Rogers.

If you want to upgrade beyond what Asus provides, have a look at Merlin firmware... »forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···p?t=7846

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

Thank you for that.

I am going to go with Tomato for now (Just flashing it).
--

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to WhaleOilBee

said by WhaleOilBee:

Why? Doesn't the included firmware ( 3.0.0.4.246 ) do everything you need?

If you want to upgrade beyond what Asus provides, have a look at Merlin firmware... »forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···p?t=7846

It is a great router and it does almost everything I need. QOS has glaring omission and that is to be able to QOS IP ranges (ie 123.123.123.1 - 123.123.123.254). I contacted tech support and it appears this functionality has been dropped since the original firmware. It's important to me becuase I have backup software I want to throttle when people use the net and it operates from a range like that but rotates ports.

Was debating Tomato USB (since it has worked for me great on my old asus router) but I am intrigued by the Merlin firmware. Thanks for sharing.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to damir52

It's only GigaNit when government 'Policy Direction' documents are flowing through it.

Anonymous434

join:2012-03-01
reply to damir52

I'm using shibby's tomato on the n66u, works really good.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

said by Anonymous434:

I'm using shibby's tomato on the n66u, works really good.

yea me too from last night

this looks okay?
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON

+3 Shibby is awesome on this one.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to damir52

+4 for me

Shibby + N66U = Awesomeness

+5 for my dad's house internet
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

jackie999

join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to damir52

Can I 'offtopic' for a second here..I was interested in one of these 66U's and was waiting for the price to drop. I currently have a cisco EA1200 and I'm disappointed with the wifi range - a smartTV about 20 feet away (in a separate building) gets a poor signal. Is all wifi range the same or do some 'reach' further than others? Would I get more 'bars' for my TV with the 66u?
Thanks for allowing me to interupt

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

I have RT-N16 sitting here, i was using it with Tomato shibby as well.

I am getting much better performance with RT-N66U.

I can't say that i wasn't happy with RT-N16, but, my parents needed new router, so, i am giving them my RT-N16 and i got this one for me.
--

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to jackie999

hi jackie999:

Check out the RT-N66U review at SmallNetBuilder:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

The N66U is supposed to have one of the best ranges of all the wireless routers out there.

Personally, i run the Toastman flavour of Tomato.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

Shouldn't be much difference i think.
--

jackie999

Aurora, ON

Nice router though ...it's really holding it's value. The more I shop for a router the more I return to this one.
Thanks.

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by jackie999:

Nice router though ...it's really holding it's value. The more I shop for a router the more I return to this one.
Thanks.

Wait for at least Black Friday. Cheapest you can get it now is for $156.50 (Direct Canada). Or maybe wait for a Staples e-coupon to come into your inbox (if you're subscribed to getting Staples special offers via e-mail).

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
reply to jackie999

If you need Dual Band router that can be flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato (in MY opinion) this is the best router you can get for the money.

For sure other people recommend other routers too, but, if you do research you can see how many threads\reviews etc. are online about this hardware.

Current price @ CC was $159 + Tax, its not cheap, but ... if you need it, + - $20-50 bucks for me is not big deal really.
--

jackie999

Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to silvercat

Both of your suggestions had occurred to me..black friday (I'm also shopping for a backup usenet subscription) and staples coupon (yes I do get them)
I had also read on smallnet builders, when the 66U was introducted that the ram was 1/2 utilized..I see now merlins firmware corrected that.
When I was shopping in tiger for the cisco router that I just got for work - the saleman told me it has the 'superior' internal antennas - I think now he was feeding me a load of bull. That'll teach me for impulse buying.
Most importantly..the 66U is a nice looking router

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to damir52

I've looked at the various flavours of Tomato for the N66U. I haven't found any that explicitly state that they support the Hauwei E397 as a backup USB-3G. Actually, I haven't been able to find any reference to which 3G sticks they support. Has anyone using this router with Tomato found a list of supported 3G sticks?

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to damir52

Sigh... this is probably the best out there and suits all but one of my needs.
I need to run OpenWRT on my routers, which is why I decided on the buffalo wzr-hp-ag300h instead.

If the n66u ever support any version of openwrt (which is a longshot because of the lack of opensource drivers for the broadcom ethernet drivers), I will jump on this baby.

Even tho i don't own one of these, I bet its quite the powerhouse.

C
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

coaxguy

Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to jackie999

jackie999:

My router (this one) is in my basement with my modem and gaming gear and I get 94% signal strength 2.5 floors up at the top level of my house.

Has amazing range.

Couldnt recommend this router more. I tested the Linksys E4200, and a few others and this was by far the best. Worth the price for sure.

coaxguy

reply to damir52

Is it really worthwhile to put Shinnys Tomato on this router? Can someone tell me the benefit of doing so?

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada

said by coaxguy:

Is it really worthwhile to put Shinnys Tomato on this router? Can someone tell me the benefit of doing so?

If you need to ask, then it is probably not for you.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.