reply to silvercat

Re: ASUS RT-N66U

Shouldn't be much difference i think.
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

jackie999

join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON

Nice router though ...it's really holding it's value. The more I shop for a router the more I return to this one.
Thanks.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by jackie999:

Nice router though ...it's really holding it's value. The more I shop for a router the more I return to this one.
Thanks.

Wait for at least Black Friday. Cheapest you can get it now is for $156.50 (Direct Canada). Or maybe wait for a Staples e-coupon to come into your inbox (if you're subscribed to getting Staples special offers via e-mail).

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
reply to jackie999

If you need Dual Band router that can be flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato (in MY opinion) this is the best router you can get for the money.

For sure other people recommend other routers too, but, if you do research you can see how many threads\reviews etc. are online about this hardware.

Current price @ CC was $159 + Tax, its not cheap, but ... if you need it, + - $20-50 bucks for me is not big deal really.
--

jackie999

join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to silvercat

Both of your suggestions had occurred to me..black friday (I'm also shopping for a backup usenet subscription) and staples coupon (yes I do get them)
I had also read on smallnet builders, when the 66U was introducted that the ram was 1/2 utilized..I see now merlins firmware corrected that.
When I was shopping in tiger for the cisco router that I just got for work - the saleman told me it has the 'superior' internal antennas - I think now he was feeding me a load of bull. That'll teach me for impulse buying.
Most importantly..the 66U is a nice looking router

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to damir52

I've looked at the various flavours of Tomato for the N66U. I haven't found any that explicitly state that they support the Hauwei E397 as a backup USB-3G. Actually, I haven't been able to find any reference to which 3G sticks they support. Has anyone using this router with Tomato found a list of supported 3G sticks?

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to damir52

Sigh... this is probably the best out there and suits all but one of my needs.
I need to run OpenWRT on my routers, which is why I decided on the buffalo wzr-hp-ag300h instead.

If the n66u ever support any version of openwrt (which is a longshot because of the lack of opensource drivers for the broadcom ethernet drivers), I will jump on this baby.

Even tho i don't own one of these, I bet its quite the powerhouse.

C
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to jackie999

jackie999:

My router (this one) is in my basement with my modem and gaming gear and I get 94% signal strength 2.5 floors up at the top level of my house.

Has amazing range.

Couldnt recommend this router more. I tested the Linksys E4200, and a few others and this was by far the best. Worth the price for sure.

coaxguy

reply to damir52

Is it really worthwhile to put Shinnys Tomato on this router? Can someone tell me the benefit of doing so?

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada

said by coaxguy:

Is it really worthwhile to put Shinnys Tomato on this router? Can someone tell me the benefit of doing so?

If you need to ask, then it is probably not for you.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by RobinK:

said by coaxguy:

If you need to ask, then it is probably not for you.

Pffft... quit being elitist.
If one is really interested, one does ones own research into it. Then once you have all your information and done a little thinking on it you can better decide if its for you or not.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
Twitter:Merv Chat:irc.teksavvy.ca

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

I think he will get more confused now with your answers
--

coaxguy

reply to damir52

Well I wouldnt have asked if I want interested. I well versed in networking, I just wanted to know of some benefits to put it on the 66U instead of using Asus's firmware.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

For most, basically you have a bit more control over the QOS. Depending on what's important to you, you will need to pay attention what any particular version of tomato supports (ie USB drives/printers/4G sticks). The Asus firmware seems to support quite a few guest networks (4 for each spectrum) and I don't think tomato does that.

If you are happy it's probably unnecessary. Most make the switch because the router's native firmware is buggy or doesn't do QOS very well.

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to damir52

I am not being elitist. I am being realistic.

How many people do you know who ask that question actually need or know how to take advantage of custom firmware? How many people do you know would even understand how to flash the firmware? Flashing the RT-N66U to a custom firmware requires use of the recovery mode flashing. It is harder than the old school "just load the custom firmware in the web UI" method.

If he is well versed in networking, he should have said so when he asked and I could have given him a more detailed answer. If not, I assume he would not understand a technical response and only confuse him more by trying to do.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 edit

I've heard several people rocking the dd-wrt firmware on their N66's. I'm amazed by the amount of flash/RAM on these routers.

»dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

EDIT: I noticed the N66U has in internal MicroSD Card slot. I might look into purchasing one of these.

silvercat

Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to coaxguy

said by coaxguy:

Well I wouldnt have asked if I want interested. I well versed in networking, I just wanted to know of some benefits to put it on the 66U instead of using Asus's firmware.

I use Toastman's version of the Tomato firmware, and one of the features i really like about it is the Incoming QOS feature. It really comes in handy, and works very well. I do not know if the Shibby version includes this particular feature. I also like built-in OpenVPN support. Not sure if OpenVPN support is included in stock Asus firmware.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

After playing around with the default firmware and getting sick and tired of VOIP problems when my backup software is running (even if appropriately throttled) I decided to go to tomato.

I installed Shibby only because I was familiar with toastman on my older router and wanted to compare. After playing around tonight I can confirm inbound QOS settings are similar and seem as effective on Shibby as they are on Toastman. Jitter tests seem to show it works very well even when trying to max out the connection with lower priorty traffic.

silvercat

That's good to hear. Incoming QOS can come in really handy when downloading from Usenet (place it in the P2P class)

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
reply to damir52

The 5Ghz work with tomato and this router ?

damir52
SFRJ
Premium

yes