Search similar:

uniqs
bunions
join:2005-12-19
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

bunions

[connectivity] Speeds dropping randomly - DSL

Over the past 3 weeks my speeds have gone to hell. I have the HSI 7mbs line. One minute ill be hitting 770kb/s on a download then the next its dipping to under 100kb/s and into the 5 to 30kb/s range.

Yea this isnt acceptable. Starting to think my modem itself is going ( westell 7500 ). Has nothing to do with Sandy either as its been happening randomly for the past 3 weeks.

For example I ran 5 speed tests within 5 minutes of each other and downloads were anywhere from under 1mbs, to 3mbs, to 2.5mbs...like right now I am at 2.74mbs on a test. There are times when my connection just comes to a halt completely then kicks back in etc. Usually have to restart the router. Getting to the point its a few times a day.

Here are my stats.

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 7616 864
Margin (dB) 15.8 7.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 14.0 8.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 14.7 11.9

I just had this as a speed test..its 1121pm est

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6127.png

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

If you think it's the modem, call Verizon and ask them to send you another Westell 7500 (or maybe you'll get a D-Link). While you're at it, have them check the path you take on the network and equipment for faults. If it's happening at random it sounds like something is up on Verizon's end, but if a reboot is immediately fixing it then it very well could be the modem.

Those Transceiver Statistics look fine, but I would expect your upstream to be much higher on the margin than that.
bunions
join:2005-12-19
Philadelphia, PA

bunions

Thanks. I been meaning to actually call & cancel and switch over to comcast recently too.

This might do it. $42 a month for 7mbs =|...just seen I can get 50mbs for the same price..wth lol

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Hey, do what you need to do. If you can find a better deal elsewhere and it's reliable, suits your needs and consistent (aka, DOCSIS 3.0 modem on Comcast), go for it!

You could probably ask Verizon for 15M/1M if you were interested in hanging on still. Line just needs ADSL2+ if it's available.