The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Melissa2009B

Re: [Connectivity] Trying to use PhonePower on Comcast HSI - not

said by Melissa2009B:

I'm not a network tech and it sounds like we need one. I have no idea about all this, and how to fix it without risking hosing it.

That is one of the reasons that I did not suggest that you attempt to make any router QoS or port forwarding changes.

The other reason was that the problems you are describing don't sound like anything that port forwarding would fix (although QoS settings might help). Since I am not familiar with your particular cable gateway, I don't even know if it has QoS settings, so I won't likely be able to walk you through looking for that in your router's admin menu (but it would likely be buried somewhere in the Advanced settings if you decide to take a peek and post some screen shots).

Anytime I have seen a problem with SIP devices/applications where a restrictive firewall was interfering and port forwarding might help, the symptom would be that the SIP device/application could not even establish an initial session with its call control server (and that is not the symptom you have reported).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO
Guess we're gonna have to send back the PhonePower box and get Comcast Voice, so it's supported.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Melissa2009B:

Guess we're gonna have to send back the PhonePower box and get Comcast Voice, so it's supported.

That should at least eliminate the multi-vendor finger pointing, and since Comcast is trying to present itself as the new "phone company", in most areas they do tend to give priority to CDV problems. Also, since Comcast delivers their VoIP service over a different channel that is not used for Internet access, they do have the ability to tightly control things all the way from your local connection to where they hand over the signal to whatever CLEC handles their PSTN interface in your area.

I hope that you don't have a hefty ETF clause in your new PhonePower contract. Also remember that if you are planning to port the telephone number, don't terminate the PhonePower service until after Comcast notifies you that the number port is officially complete.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO
I purposely signed up with PhonePower without contract, and paid more a month, to try it. And we don't care about the number, we just got it and have an 800 number for the business anyway, with simultaneous ring to the home and cell.

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
reply to Melissa2009B
said by Melissa2009B:

Melissa, this has dragged on much too long. Just do it. Call Comcast, agree to their nominal ($35.00) installation charge, let them set everything up for you and stop worrying yourself sick over it.

I consulted on matters like this for years, starting in the early 80's, and always maintained the principal that I didn't expect, nor want, my clients to be geeks. That's what I was there for.

Comcast will take care of you and be there on rare occasions that something goes wrong. 99% of their customers have never heard of BBR and really don't have any reason to come in here.