All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kenanmir
join:2012-11-07

kenanmir

NYC TWC - Just got the Arris TG862 - can't access Web GUI

My network setting say that my gateway and router are 192.168.0.1, which is clearly the IP of the modem.

When I put that in to my browser to access the Web GUI it doesn't open anything. no login box nothing. Just keeps loading.

Tried this on wireless and wired.

Does TWC lock the Web GUI for Arris modems at the headend?

Please help. I just want to change my wireless SSID and password.

Thanks,
-K
nony
Premium Member
join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

1 edit

nony

Premium Member

You can try the HTTPS variants for the first two links-

https: //192.168.0.1 to get the Arris status page and navigate to Wireless or

https: //192.168.0.1:5540 to get the web setup logon gui, or

http: //192.168.0.1:8080

As you probably know, the components of the default WPA2 pre-shared key can be sniffed by any wireless client - it's a very bad security practice to prevent customers from locking down their networks while providing your secret key components over the air in the clear. You can mitigate the risks by changing those default values.

-nony

btbrossard
Premium Member
join:2004-11-10
Burlington, WI

btbrossard to kenanmir

Premium Member

to kenanmir
Click for full size
I have an Arris TG862 and that's the address I use to access the settings GUI.

My modem is obviously from the Milwaukee market, however.
kenanmir

kenanmir to nony

to nony
Have tried all of those addresses NONY.

Neither work.

Are either of you from the NY market? They may be remotely "locking" routers from the head end. Even if I try and reset the router it doesn't let me in the config web GUI.

I know I'm not doing it wrong because the router listed in my network settings is 192.168.0.1 so that must be the modem/router's IP address.

Someone help!
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

1 edit

nony

Premium Member

said by kenanmir:

Have tried all of those addresses NONY.

Neither work.

Are either of you from the NY market?

Level3 says that they are indeed locking out customer access to the router unless you have Signature or Business Class service.

Nontheless, you can access your TG862G to change the default password, SSID, and WPA2 PSK via a variety of ways.

First off, are you configured by TWC for Bridged mode or RoutedWithNAT?

Router Reset Method -

1. Remove the power cord and all connections from your device (including the coax cable)
2. Remove the battery
3. Configure your pc/mac with 192.168.0.10;255.255.255.0;192.168.0.1 (ipAddr, mask, default gateway) respectively.
4. Disable wi-fi on your pc/mac
5. Connect your pc/mac to one of the LAN ports
6. Attach the power cord to your router (with the battery still removed)
7. Wait ~ 60 seconds
8. Confirm that you can ping 192.168.0.1 from your pc/mac
9. Confirm that you can telnet to 192.168.0.1 (but don't log on)
10. Clear your browser cache
11. Confirm that you can connect via TLS - https: //192.168.0.1
Note that if the certificate on your router is either untrusted, expired, or both - you may have to grant explicit permission to establish the connection.
12. Report back.

-nony
arris6
join:2012-11-26

arris6 to kenanmir

to kenanmir
same problem here. sometimes it works, sometimes it just hangs indefinitely. will try 192.168.0.1:8080 thingy though. maybe that will work.
kenanmir

kenanmir to nony

to nony
Thanks nony,

This is really helpful.

I'm not sure if I'm in bridge mode or Routed with NAT.

All the machines on this modem are running over the wireless so I doubt it's bridge mode.

I know that the NAT isn't really working either because my torrent client isn't able to use NAT to assign itself external ports. I'm hoping this is something that I can turn on when in the Web GUI.

Will follow your steps and let you know what happens...
The step missing from your instructions is the default username and password for the router. Do you know what that is?

Thanks again.
kenanmir

kenanmir to nony

to nony
Hi nony. It doesn't seem to work. I even tried to do a reset with the reset button after having it disconnected from the coax.

192.168.0.1 doesn't seem to work.

The only ports that are open when I do a port scan are telnet, ssh and port 5000, but that doesn't seem to open in a browser either...

Help
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

nony

Premium Member

kenanmir,

I can't help you. Learn to follow instructions.

-nony
arris6
join:2012-11-26

arris6

ok, this 192.168.0.1:8080 stuff ain't working neither. out of 10 times, it works 3 maybe 4 times. what gives with, if that is indeed true, blocking the access to the router? that is no acceptable. i need constant access to my router and its options, if nothing else to check the logs and\or add\change portforwarding rules. maybe add a new client to my network if having mac access control feature turned on? as of lately, i can access the login page but after hitting the apply button my browser (firefox) just freezes. what the? the only thing i can do is hit the back button. and the hit the forward button and try logging in again. anyone else experiencing same problems?
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

1 edit

nony

Premium Member

In Bridge mode, if I configure my pc with a static IP address of 192.168.0.x, and attach it directly to a LAN port, (with my internal router still connected) I get consistent results:
1. ping 192.168.0.1 - yes
2. http to port 8080 - login page
3. http to port 80 - login page (after registration)
4. http to port 80 - status page (before registration)
5. https to port 443 - status page (both before and after registration
6. https to port 5540 - login page (both before and after registration).
Note that port 80 serves up different pages before/after registration and you may have to force a refresh while navigating.
Also note that a router restart following a configuration change, will force the router through its pre & post registration states, and this can confuse your browser.

In Routed mode, the behavior may be different.

-nony

LoNBoY
@comcast.net

LoNBoY to kenanmir

Anon

to kenanmir
Lets make this simple...The actual Login I.P. is 10.0.0.1 --- Login is: admin -- Password is: password. --- GUI is slow to load at first, so be patient...Have fun!

~LoN~
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

1 edit

nony

Premium Member

said by LoNBoY :

Lets make this simple...The actual Login I.P. is 10.0.0.1 --- Login is: admin -- Password is: password. --- GUI is slow to load at first, so be patient...Have fun!

~LoN~

Your info is simple but incorrect. TWC has unique builds and config files for their devices as does Comcast. There is no service which listens on 10.0.0.1 period. The IP addresses and ports that I mentioned above are accurate for TWC.

The web gui listens on 192.168.0.1 (ports 80, 8080, 443, 5540)
SNMP listens on 192.168.0.1/192.168.100.1 (ports 161, 1161)
Mini CLI listens on 192.168.100.1:23 (when telnet is enabled)
Full CLI listens on 192.168.0.1 :23 (when telnet is enabled)

-nony

Natedog321
join:2001-01-10
Raleigh, NC

Natedog321 to kenanmir

to kenanmir
TWC locks down all of its wireless modems in the NYC/NJ area, except if you are a signature home customer. Even if you figure out a way to log in, the settings will all be changed back when the modem gets an updated config file/firmware. You are better off speaking with an agent to have your modem put into bridged mode, and purchase your own router.
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

nony

Premium Member

Actually, the critical security settings will not all be set back to their defaults. Which is a good thing.

-nony

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi to Natedog321

Premium Member

to Natedog321
what if u buy your own modem? I have a friend who wants the 6580 here in nyc and wants to buy one so that he dont have to pay monthly fee but I told him twc may block him out of the access.... which would be really sucky
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to kenanmir

to kenanmir
They only block access to their own modems. So if you purchase your own, they will not block it.

kilrathi
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY

kilrathi

Premium Member

thanks!

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to Fleeced

to Fleeced
said by Fleeced:

They only block access to their own modems. So if you purchase your own, they will not block it.

How do they distinguish a TWC modem from the customer's if the brand and model is the same?
bluepoint

bluepoint to kenanmir

to kenanmir
said by kenanmir:

Hi nony. It doesn't seem to work. I even tried to do a reset with the reset button after having it disconnected from the coax.

192.168.0.1 doesn't seem to work.

That is the correct IP for the router. Press and hold the reset button for over 15 secs. without the coax connected.
Fleeced

Fleeced to bluepoint

to bluepoint
Because every customer has to call in with the MAC, pretty sure they have a way to note it's a customer modem, not a TWC modem. It's not like it's magic, they probably have a flag in their billing system (so they don't have to pay the lease fee either) that carries over into bin files and other information in the modem.

bluepoint

bluepoint

How did you know?
Fleeced

Fleeced to kenanmir

to kenanmir
Because that's about the only logical thing that would happen? Most ISPs won't modify stuff.

bluepoint

bluepoint

Ah, I thought it's an official statement.
Fleeced

Fleeced to kenanmir

to kenanmir
Those are made in the official forum, of which I am not a part.

bluepoint

bluepoint

What official forum? Link please.
Fleeced

Fleeced to kenanmir

to kenanmir
»/fo ··· erdirect

bluepoint

bluepoint

You can read people's post there? From what I understand TWC employees are the only ones who can read and answer in that forum, are you one of them?
Fleeced

Fleeced to kenanmir

to kenanmir
Re read my post. I am not a part of the direct forum, nor do I have access.

bluepoint

bluepoint

You referred me to the direct forum because of your statement below whereas you said it was mentioned officially in the direct forum. My question is, how did you know if you were not one of them? No one can read other posts in that forum...

said by jmruss: