how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nu2FiOS

join:2012-11-07
Washington, DC

Wireless speed is half that of Wired

I just switched from regular cable internet to Verizon FIOS Internet (+ TV). The provision is for 50 down/25 up. I get that speed when wired - actually consistently tested to 60 down/ 30 up. Which is great. But as soon as I unplug the cable and go wireless, it drops to about half, 25-30 down/17 - 20 up. This is not right. I know that wireless adapter has some overhead but I have never seen that much gets cut. In fact with my old cable internet of 25 down/ 2 up, I saw essentially the same speed wired or wireless. Any idea? Computer is about 10 feet from modem-router w/o obstruction, signal strength is 100%.

I used the least crowded channel (1) in my neighborhood - there is only one othet channel 1 wlan and it's far away.
Set router to N mode only already.
Any suggestion?

Equipment:
VZ's Actiontec MI424WR Rev I modem-router
EDIMAX EW-7811Un 150 N usb Wireless Adapter
Win7 64-bit

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
Have you optimized the connection?
--
Romney - Ryan 2012

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
No. May you point me to the right direction.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Wireless 802.11g theoretical maximum is about 24mbs, the protocols forward error correction uses almost half the available bandwidth of the listed best case of "g" 54mbs

N, if single channel can do about 2X this, but its also much more penalty to channel congestion

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by guppy_fish:

Wireless 802.11g theoretical maximum is about 24mbs, the protocols forward error correction uses almost half the available bandwidth of the listed best case of "g" 54mbs

N, if single channel can do about 2X this, but its also much more penalty to channel congestion

Did you read his full post? He is working with all N equipment.

In addition, G wireless is a half-duplex protocol, therefore, half the throughput.

Mahalo

united state
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Nu2FiOS
Are you using the most up to date driver?
»www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail···l2_id=44

Are you using WEP, WPA, or WPA2?

Fios Speed Optimimizer:
»my.verizon.com/micro/speedoptimi···ult.aspx

All Win7 PC have worked fine for me without doing the optimizer.

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
All my device drivers are updated.
I logged into the Actiontec router to check for firmware and it is already running the latest.
It is using WPA2 AES encryption.
Computer is win7 64-bit.
I ran the Optimizer but it makes no difference.

The thing is that when I had RCN, the wired and wireless speed are pretty much the same with wireless just a little lower. But with TiVo, the wireless speed is half off - both up and down!

Mahalo

united state
Ok, where does the TiVo come in play? Is the PC running slow or TiVo? Need the full story.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Nu2FiOS
said by Nu2FiOS:

The thing is that when I had RCN, the wired and wireless speed are pretty much the same with wireless just a little lower. But with TiVo, the wireless speed is half off - both up and down!

Your still getting the same wireless speeds, you said you got 25/2 on wireless with your previous provider, with Fios you get 30/17 wireless so its working at what your environment is limiting it to.

There are many factors to what is your wireless speed will be, distance, channel congestion, interference from other devices.

ChrisUK

join:2008-08-28
Falls Church, VA
reply to Mahalo

I'm curious to know how much difference this makes to speed. Can you explain?

Chris

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
said by guppy_fish:

... so its working at what your environment is limiting it to.

There are many factors to what is your wireless speed will be, distance, channel congestion, interference from other devices.

I understand there are limitations, interference and overhead, etc. BUT a whole half of the speed disappears? That's a lot by itself and especially so considering I subscribe to 50/25 - that means 25/17 just gone - that's a lot of bandwidth that has vanished! I've never seen that before. I can understand and accept maybe 10% or even 20% but not 50%.
More importantly, the environment is pretty optimal:
The computer is about 10 feet from the VZ router.
Practically no obstruction in between.
I scanned the neighborhood and picked the least crowded channel - there is only one other network that use the same channel 1.
I have no cordless phone.
All my devices are wireless N, so no b/g to slow them down.
I just don't understand.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
You're thinking about this wrong - it's not that some percentage of your speed is being taken away. It's that there's a bottleneck (the WiFi connection) and increasing any other part of the chain has zero effect because of the bottleneck. It's not an overhead problem.

I agree 25Mbps is very slow for 802.11n, but that may just be the best you can do given your setup and environment. Do you have any other wireless cards available (I don't trust those tiny little plug in ones very much)?

Do you have multiple computers? If you could transfer a file between a wired and wireless computer, you'd get a good sense of what the limiting factor is.

BTW, if the computer is only 10 feet away, why not just use an ethernet cable? Or do you mean the computer is 10 feet away while your testing it?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

sergey3

join:2004-08-25
reply to Nu2FiOS
I am 99% sure that the slow speed is a result of the wireless adapter. I did a quick search on newegg for your adapter and some reviews are complaining about it being slow.
If you want to, temporary remove the WAP encryption and check if that helps the speed.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Have you tried channel hopping to see if any of the other channels get better speed? The only other thing I can think of would be to replace the wireless router if your adapter gets better speeds elsewhere, the Verizon ones are crap too.

Mahalo

united state
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ChrisUK
said by ChrisUK:

I'm curious to know how much difference this makes to speed. Can you explain?

Chris

Sure:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLS6F0Nb7cU

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to Nu2FiOS
I think overall this is a fairly common problem with wireless in general. I have 35/35 service and the best I can do on wireless is about 20/20. I have a 'N' router. With a wired connection I often exceed 35/35.

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
said by Thinkdiff:

You're thinking about this wrong - it's not that some percentage of your speed is being taken away.

I understand, when I use words like "disappear", "vanished", it's just figurative.
said by Thinkdiff:

It's that there's a bottleneck ... that may just be the best you can do given your setup and environment.

So, what is the bottleneck in your opinion? As you see my setup above, I can't see how my environment can create such a narrow bottleneck.
said by Thinkdiff:

Do you have multiple computers? If you could transfer a file between a wired and wireless computer, you'd get a good sense of what the limiting factor is.

I don't understand what you say. Yes, there are other computers and yes, I can transfer files among them. But how does this tell me what the limiting factor is. BTW, when I test the speed, I always turns off all wireless devices except the testing computer, just to eliminate other factors. I test the speed like this using all 3 of my computers (they all use the same wifi adapter) in turn. The results are the same regardless of computer used.
said by McBane:

Have you tried channel hopping to see if any of the other channels get better speed?

Yes, I have tried each channel. Channel 11 gives the worst result and all other channels give the same result.
said by sergey3:

I am 99% sure that the slow speed is a result of the wireless adapter.

I am thinking about that too. OK, I don't have another adapter on hand right now. I'll buy another to test. Any recommendation?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by Nu2FiOS:

I don't understand what you say. Yes, there are other computers and yes, I can transfer files among them. But how does this tell me what the limiting factor is. BTW, when I test the speed, I always turns off all wireless devices except the testing computer, just to eliminate other factors. I test the speed like this using all 3 of my computers (they all use the same wifi adapter) in turn. The results are the same regardless of computer used.

How fast are file transfers between a wired and wireless computer? You can download any number of real-time network speed apps and watch the speed as you're transferring files. If you have multiple wireless computers (not using that same USB adapter), you can see if any of them get better performance.

As I said and a few others have said, I think the limiting factor is your wireless card. Here are some suggestions. It's from 2010, but these should still be on the market:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···&start=3
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

ChrisUK

join:2008-08-28
Falls Church, VA
I finally found a way to dramatically increase my wifi speed.

I unplugged my 2.4GHz cordless phone !!!

Chris

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by ChrisUK:

I finally found a way to dramatically increase my wifi speed.

I unplugged my 2.4GHz cordless phone !!!

Chris

My friends in WV had a wireless dog collar that ran on 2.4GHz. The base unit put out a signal that kept the collar off. They hooked up a wireless router that interfered with the dog collar signal. The dogs were terrified of getting off the front porch. Once the collar started, the only way to stop the shock was to pull the battery. Proximity didn't matter any more.

Bad design.

Poor dogs. I felt bad for them. I sorta broke the router, but the dogs never got over it while I was there.

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

1 edit
I was never able to achieve more than 30-35Mbps wireless with the Verizon-supplied Actiontec 424WR Rev.I router.

Once I upgraded to the Asus RT-N66U, I had no difficulty hitting 80Mbps wireless on a 5.0GHz 802.11n network.

Here's the throughput I see on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 (4th Gen) with the Asus router:

Neither Apple device achieved >35Mbps with the Actiontec router, and the iPhone 5 routinely achieved under 10Mbps with the Actiontec.

I have the 75Mbps FiOS plan.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Nu2FiOS
That is no surprise. I can get similar speeds from my two Asus RT-N56U routers. The Actiontec routers have never been the best. It's another reason to use your own router instead of the FiOS supplied routers and also to use Ethernet from the ONT instead of MoCA.

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
Problem solved. The culprit is the VZ issued Actiontec Modem-Router-Access Point. I have doubts from the beginning that the problem is caused by my wifi adapter b/c it has always performed very well from the start.

KenAf & aaronwt, before I saw you two's replies, I had done more research on the web and I saw that there are a lot of people having the exact problem as I do with their FiOS internet. I found 2 other users who solved the problem by not using the Actiontec as the AP, so I decided to try.

When I switched to FiOS, I took away my Asus N router b/c the Actiontec is a N router and AP also. Now, I turn off wireless in the Actionteach and hook up my Asus N router to it to use it as the AP. Boom! Now I get the full provisioned 50/25 speed and then some with both wired and wireless (and, my upstairs office is getting 40/20 wirelessly when before it used to be only about 15/10 using the Actiontec AP). Turning off the Asus and turning the Actiontech wireless back on and the wireless drops back down to 25/15. So it is pretty clear to me that somehow the Actiontec is not performing the way it should.

(In the Asus N router, in additional to the option of setting the wireless mode to b, g, n, there is also an option to select the wireless speed of up to 11, 54, 72 or 150. When I select “Up to 72 Mbps”, I get the same wireless speed as when I use the Actiontec AP which is only about 25/15. When I set the Asus speed to “Up to 150” I get the full provisioned speed of 50/25. So I look into the Actiontec but there is no such option beside the option to configure the b, g, n modes.)

I don’t think they give me a bump unit of the Actiontec b/c this problem is rather widespread. So, either there is a problem with this model of Actiontec or that there is a setting (or settings) in it that prevent it from performing the way it should but I look and look and can’t any relevant setting.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Well, using a 5ghz router is what solved the problem, None of Verizons routers are 5ghz

Nu2FiOS

Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
said by guppy_fish:

Well, using a 5ghz router is what solved the problem

The frequency band isn't the problem - at least in my case. My Asusu RT-N10+ router that gives me the full provisioned speed is only 2.4GHz.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by Nu2FiOS:

said by guppy_fish:

Well, using a 5ghz router is what solved the problem

The frequency band isn't the problem - at least in my case. My Asusu RT-N10+ router that gives me the full provisioned speed is only 2.4GHz.

Yes, I can easily exceed 100Mb/s speeds over 2.4Ghz from my Asus RT-N56U routers. Although for me to hit 150Mb/s from my internet connection I do need to use 5Ghz. I couldn't find a frequency on 2.4Ghz that allowed me to hit 150Mb/s from my internet connection. And I only found one frequency on 5Ghz that got me to 150Mb/s.