uniqs
share rss forum feed

KenAF

join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

1 edit
reply to birdfeedr

Re: Wireless speed is half that of Wired

I was never able to achieve more than 30-35Mbps wireless with the Verizon-supplied Actiontec 424WR Rev.I router.

Once I upgraded to the Asus RT-N66U, I had no difficulty hitting 80Mbps wireless on a 5.0GHz 802.11n network.

Here's the throughput I see on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 (4th Gen) with the Asus router:

Neither Apple device achieved >35Mbps with the Actiontec router, and the iPhone 5 routinely achieved under 10Mbps with the Actiontec.

I have the 75Mbps FiOS plan.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Nu2FiOS
That is no surprise. I can get similar speeds from my two Asus RT-N56U routers. The Actiontec routers have never been the best. It's another reason to use your own router instead of the FiOS supplied routers and also to use Ethernet from the ONT instead of MoCA.

Nu2FiOS

join:2012-11-07
Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
Problem solved. The culprit is the VZ issued Actiontec Modem-Router-Access Point. I have doubts from the beginning that the problem is caused by my wifi adapter b/c it has always performed very well from the start.

KenAf & aaronwt, before I saw you two's replies, I had done more research on the web and I saw that there are a lot of people having the exact problem as I do with their FiOS internet. I found 2 other users who solved the problem by not using the Actiontec as the AP, so I decided to try.

When I switched to FiOS, I took away my Asus N router b/c the Actiontec is a N router and AP also. Now, I turn off wireless in the Actionteach and hook up my Asus N router to it to use it as the AP. Boom! Now I get the full provisioned 50/25 speed and then some with both wired and wireless (and, my upstairs office is getting 40/20 wirelessly when before it used to be only about 15/10 using the Actiontec AP). Turning off the Asus and turning the Actiontech wireless back on and the wireless drops back down to 25/15. So it is pretty clear to me that somehow the Actiontec is not performing the way it should.

(In the Asus N router, in additional to the option of setting the wireless mode to b, g, n, there is also an option to select the wireless speed of up to 11, 54, 72 or 150. When I select “Up to 72 Mbps”, I get the same wireless speed as when I use the Actiontec AP which is only about 25/15. When I set the Asus speed to “Up to 150” I get the full provisioned speed of 50/25. So I look into the Actiontec but there is no such option beside the option to configure the b, g, n modes.)

I don’t think they give me a bump unit of the Actiontec b/c this problem is rather widespread. So, either there is a problem with this model of Actiontec or that there is a setting (or settings) in it that prevent it from performing the way it should but I look and look and can’t any relevant setting.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Well, using a 5ghz router is what solved the problem, None of Verizons routers are 5ghz

Nu2FiOS

join:2012-11-07
Washington, DC
reply to Nu2FiOS
said by guppy_fish:

Well, using a 5ghz router is what solved the problem

The frequency band isn't the problem - at least in my case. My Asusu RT-N10+ router that gives me the full provisioned speed is only 2.4GHz.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by Nu2FiOS:

said by guppy_fish:

Well, using a 5ghz router is what solved the problem

The frequency band isn't the problem - at least in my case. My Asusu RT-N10+ router that gives me the full provisioned speed is only 2.4GHz.

Yes, I can easily exceed 100Mb/s speeds over 2.4Ghz from my Asus RT-N56U routers. Although for me to hit 150Mb/s from my internet connection I do need to use 5Ghz. I couldn't find a frequency on 2.4Ghz that allowed me to hit 150Mb/s from my internet connection. And I only found one frequency on 5Ghz that got me to 150Mb/s.