how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

justgeegz

join:2012-11-07

[OOL] Network Setup Cisco DPQ-3925

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting. I am new to the forum and new to OOL. The tech came in to install for me on saturday and I received the modem in my post title. I ran a speedtest from my imac and it was pretty much as advertised (OOL Boost plus) roughly 50 down and 8 up. I noticed that when me and my wife were online together we were having trouble with multiple tabs open.

Today I rewired the network (the tech was like a bull in a china shop). He had the wire for my imac right into the modem and then everything else hooked up to the router that was provided to me (netgear N600). The internet still speed tests fine but it is not as quick as I am used to with FIOS (I switched because of price reasons, savings of about 70 a month). I am curious if this modem is conflicting with my router because it has a built in router (4 ethernet connections on the back). I have been trying to find a way to make sure the modem is in bridge mode so it only functions as a modem but havent seen any of that. Sorry for the long post on my first one but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Do you have a business account with static IP? If so, each device connected would have to be configured with a static IP. If not, and you're using your own router, then it is probably best to get a different modem. At least as of last year that modem was only used for static IP installs.

justgeegz

Hi frdrizzt,

Nope, no static ip and no business account. Just boost plus service.

justgeegz

Well I went today and exchanged the modem for the Arris TM822G. I think this should work out much better based on what I have been reading on here.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
reply to justgeegz
Does this setup imply that CV allowed this customer two authorized MAC addresses at a time? I don't see how the imac and the router would simultaneously work otherwise.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by Network Guy:

Does this setup imply that CV allowed this customer two authorized MAC addresses at a time? I don't see how the imac and the router would simultaneously work otherwise.

The DPQ-3925 has a built in router. If he doesn't have static IP service, the DPQ might've been configured for NAT + DHCP, so then there's still only 1 CPE MAC address (the internal WAN of the router).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Network Guy
said by Network Guy:

The router WAN interface still gets the public IP, as said above, like when the router is configured for Static IP, but the devices take a 10. IP instead of being configured for the static IP range - like if someone uses the Cisco 851 router and it loses the static IP config.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
That DPQ3925 was never supposed to land on your residential, non-static-IP account. Tech must have confused it with a DPQ3912 - they are similar enough. Without static-IP, it's operating in NAT mode, and if you were operating another NAT box behind it, there's some significant caveats - NAT-behind-NAT doesn't work well for a few things (XBOX Live very much breaks, I think Netflix had problems with it, too). Fully explains why you were able to operate both a directly attached machine and a router at the same time, too - it has a 4-port switch, but all ports are in the same 192.168.x.x RFC1918 network.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
reply to justgeegz
Ahh.. Should have googled that router then. I've mostly dealt with Cisco 1700's and 1800's.