join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

[FireFox] Redesigning browser bookmarking

Techspot:
Mozilla looking to redesign browser bookmarking with Dropzilla

quote:
Mozilla could be looking to reinvent bookmarking in Firefox as part of an ongoing effort to improve Firefox’s browsing experience. Mozilla’s Brian Groudan recently conducted a nine week research project at the request of the Firefox for Android team that questioned whether traditional bookmarks are really the best method to support revisits...cont'd
Planet UX:
Firefox and “save for later”
quote:
All browsers support two functions: searching and revisiting. My research questions whether constructs like bookmarks really are the right model to support revisiting. I worked closely with Mozilla user experience researchers and designers to rethink how Firefox can better offer “save for later” in the browser. Firefox front-end developers and product managers for mobile and desktop were also involved throughout the process...cont'
Bit of a demo at bottom of blog post.
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I like my bookmarks. I have many folders, many bookmarks. While it is interesting, Dropzilla is not something I would want to replace bookmarks. Maybe as an addition, but not replacement. Looks more like the "New Tab" on steroids. I do not use "New Tabs", not useful to me. Dropzilla could be useful but as I already stated not as a replacement for bookmarks.

As for save for later. Why, we have a Save-To-Read extension that works just fine for this. Also the Unsorted folder could also be used for "read it later" I use both for this purpose.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to chachazz

While I am also happy with the current format / layout of "Bookmarks" in the Firefox/Waterfox browser, it is interesting to see how other people use them.

For example, having the ability to put your bookmark somewhere that you could access directly from your browser, no matter where you are or what device is a cool idea. Personally, that's something I would never use, as I only own a desktop. However, for someone who has a desktop/laptop in their home, a smartphone, and a tablet, all running the same browser type (Firefox on all) would be cool.

Then, if you were out and about, and bookmarked something on your tablet, you could then come home, open your browser on your desktop, and see that bookmark that you saved while you were out using your tablet. If it could happen without much setup / configuration by the end user, that could be very cool.

Ideally, if your "bookmark" drop down in Firefox could change on the fly in real time with the bookmark list on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or even multiple desktops, that would be a cool thing indeed.

I know when I was working, I would find some cool link while surfing the web at lunch in the office. To "save" that for later use to read more at home, I would have to e-mail the bookmark to myself. This idea would eliminate the need to "email" links to myself.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to chrisretusn

said by chrisretusn:

I like my bookmarks. I have many folders, many bookmarks. While it is interesting, Dropzilla is not something I would want to replace bookmarks. Maybe as an addition, but not replacement.

+1

If people are happy with what they have, how is this an improvement? A lot of us are heavily invested in our bookmarks. We've carried some for years and use them daily.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

said by goalieskates:

said by chrisretusn:

I like my bookmarks. I have many folders, many bookmarks. While it is interesting, Dropzilla is not something I would want to replace bookmarks. Maybe as an addition, but not replacement.

+1

If people are happy with what they have, how is this an improvement? A lot of us are heavily invested in our bookmarks. We've carried some for years and use them daily.

I agree. If some don't like the new system, I for one won't use it. I'll find another way around.

If someone comes out with a browser that has nothing but bookmarks, some of FX addons for security and privacy and tabs with no other junk I have to tweak to my liking, I'd switch instantly.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to chachazz

I am very happy with my system of bookmarks now. Why change something you are happy with?

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to plencnerb

Opera has that.

Actually, Firefox does too. Firefox Sync is very similar to Opera Link. Not sure it works real time.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to chachazz

As long as it's an Opt-in thing or a totally separate thing that you can test out while keeping your existing bookmarks/method alone.

I use the Add Bookmark Here extension »addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/3880 that allows me to add the current thing I'm looking at into the folder I want directly.

I never click on that Star.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

said by MarkRH:

I use the Add Bookmark Here extension »addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/3880 that allows me to add the current thing I'm looking at into the folder I want directly.

The extension does come in handy but, you still must navigate through your bookmarks to the position you want to add the site to.

I use the star. That Star it comes in handy also, to temporarily bookmark a site. One click puts it in Unsorted (I put an Unsorted folder in my Bookmarks Toolbar to make it convenient to use.), a second click lets you edit the bookmark. Middle click on it and the Library window opens. Left clicking on it brings up the the Add Bookmark Here ² options window (if you have that extension installed.) That Star also lets me know a site is already bookmarked.

In addition to Add Bookmark Here ², I use Edit Bookmark Plus, Manage Folders, Save-To-Read, Show Parent Folder, and Stay-Open Menu.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to chachazz

Just wanted to make a final point that's been bothering me in the original post:

said by Mozilla UX :
Research phase
Out of 60 profiles, I carefully selected ten people to participate in this study.
This redesign is based on the behavior of ten (10) people, and how many people use FF? I don't care how carefully chosen these ten people are, there is no way on earth ten people can accurately represent how a browser is used by hundreds of thousands. The sample is simply too small.

GIGO.