uniqs

Brendan
Warr Guitar
join:2000-07-14
Portland, OR

Brendan to Nezmo

to Nezmo

Re: We've passed Peak Apple....

Slow decline? The share price has collapsed 18% in 6 weeks. It'll collapse to around $400 in no time.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by Brendan:

Slow decline? The share price has collapsed 18% in 6 weeks. It'll collapse to around $400 in no time.

20% from its peak.

Apple has changed violently from last year.

I have an iPhone 4 which has become useless. Seems to be an app I have, (I have no idea which one) that crashes the device. It's been repaired professionally, exchanged, restores, resets (wipe), etc. Still crashes. In particular, the apps that crash the most are the Phone app (the iPhone phone app, the default one), twitter, etc. If I don't put anything on the phone, no crashes. As soon as I restore from iCloud, device is a brick. I've even gone as far as to remove all non-essential apps and data (all pictures and videos and music) and done a reset (none wipe, just wipe all settings), back-up, do a full wipe, DFU, restore (in that order) and restore last back-up from iCloud and the piece of shit still crashes. It's a iOS 6 issue, since it never crashed before that update.

Patiently waiting for BB10 to come out, and if it is half decent, I'm bailing.

Although I will be keeping the MacBooks because I'll never go back to Windows. (windows 8 is okay, but still no OS X)

Apple made their cash off of the iPhone, well, the majority of it, and they have seemed to have lost their focus on delivery a quality OS for their iDevice. It's a shame.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by J E F F4:

said by Brendan:

I have an iPhone 4 which has become useless. Seems to be an app I have, (I have no idea which one) that crashes the device. It's been repaired professionally, exchanged, restores, resets (wipe), etc. Still crashes. In particular, the apps that crash the most are the Phone app (the iPhone phone app, the default one), twitter, etc. If I don't put anything on the phone, no crashes. As soon as I restore from iCloud, device is a brick. I've even gone as far as to remove all non-essential apps and data (all pictures and videos and music) and done a reset (none wipe, just wipe all settings), back-up, do a full wipe, DFU, restore (in that order) and restore last back-up from iCloud and the piece of shit still crashes. It's a iOS 6 issue, since it never crashed before that update.

Here's a question. Are any of the apps that you added to the phone the kind that do any sort of "keep alive" function?

I've found that since iOS6 anything like that *may* cause issues until it is either updated or you manually kill that program (I have a VoIP program on my iPhone that caused issues until it was updated and a program that I use to monitor my sleep pattern that I have to force kill when I wake up otherwise it kills the battery and causes all sorts of other fun issues,

NefCanuck

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

I manually shut everything down. I have a sleep program too, not sure if it is the same one. Anyway, I just deleted my iCloud, will re-register it on the iPhone, re-back-up, do a full reset, and do a restore from that iCloud.

However, everything I read in the Apple Support Community points that the iPhone 4 isn't compatible with Teh™ iOS 6. Problem apps are The FaceBook, Twitter (which can be deleted), Messages and the Phone App (which cannot be deleted, but an iPhone isn't a phone without the phone app).

Apple has lost a lot of market share in the superphone market, it's because their quality of software has dropped off significantly over the past 10 months or so. If this isn't solved by January 1st (for tax purposes), I'm ditching my provider and will pay the ECF and put the iPhone through the company shredder and buy a BB or Samsung. Even my PlayBook when it first came out didn't give me this many issues.

I do however have the suspicion that whenever restoring from iCloud it is putting on info that shouldn't be there which is causing issues.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

... that's the difference maybe cause I stayed the hell away from iFraud because I want my data to stay in my control.

I've never trusted could services with anything of mine that I can't afford to lose and have a NAS in RAID 1 config.

Maybe you should try dumping iCloud for a bit after resetting the phone and doing local only backups.

NefCanuck

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Local back-ups was what I used first. DFU restore in fact. Didn't work. So I'm at a loss to what else to try.

But thinking about that, if the local back-up didn't work, then I shouldn't have an expectation that the iCloud should work.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

i have an iP4 running 6.01 and have not any problems with it EXCEPT for a few glitches with the siriusXM streaming APP that is corrected by a simple phone reboot. I was having a freeze problem on a game but it corrected itself with 6.01 . Also i have iCloud turned off. I just do local backups to iTunes .

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

I think it might be the iCloud that is causing the issues, but I need to have a back-up for business purposes. As I said, I can swap over on January 1st.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to Brendan

Premium Member

to Brendan
It's back up over $11 today.

Brendan
Warr Guitar
Portland, OR

Brendan

said by Count Zero:

It's back up over $11 today.

Yes, and still falling, longer-term. The trend is your friend.

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Long term? Long term Apple is WAYYY up and its products are doing great. I'm not concerned yet.

Brendan
Warr Guitar
Portland, OR

Brendan

said by Count Zero:

Long term? Long term Apple is WAYYY up and its products are doing great. I'm not concerned yet.

Long-term (7 weeks), when compared to your example (1 day).

Count Zero
Premium Member
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Long term 2 years.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand