lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

Question.

I am wanting to replace my trusty WNDR3700v1 router because the 2.4 ghz band is getting flaky, it getting old so I am not too upset.
In my research, I am considering the R6300 ac1750 or the WNDR4500. I want to stick with Netgear. My question is this..in reading the user manuals on them, they don't like you to change the SSID name or security key from it's default that it is shipped with. Is that true and would using my existing ones create any issues?
It would be a pain to have to reconfigure all the wireless devices.

SHY
0x27
Premium
join:2010-06-21
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
I've been using the WNDR4500 for six months now, and I changed both the SSID and put in my own key with no problems. Don't know where you heard that from.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
It's in bold print in the user manual. Name (SSID). The SSID is also known as the wireless network name. Enter a 32-character (maximum) name in this field. This field is case-sensitive. The default SSID is randomly generated, and NETGEAR strongly recommends that you do not change this.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to jaynick
No problems changing the SSID or anything else as long as you do understand the implications. I never go with the default SSID.

Their manuals, unfortunately, are not accurate -- so i would not take everything they state in the manuals as gospel.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks guys. It did sound odd to me. Now it's decision time, the R6300 or the WNDR4500? Any input there? recommendations etc.?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

said by jaynick:

Thanks guys. It did sound odd to me. Now it's decision time, the R6300 or the WNDR4500? Any input there? recommendations etc.?

Go with the R6300 -- very nice product -- if you have b/g gear then stay away from the R6300 and go with the WNDR4500.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Thanks. I was leaning toward the R6300, more future proof and not much more in price. All devices here are n.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
For the R6300 make sure to load Firmware Version 1.0.2.36

Broadcom updates the MIMO drivers for the R6300 occasionally so make sure to check the Netgear site for newer firmware beginning of each month. The MIMO drivers is what gives this model the big bang.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Will do, thanks.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to jaynick
The R6300 came today and have it all setup. A breeze to do and seems like a real nice router. I have one question as I haven't seen this before. I have the 2.4ghz band set to channel 11 and mode at up to 450 Mbps. I bring up inSSIDer and it says that but after 15 minutes or so it reverts to 216 Mbps according to inSSIDer. I look at the actual setting in the wireless setup and it still shows up to 450Mbps. Is this normal?
BTW, I have the latest firmware, first thing I did before setup. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Never mind.... just found this setting and my answer...Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence

Disabling this option allows your 2.4GHz wireless to stay in supporting the max speed. Enabling this option may reduce the max speed of your 2.4GHz wireless to the half when there is another wireless network detected in your environment; this is to avoid inteference between wireless networks and to get along with other wireless networks in the environment

New setting for me, wasn't in my old 3700.