how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gjkiii

join:2010-12-02
Los Angeles, CA

Unusual question

When Fios was installed at my house the put the main box in my garage. Its one box thats has the battery and everything else. There is no box outside. Does this box have any kind of motor in it? The reason why I am asking is that I am trying to track down a sound which sounds like a motor in my garage (almost like a sound a VCR would make when its rewinding) and i was wondering if it could come from that box. Thank you.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
There shouldn't be a motor in it. You might be hearing the sound of a power transformer somewhere in the garage. The BBU does have one that steps voltage down from 120v to where it needs to be.

gjkiii

join:2010-12-02
Los Angeles, CA
Is the motor fairly loud in the BBU?

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
said by gjkiii:

Is the motor fairly loud in the BBU?

No motor in the BBU - just a power supply that converts 120 VAC to whatever voltage(s) the ONT requires. The power supply could be noisy and either hum or buzz but that is not particularly normal.

You'd have to walk around the garage and listen to figure out where the sound is coming from. If it appears to be the ONT/BBU you could try calling V* but whether they would do something about it is another matter.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to gjkiii
All known BBUs and ONTs, plus combo units, currently in use for FiOS are convection cooled. There are no fans in current equipment.

Unless, of course, you got one of those experimental XGPON ONTs by mistake. Is your speed test showing Gigabit speeds on the speedtest? Look for 10Gbps down and 2.5 Gbps up.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
said by birdfeedr:

All known BBUs and ONTs, plus combo units, currently in use for FiOS are convection cooled. There are no fans in current equipment.

Unless, of course, you got one of those experimental XGPON ONTs by mistake. Is your speed test showing Gigabit speeds on the speedtest? Look for 10Gbps down and 2.5 Gbps up.

The XGPON ONTs have fans?

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 recommendation

Oops! did I say something against the NDA?

What I really meant to say was "when the XGPON ONTs come out, I'll really be a big fan. Of the high speeds. Yeah. That's what I meant to say."

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Smith6612
Could be true, given this story:

»40Gbps Connection Used...To Dry Laundry?

LoL...