how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

Ditching Shaw cable need media player ideas

Gonna try going cold turkey with the whole family and I'm ditching Shaw cable this week.

They're showing the "you need our digital box or else" ticker every 20 min. I have no intention of having yet another device/remote and pay $2 extra per TV on top of the $70 for 10 watchable channels. I'd rather buy an antenna for each TV and media player connected to the internet.

What do you think of these

»www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=64492&···oid=1230

»www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=70955&···oid=1444

»www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=70906&···ure=Roku

I can also download shows daily, got plenty of data transfer between my home and business connections.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

Depends on how much you want to spend and how much flexibility you want. If you don't mind spending more I'd recommend considering an HTPC with an HDMI output running a desktop OS. This kind of setup gives you significantly greater flexibility (choose any media player software you want as well as stream video from any website you choose), and have much less codec issues.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by decx:

Depends on how much you want to spend and how much flexibility you want. If you don't mind spending more I'd recommend considering an HTPC with an HDMI output running a desktop OS. This kind of setup gives you significantly greater flexibility (choose any media player software you want as well as stream video from any website you choose), and have much less codec issues.

Also there are HTPC cases that make them look just like a stereo component, so it doesn't clash visually.

Robby

@74.198.150.x
reply to analog andy

If your seeing the ticker then you should of had a letter which means you get the extra box free. It's what happened in my area, btw the low channels you still don't need a box. You should call to get the box free.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to analog andy

for roku unless you need the game stuff get the lower end model. Amazon has it cheaper. Does 1080P streaming but big warming it's really only useful for netflix. You may be better to get get the WD player as it's does netflix plus other file formats. I got one for my in-laws for x-mas. Tested it out I myself was not impressed with it but it does netlfix well and video looks good and it's easy to use so it's good for them.

»www.amazon.ca/Roku-XD-Streaming-···9&sr=8-1

On download media honestly I'd just build a small HTPC and install XBMC on it.

So if the HTPC is not something you're into I'd go with the WD player it will do netflix plus play downloaded files. Some files may give you issues but most should work ok.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to analog andy

I have AppleTV and use a unblock-us to gain US content for Netflix and HuluPlus. You might also need that WD device to watching most downloaded content (like .avi files) since the latest version of AppleTV hasn't been jailbroken yet to play all media content.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to analog andy

Its not on your list, however I recently got the WD Live TV Hub, basically its the same thing minus wireless, however includes a 1TB hard drive. So far its worked, though I have a few files which don't seem to be supported. Its web features are a tad light, but that's because most of the services aren't supported up here in Canada. Media indexing is slow and problematic, best just to stick with the folder view (both this device and the one you are looking at share the same firmware).

When I get around to running more cable it will be integrated into my network so the HDD will be perhaps less important, it still has USB ports for additional media storage to be connected. WD HUB is on when it is off, from the network you can still see it and access the files, send or remove as you wish which makes it a usefully little NAS.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to analog andy

quote:
I have no intention of having yet another device/remote and pay $2 extra per TV on top of the $70 for 10 watchable channels.
What kind of plan is that?

I pay $100 a month for cable and internet and get easily 50 channels with my Shaw digital box.
--
~~Go Lions....back to back Cups!!~~

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by ZZZZZZZ:

quote:
I have no intention of having yet another device/remote and pay $2 extra per TV on top of the $70 for 10 watchable channels.
What kind of plan is that?

I pay $100 a month for cable and internet and get easily 50 channels with my Shaw digital box.

I take it he means good channels. Hell I can pick like 10 channels and that is all I would ever need most crap sucks. I get free extended basic from rogers canceled cable a year ago almost they never cut it off.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to analog andy

I use a popcorn hour a110 as my media box. I was thinking of upgrading to an a400 when it comes out. Popcorn Hour's are a bit of a higher end media box.

One of the main reasons I like them is they can house an internal 3.5" hard drive which lets me have more storage on my home network.

As for Shaw's transition to digital. It was inevitable. High Def and Internet need more bandwidth. Analog channels use up to much (You can fit about 3 digital HD channels in for every analog SD channel you remove).

I was under the impression they gave a free rental to people who were previously on analog only?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to analog andy

I have a Roku now. It's great for Netflix, Hulu, etc but terrible for any non-streaming media. Bought it long before they were selling them in Canada.

Perhaps the Roku2 they're now selling is better with local media, i've never tried it. If I didn't already have a Roku i'd probably spend a bit more and buy something a bit more powerful.

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to analog andy

I thought about HTPC but just can't be bothered with building computers anymore.

I know Shaw offered one free rental but I got 4 tv's so really I'd rather use this moment to ditch them. I got the basic + of whatever its called these days goes up to 50+ channels I'm pretty sure my bill is close to $70 last time I checked. I also had a shitty experience with their support guys so I got rid of the internet about a 1.5 years ago.

I'm thinking of getting a good router, power line networking, USB HD or two hooked up to the router and a media player in each room. Also get antennas for the TV's to get a few of the local ota chnnels.

vue666
I love Lanny Barbie
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS

I have a WD TV Live and love it. It is attached to my tv in the rec room and accesses media files via wireless on my Linux computer upstairs. No stuttering or freezing...

Jethro86

join:2005-05-27
Winchester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to analog andy

I have a WD TV Live unit. I like it for the most part.
Works well though some small issues like remembering where I left off watching program gets lost if the power shuts off.
Since power is so shakey where I am I put it on a battery backup.
It can also be a little stupid when finding network shares if the PC isn't on. Took 15 minutes last time to finally connect to my PC when both were on.
Also does not come with a browser built in if that is a concern. I thought I didn't need it but there was one time when I wanted it.
It does play anything I can throw at it wirelessly though I did end up running a Cat5 to the unit to makes sure.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to analog andy

said by analog andy:

I thought about HTPC but just can't be bothered with building computers anymore.

If you don't want to build a system but don't mind spending more to buy one there are a few pre-built htpc systems out there. Personally I run a Mac Mini as a HTPC running Plex and it does the job really well. All the flexibility of a desktop while looking smaller and sleeker than the rest of my system components.

balur

join:2010-04-28
reply to analog andy

I've set up an HTPC with a TV Tuner in it to get over the air channels with an antenna. I get 6 (CBC, CTV, CTV2 CityTV, OMNI, Global) channels, which contain 90% of what I'd want to actually watch.

I use MediaPortal on the front end, and For The Record on the back end, it works nicely, though it needed a bit of love to get up and running.

Can play anything you download, and has access to enough OTA content.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to analog andy

Get an 4GB XBox for $199. With the Dashboard update last week, it finally gets browsing capability with IE10, as well as adding XBox Music and XBox Video, the latter streams HD video, Netflix too.

If you have Windows 8, whatever media content is stored on your computer can also be played on XBox, and vice versa. Plus there's no fiddling with settings to get the devices to recognize each other, something I've run into with an Asus OiPlay streaming from a Windows 7 PC.

»support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/···s-movies
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to analog andy

Plugged an antenna into my TV: good for local channels (never watch them).
Plugged my computer into my TV: good for ALMOST everything else (always use it).

The one item you WILL lose by cutting the cord is live sports.

The software I use to play videos is Zoom player (»inmatrix.com) with VLC Media Player as a backup (»videolan.org). I don't use "media center" software or gadgets since I know my way around a computer.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
reply to analog andy

well OP being as you don't want to build yourself a PC I'd say go for the WD live player. It will play the streaming stuff and will play most downloaded files.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to analog andy

manufacturer refurb boxee box on ebay for $100.
Bought 2 of them a while back. They work fantastic.

1080p playback
support for a plethora of formats
apps like netflix, navi-x, pandora, etc.

If you were going HTPC route though I would suggest XBMC.

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to analog andy

Too much reading on the media players. So thinking a netbook with HDMI/linux/XMBC/wirelss htpc keyboard or one of those Zotac mini pc's.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to analog andy

Another vote for WD Live. I have it, kids love it. If I was in the market I would be tempted by the Pivos AIOS Media Centre model when its on sale.

»www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40159

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
reply to analog andy

I've got 2 WDTV Live Plus boxes and they work great for everything I throw at them.

I also have a zotac bookshelf pc setup for streaming other things but it rarely gets used.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to analog andy

+1 for the WD player. I have had mine for over a year. Costco sometimes have them a bit cheaper. The one I have does mkv if you are downloading alot of HD stuff and it supports un-block.us with netflix and hulu. Can't speak for the others because I have never tried them.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Coastie
reply to analog andy

Interesting. But what about News, Hockey games, Football games, Olympic Games, World Cup, Poker Games. These, according to what I read, are great if you want to watch movies or TV Shows all day long. Unless I'm missing something.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by capdjq:

Interesting. But what about News, Hockey games, Football games, Olympic Games, World Cup, Poker Games. These, according to what I read, are great if you want to watch movies or TV Shows all day long. Unless I'm missing something.

News can be got on the net and if you want sites will stream live TV so you can watch fox news CNN or whatever news station you're into. On that other stuff some people may not be into it. Now on that poker I don't get how anyone can watch that.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to analog andy

The best feature of the WD unit is the upscaling it does.
Basically all my back up dvd's do not require repurchasing in blu-ray format as the upscaling does a decent job when viewing sd dvd's on 50" tv.
--
~ Project Hope ~

analog andy

Surrey, BC
reply to analog andy

Hmm looks like the WD Live might be the way to go although it would be nice to have a full web browser, this is where a netbook would come in handy with a htpc keyboard/mouse pad combo.

Lol I just remembered the kids have two netbooks I'll have to see if they have hdmi and if so I'll repo them.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to analog andy

I mentioned the Pivos unit because I think it has a better browser capability compared to the WD Live models.

As for the cad who noted what about sports....... heck what is the diff from a d/l TV show or movie to a d/l sports event especially in HD. Why would anybody waste their time watching people play poker. Get a life.

analog andy

Surrey, BC

1 edit
reply to analog andy

Anyone know much about these »www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···4541en02

Maybe even this one »www.thesource.ca/estore/product.···=8001390

Also this one »www.thesource.ca/estore/product.···=8004101

Just load up Linux and XMBC.