Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1

Packet shaping and Bandwidth priority

Hi All

I want to offer a flat rate unlimited data plan, but need to give my subscribers who pay by the gigabyte priority over the flatrate subscribers.

I had always thought i would be installing a netequalizer at some stage, but it only balances traffic on an even playing field.

I need something that allows me to place priority with one group over another:
- A minimum guarantee of 30% to flat rate subscribers
- A minimum guarantee of 70% to pay-per-gb subscribers
- When a group is not using all of its allocated pipe size, the other group may use the remainder.

Eg. at 3am the flat rate subscribers may have the whole pipe, but if a pay-per-gb user starts surfing, they get priority
Eg. at 8pm when the pipe is maxed out, priority of a 70/30 ratio is given to the respective groups.

Preferably it will be bridged lan/wan ports rather than routing, and also be ipv6 compatible.

What would be your suggestions?

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18

I used to do something like this with Mikrotik when I didn't have anywhere near enough upstream. If your network is small and flat you could probably do it just at the headend. Bigger and Routed and you'll need a way to set QOS at the tower router and follow it along the path with priority queues. Butch Evans has a pretty advanced QOS script that would show you the basic framework I think.

Alternatively MPLS would definitely help do this but that's a long way out there on the learning curve.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1
reply to raytaylor

only 150 customers right now but i am planning for up to 400.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18

It's a lot easier to plan and implement now than when you're at a thousand or more (I initially only wanted 15 customers - break even # at that time;) ). One of the biggest mistakes that I think start ups make is NOT speed limiting the customer when they are 'smaller'. We've done it since day one and have lots of happy customers. I know other WISP's that don't and their customers run to us screaming about how inconsistent their old ISP was. Perception is everything.