uniqs

Jim7
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10

1 recommendation

Jim7

Premium Member

Rook

This is just a shot in the dark. Some of the stories about the east coast weather mentioned his home town. Rook008 See Profile hasn't been on the site since the storm. Based on his location, he could have been in a pretty bad spot. He posts a lot in the sports forum but I thought I'd take a shot and ask here. Has anybody had contact with him lately?

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I haven't. Anyone have him on FB?

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Haven't seen him around.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain to Jim7

Premium Member

to Jim7
I haven't seen him on either. According to the site it's been 1 week and 2 days. I understand that there is probably internet connectivity issues in his area due to the storm. I hope that he is OK.....

Dezbend
MVM
join:2001-04-20

Dezbend to Jim7

MVM

to Jim7
no idea.

I hope that everything is ok.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

Chaplain

Premium Member

We miss you too Dez, but aren't really worried about your safety.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

said by Chaplain:

We miss you too Dez, but aren't really worried about your physical safety.

Though, we are worried about your mental safety.

Dezbend
MVM

Dezbend

MVM

PTU

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

I'm concerned about Dez getting lost at sea.

Can you imagine finding a blue baby in a blue ocean? He'll be lost forever.

And hopefully Rook is doing fine.

Prevailer
Freeze a poopy.
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Your Mom

Prevailer

Premium Member

If you're going to get lost in the ocean you need a white baby on a key chain. RIP

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

1 recommendation

Rook008 to Jim7

Premium Member

to Jim7
Thanks for the concern guys. I'm ok.

The storm filled my basement with about 7 feet of water, and the electrical system was pretty much destroyed. Both breaker panels were underwater (salt water) for a couple of days. LIPA took forever to get the power turned on after I got stuff fixed up, and I elected to stay with the house, so no electricity for almost 3 weeks. No internet access here means no access to DSLR from work.
It was very boring.
I did a lot of reading though.

Chaplain
So It Goes
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

Chaplain

Premium Member

Glad you're safe. Sorry you had so much water. I'll have a word with Sandy about that. Bad storm. Bad!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

Thanks. I was actually a lot luckier than a lot of people on the peninsula. I heard from a neighbor that over 100 homes caught fire because of Sandy. All I had was some water to pump out, some damage to clean up, a little rebuilding to do, and the loss of some modern comforts.

I can live (temporarily) without heat and hot water, but losing electricity was kind of annoying.

Sandy was a bad girl all right.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Glad you're ok, Rook.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

Thanks Krisn.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Just reiterate what the others have said, we're glad you're good. Also, glad to hear stuff around your place is getting fixed up.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

1 recommendation

Rook008

Premium Member

Thanks.

Things are getting fixed up, but of course it's a slow process.
The American Red Cross and a bunch of volunteer organizations have been extremely helpful with providing food and blankets and that type of stuff to the neighborhood, and helping with cleanup.
NYC Sanitation literally drives around all day and night picking up whatever cleanup garbage they see. A group of volunteers helped me empty my basement yesterday afternoon, and this morning the bags (about 20 of them) are all gone.

But LIPA took forever to restore power, even after my panels were replaced and inspected, and my flood insurance company and FEMA are really backed up. It's going to take a while, but things aren't that bad really.

Dezbend
MVM

1 recommendation

Dezbend

MVM

PTU.

Let us know if there is anything we can do.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
I'm thankful that you're OK and the only damage is to your property and nothing more serious.

It's really awesome that there are so many volunteers out there!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to Jim7

Premium Member

to Jim7
Yeah, the amount of people from all over the country that just showed up to help is amazing.
It would have taken me days to get that basement cleaned up, and the dozen or so of them did it in about an hour. I wish I had gotten more info about the group so I could send them a donation or something.
Rook008

Rook008 to Dezbend

Premium Member

to Dezbend
Thanks for the offer Dez, but now it's basically a waiting game for me. Calling the insurance company every couple of days doesn't help much, unfortunately. But they'll get here eventually.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

1 recommendation

TheRul

Premium Member

Vote Rook
Well known fact, anyone who gets their garbage taken immediately is Mafia.
glad you weren't taken out to sea

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008

Premium Member

lol, thanks Therul.

We'll see how that garbage pick up goes. There's about 20 bags waiting for NYC sanitation right now.

Just today a FEMA rep put me in touch with a group of volunteers from the Mennonite Disaster Service. They showed up a half hour later (while my insurance company, who I pay, took over a month to come out and look at the damage) and helped me remove all of the drywall from my basement. Great group of people.