uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrBubbaHyde

join:2010-02-25
Shavertown, PA
reply to listonr12

Re: [DSL] Frontier Speed Issues at My Home

Me too. pulling my damn hair out...lol

Thanks for the help though, I am in direct communication with a local higher up,.(No Names)...he is extremely sympathetic, and has told me nothing short of its an infrastructure problem.

Had I known that when I signed up things may have been different. Now its just trying to get the most out of what I can.

Being my netflix sucks and at night is basically unwatchable, I am now in the process of doing the media server route, with plex, but the westell not being "N" is hurting that, as well as the limited range.

listonr12

join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN
That's good that they're in contact with you!

You could always get your own N router and put that 7500 in bridge mode.

Link to verizon instructions on changing to bridge mode

Westell Forum Post

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Thanks for the link, will try that first. Just thought it would be easier to just buy a different modem/router.

Cant I just take my two DSL Lines, and both modems and smash em together somehow to get 6.0mbps! lol

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Just got my Phone call from Comcast regarding the possibility of running service to my home,.....5/10ths of a mile from where they have service..............drum roll........

22,000.00 Dollars! Really...lol

The struggle continues....

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA

1 edit
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Click for full size
Click for full size
And so begins the nightly slow down........................

So glad I don't have to share my DSL line with the whole neighborhood, like they claim I would have to if I had Cable Internet,
what a joke this is becoming.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
My speed test at 9:50 pm......pitiful!

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
What a bunch of liars, how does this happen! Do they have a special pipeline to make the customers believe they are actually getting good speed?

BTW it took almost 3 minutes to upload these pics!

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
That's good that they're in contact with you!

You could always get your own N router and put that 7500 in bridge mode.

Link to verizon instructions on changing to bridge mode

Westell Forum Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried everything cant get it to connect in bridged mode...so frustrating.

Why oh why don't the just have a "N" modem router available, you know something a little more up to date!

Jeez it is 2012

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Frontier's speed test site gives out false reports. It reports about 2-3 times the actual speed than what you are really getting. It was not like that a year ago. They must have changed that sometime this year.

You have to stay on top of them. An idea is to band together some other DSL users in the area and when contacting Frontier tell them that you represent a group of people in your area that has banded together and perhaps even have their signatures stating that they all have speed issues and may petition cable to run into the area.

If you have line of site to someone you know has cable broadband then perhaps you could shoot with a pair of radios a signal to your house.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
said by staregazer:

Frontier's speed test site gives out false reports. It reports about 2-3 times the actual speed than what you are really getting. It was not like that a year ago. They must have changed that sometime this year.

You have to stay on top of them. An idea is to band together some other DSL users in the area and when contacting Frontier tell them that you represent a group of people in your area that has banded together and perhaps even have their signatures stating that they all have speed issues and may petition cable to run into the area.

If you have line of site to someone you know has cable broadband then perhaps you could shoot with a pair of radios a signal to your house.

In my area after the days of the CO's connection back to Rochester being saturated, the Frontier Speed test, which hasn't changed since then also reported the same speeds you would get if you ran a download or another speed test. After Frontier resolved the connectivity issues, we didn't see any speed issues to the Frontier speed test locally, but ones in other areas would sometimes be iffy (moreso for regions outside of NY). If I used a bandwidth monitor to compare transfer rates, the only thing the Frontier test did was report the proper speed the applet was getting, as agreed upon by my bandwidth monitor.

I think half of the reason is due to the fact that these are on-network tests. The other half may be because the tests are running over non-congested circuits, or in a shameful stance could be prioritized in such a way to only reveal issues with your physical circuit being congested, or DSLAM congestion.

I suppose what is being seen is the nature of the Internet and how things route. It was rather common for anything in the past for me that went from Rochester to Ashburn to see a nice speed hit at night. The Frontier speed test never left Rochester unless I picked another location.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA

1 edit
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Well things may have turned a corner.

After much searching and asking questions (thanks to all that have helped) I purchased a new modem/router last night, just to see if it helped with my signal, interior streaming issues.

I am very happy to report that I now have almost 100% signal strength in every area I need it from this Modem. Also for the first time last night I was getting a solid 2.8mbps at 10pm! So either Frontier fixed something, everyone on my line was out of town because it was friday night, or This new piece of equipment helped somehow.

I bought the Netgear N300-DNG2200, the thing I am most thankful for it was pretty much plug n play, only needing my Username and password to set up. The whole process took maybe 10 Minutes.

Also the strangest thing happened, as I went to bed I grabbed my Roku remote, which I have not used in weeks on any night because it was unwatchable with my speed,and pick a random movie on Amazon to watch. Guess what, it streamed in HD for the first time ever in my home! how is this possible??

Would love an answer to that!

Bonka

join:2002-12-05
Tamaqua, PA
So the issue was with your wireless router? Did you never test anything while plugged directly in to the router/modem? If that's the case, I can see why Frontier wasn't very helpful.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
"So the issue was with your wireless router? Did you never test anything while plugged directly in to the router/modem? If that's the case, I can see why Frontier wasn't very helpful."

Those tests were done with a direct hard wire to the modem, less than 3ft run.

The comment about speed at night did not hold true, as last night I was back down under 1.0 again, must have been everyone out on friday night! lol

So why the comment Frontier wasn't very helpful? Have you read the whole thread? And besides it's their router and Line, Why shouldn't they help?

If I misread your comment, sorry.

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Bubba, have you looked into »www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/home···/main.do
Verizon 4G homefusion.
If you have no other options and Frontier knows that you don't have another option,they won't do anything.
Email the upper management again and be persistent.
Don't take no for an answer and tell them you are going to the homefusion.
Some good and bad reviews on it so tread lightly and good luck

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
I will look into it right now, somehow I doubt it No verizon cell phone service here only ATT, will let you know, Thanks for the help.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Pittpete,

Nope not available to me, thanks anyway,.....

Gonna keep banging my head on their doors, this is just sad,..period.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Click for full size
This is what I'm getting right now, they have major problems here.

I could drive to scranton in 20 minutes!

pittpete1

join:2009-06-12
Document your speeds during different times of the day if you havn't allready.
Have a few weeks worth of evidence and email them again.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Click for full size
Yes, I have been keeping track, and as I said before, I have been in contact with a local manager. The biggest problem for me is where I am. Here is a map to show you. In my area I am sure there's not a whole lot of Video streaming going on, so I'm quite sure there's not alot of other complaints, the two neighbors I have on this road don't even have cell phones,lol.

All I can do is keep calling and complaining, amd as I said Comcast wants 22,000 dollars to run cable like 2,000 feet LOL!

Bonka

Tamaqua, PA
It doesn't have to be a local problem. Try running traceroutes to see if you're getting packet loss somewhere. That's what my issue is. When I run the traceroutes, everything is fine from my house to the first hop (local) but once it goes to Dallas, PA (and then Ashburn, VA) I start losing packets, which basically means their fiber is most likely maxed out during prime time.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Click for full size
Here's my trace result.............?

Bonka

Tamaqua, PA
You shouldn't see any *s, those are lost. It's easier to run a program that will continuously run traceroutes over a period of time to see what happens and gives you a better idea of where the problem is. You need to send that info to support/the techs. Not sure why your first hop is epix.net if you have Frontier service though.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
To chime onto the above: Microsoft has a tool called Pathping which does just that. Comes with Windows. There's also WinMTR which is pretty handy as well.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to Bonka
This is an old epix area, I believe Frontier took it over years ago.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Thanks Smith will try that also, any help I can get is always deeply appreciated, Im so frustrated this thread has been a help, because I can now use the "lingo to explain the problems that are being I hate to say maybe not ignored, but I don't think there's enough of me types complaining to make a difference.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Click for full size
Here's the pathping, If I did it wrong just let me know...

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
I am currently running a test with testmy.net

Will see what that info entails in 12 hrs, will be interested to see at what time I can actually accomplish my work, and then adjust my body time clock to fit Frontiers schedule, lol

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
reply to MrBubbaHyde
Click for full size
Well here's what came back...

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
You did the Pathping correctly. It's a rather straightforward Utility. It's showing a small amount of loss starting from your router up to the first router on Frontier's end. There is one router that does not show loss however that may be either a fluke or there is actually not congestion until you actually get beyond Hop 4. A tiny amount of loss can cause some significant speed decreases in many cases, which is why 1-2% packet loss is also not accepted in many cases throughout an entire route.

Your latency isn't really that bad for being a congested time, but granted it is for small packets. I assume your testmy.net results have the congested periods seen during the beginning portion of it, where late night/early morning is where the speed suddenly increases.

Since the point between Hop 1 and 2 can go through your CO to another office, continue to bug Frontier about this. Hopefully someone will give you some details on what is going on. The Local techs at the CO typically know what's up with connectivity at night. Other members who lurk the forums here who work for Frontier might also be able to help pinpoint the problem further if you can't get anywhere with the local techs and CSRs.

MrBubbaHyde

Shavertown, PA
said by Smith6612:

Your latency isn't really that bad for being a congested time, but granted it is for small packets. I assume your testmy.net results have the congested periods seen during the beginning portion of it, where late night/early morning is where the speed suddenly increases.

Yes If I remember the test ran from approx. 7 or 8 Pm to 7 or 8 am.

I have forwarded the results to the local manager but have heard nothing back from him in 3 Days, not liking that. I hate to go over his head because he has been very nice and seemed willing to help and has communicated with me directly by phone. But this is getting beyond the point of me caring who I offend.

I really don't feel like I'm asking too much, I know I was sold 12 and will never get that because they lied, or didn't know my local. But I at least would like to approach the 5, 6, 7 mark so some streaming can be done. That,s what I'm fighting for!

My two neighbors have also called and complained but got nowhere