spc
uniqs

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to Gigabyte2004

to Gigabyte2004

Re: Cat5/Cat6...... Phone/DSL install

I deal with at&t as little as possible, but we have circuits and phone lines from them at work. My experience has been decent, once the tech actually shows up. The headache for me comes from dealing with the automated systems over the phone. My PRI circuit ID is 29 characters, and the stupid computer never understands half of it!
I think they schedule these guys too closely so it's impossible to make the promised time commitment.
I will say that each time a tech has been out, they worked to fix the problems and make sure we did not have them again.
Gigabyte2004
join:2004-09-12
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

Well,I come home and find that ABSOLUTELY nothing had been done. I called the guy from last night and I haven't received a call back.
The funny thing is I got a call from ATT wanting to know how my new Uverse service was a few minutes ago. He said that the ticket had been closed.I just laughed and said RIGHT! He wanted to know what the problem was,so I let him have it.He just listened and after was all said and done said he would try to get someone out here tonight,I laughed again. I told him that I have been going through this crap for a few days now and didn't really give a damn if it was fixed or not now.
MY home town has their own Cable,Phone and Cable Internet,so I'm going up there to see what kind of speeds I can get. I fthey fix it fine,if not oh well.I'll cancel all my services that I have had with them for the last ten years and never look back.
Gigabyte2004

Gigabyte2004 to jeffmoss26

to jeffmoss26
Well,I come home and find that ABSOLUTELY nothing had been done. I called the guy from last night and I haven't received a call back.
The funny thing is I got a call from ATT wanting to know how my new Uverse service was a few minutes ago. He said that the ticket had been closed.I just laughed and said RIGHT! He wanted to know what the problem was,so I let him have it.He just listened and after was all said and done said he would try to get someone out here tonight,I laughed again. I told him that I have been going through this crap for a few days now and didn't really give a damn if it was fixed or not now.
If they fix it fine,if not oh well. My home town has there own Cable,Phone and Cable internet,so I may just check with them to see what is available.

Crash Gordon
Zero Tolerance For Stupid
join:2004-06-08
Smyrna, GA

Crash Gordon to Gigabyte2004

to Gigabyte2004
I feel your pain and frustration. I kicked all AT&T services to the curb about 2 years ago, couldn't be happier. I waited over 2 months to get a line buried (kept sending the "wrong" people) out, I got tired of it (and the useless phone calls to CS) and buried it my damn self (supposed to have received a $30 credit for that), yeah, that never happened either. What a shocker.

As much as I'd hate it, I'd do without before having AT&T services for anything. If you have a choice, go for it, it can't be any worse.
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

I got another call this morning that a tech would be here to install the NID sometime today. I told him that I will believe it when I see a new box.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Gigabyte2004:

I got another call this morning that a tech would be here to install the NID sometime today. I told him that I will believe it when I see a new box.

you have got to watch that tech do it right and ask him to show the stuff....if not, tell him to go away and not waste your time.
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

I have to go to work today,so I hope he comes before I leave. If not,I'll take the picture of yours and tape it to the old box. Maybe he will know what to do then.
Gigabyte2004

1 edit

Gigabyte2004

I give an update later on this. I'm at work so not a lot of time to explain.
Gigabyte2004

Gigabyte2004

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Ok guys,here's the deal.

I get a phone call this morning from ATT asking about the service call for this morning.The guy asked if I actually needed an inside and outside tech or just the outside tech. I told him that I just needed an outside tech,so he cancelled the inside tech and told me that the other tech would be here sometime today. I had hoped that I would be here when he came,but I had to go to work.

Around 12:30 I have a voice message from a number that looked familiar. I call the number back and when the guy answers I realize that is is one of the techs that I had dealt with when I was at the old house. He says that he sees all the problems that I have been going through and that he was going to take care of it for me. AWESOME!!!!! Like I said I have dealt with him before and I had no doubt that it would be done now.He had already put up the NID when he called me. He also ran new wire for my drop and I didn't even ask for it. He run a new ground also which can be seen in the pictures.

He checked my speeds and said that they were looking excellent and he said that he was actually pulling 6.6mbps on the new drop. I have been told that I was able to get 6.0mbps,so that confirms it.

So in one hour he installed the new NID and run a new drop from the pole to the house and the others couldn't do a simple NID install. He told me that the next time I need something to call him first. I have his number in my phone and his ATT tech ID# so I can request him personally.

He asked if I had a DSL filter and I said yes,so I put it in when I got home,but I'm not sure If I need it,it looks like it has one already. It's not hooked up yet. You can see it in the picture.Let me know if you think I should.

So,here's the pics.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

That is great news. Glad you finally got it resolved.

So now you have a weekend project to install an inside drop to the DSL modem from the POTS Splitter and hopefully should be all set.

I'd save the modem stats you posted for reference. That way if DSL degrades you have a benchmark for what it should be.

/tom
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to Gigabyte2004

to Gigabyte2004
said by Gigabyte2004:

He asked if I had a DSL filter and I said yes,so I put it in when I got home,but I'm not sure If I need it,it looks like it has one already. It's not hooked up yet. You can see it in the picture.Let me know if you think I should.

So,here's the pics.

uuhmmm..the top module isn't a dsl filter/splitter...the correct module is this...»www.hometech.com/hts_ima ··· sl_1.jpg »www.hometech.com/hts/pro ··· dsl.html see the blue end / snap connector? sometimes they are purple...

however, the lower module is indeed a dsl splitter...but it looks like he didn't use it judging from the re/green wires that are dangling..

[edit: didn't read the part that you installed that]...make him come back and re-do the wire using that splitter...just like what my picture shows...it's better if you let him do it rather than you trying to do it by yourself...when he asked if you had a splitter, he probably thought that you had junction box dsl splitters like this...»www.computercableinc.com ··· 0801.jpg and you meant another thing..miscommunication....

how it should be wired should look something like this....»www.netsynctest.net/serv ··· er_1.jpg I dont think you have the same diagram...
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

1 edit

Gigabyte2004

OK, I'll give him a call to put in the other dsl splitter like in your picture. Wasn't sure if I just needed to attach the dsl splitter I had now to the wires in the other box at the top if I actually needed to use it.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Just an FYI, they (AT&T) are not obligated to install the splitter for you. Anything past the demarc is your responsibility.

Another thing, and this is important, - you have one IW going into the house. There isn't anything to split! A NID splitter will do you no good. Perhaps you misunderstood the function of the NID split; it's to isolate the DSL jack from the voice jacks. In order to do this, the DSL jack needs to be a home run back to the NID.

What happened to the other IW's that you had before?
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

That is the main line into the house. The others went nowhere. I am running all
new lines for voice and a dedicated DSL line.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

There's no sense in calling a guy to come back out and hook up what isn't there yet. Make sense? You'll give the one guy that actually did something a "repeat report" (a ding on his record).

Now it's all up to you. You need to install the new extensions and run them back to the NID. Once that is done, you can hook up the splitter. Until then, there is nothing further to do.
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

Are you referring to the wires that are attached
to the dsl splitter in the box that isn't attached to the NID as seen in
the picture?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

That is the NID splitter (the little box with the red and green wires). It's not hooked up, because there isn't anything to split. You need to have your dedicated DSL extension run FIRST.
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

That's what I was asking about previously. When I get
my line run, then I should wire that to the other box at the top and then run my dedicated DSL line to that?
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Gigabyte2004:

That's what I was asking about previously. When I get
my line run, then I should wire that to the other box at the top and then run my dedicated DSL line to that?

here's my whole NID looks like wide open..

[left, telco side] upper left screw terminal is my main line...see the blue and white wires coming from the telco? and then the red / green wires coming out of it going to the dsl splitter on top right of customer side? from there, voice goes out as blue/white and dsl goes out as orange /white....

telco side, upper right is another phone line I had years ago which is now dead...same with the lower left...
said by nunya:

That is the NID splitter (the little box with the red and green wires). It's not hooked up, because there isn't anything to split. You need to have your dedicated DSL extension run FIRST.

said by nunya:

Just an FYI, they (AT&T) are not obligated to install the splitter for you. Anything past the demarc is your responsibility.

Another thing, and this is important, - you have one IW going into the house. There isn't anything to split! A NID splitter will do you no good.

can you explain?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Gigabyte2004

MVM

to Gigabyte2004
You'll pull off the existing IW (blue white). Replace it with the POTS splitter (the red and green wires).
Move the Blue-White wires to the POTS terminal on the splitter.
Terminate the DSL jack on the DATA (ADSL, DSL, or whatever it's labeled) terminal on the splitter.
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004 to medbuyer

to medbuyer
So it looks like the wires from the dsl splitter should
be attached to the telco side of the NID? That would make
the one he installed unnecessary. Am I thinking about this right? Sorry
for all the questions. Trying to get a grasp as to what needs to be done.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

You'll pull off the existing IW (blue white). Replace it with the POTS splitter (the red and green wires).
Move the Blue-White wires to the POTS terminal on the splitter.
Terminate the DSL jack on the DATA (ADSL, DSL, or whatever it's labeled) terminal on the splitter.

+1

try that so no more truck roll...
medbuyer

medbuyer to Gigabyte2004

to Gigabyte2004
said by Gigabyte2004:

So it looks like the wires from the dsl splitter should
be attached to the telco side of the NID? That would make
the one he installed unnecessary. Am I thinking about this right? Sorry
for all the questions. Trying to get a grasp as to what needs to be done.

try what nunya See Profile said...
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004 to nunya

to nunya
So I think I have of grasp now. The telco side will have to be
open to wire it correctly... Right?

So I need to remove the wires that are attached to the splitter
he has installed. Take the dsl splitter wires and then put them where the other
wires were just removed. Then take my phone line and attachments itvto the pots side, then run my direct dsl line to the data side of that splitter? Is this right?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

No. You do not open the telco side. That's illegal and best left alone.
Read my directions over again.
You are making it much more complicated than it should be.
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

Dang, I see what you mean now, I think. I'm just taking the blue/white wire attached to my phone line and then putting the green/red wire into that spot. Then taking my phone line and putting it into the pots voice. I was over thinking it.
Gigabyte2004

Gigabyte2004

Click for full size
Click for full size

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

There you go. Now run that new extension for the DSL modem. It's a beautiful weekend.
Gigabyte2004
Morganton, NC

Gigabyte2004

I'm running new lines for two phones and the dedicated DSL tomorrow.I'm glad that this part is done. Thanks for the help.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Gigabyte2004:

I'm running new lines for two phones and the dedicated DSL tomorrow.I'm glad that this part is done. Thanks for the help.

and that should complete your NID issue...moving on to others now...

congrats!