uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xlogic
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Conyers, GA

Nvidia Video Card

Hey Yall,

I haven't kept up on new video cards, I still have a 9400 GT and I'm looking for a newer card for a 2 monitor setup. I would like to go with something with at least 1gb or 2 of ram and it doesn't have to be top of the line just better than the one I have now.

I haven't had much luck with ATI and Linux in the past so I would like to stick to Nvidia.

Mike

(edit)- I forgot to mention PCIe as it will be going in a Desktop HP m9250f quad core.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Without knowing your present distro or kernel, I can only offer the following warning/advice:
Up until about 6-8 months ago, I ran a GTX260 without trouble on Debian stable (2.x.x kernel).
When I upgraded the card to a gtx560, I had to run Debian unstable as the card was not supported under the 2.x.x series kernel.
3.x.x kernel was required to get the card to work.
--
~ Project Hope ~

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by EUS:

When I upgraded the card to a gtx560, I had to run Debian unstable as the card was not supported under the 2.x.x series kernel.

FWIW: I found the GTX560 (560ti in my case) to be a little more finicky than your average Nvidia card, on both Win7 and Linux, I was much happier with my previous GTX9800+, and my current GTX670.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Xlogic
I have friends who have had good luck with 460s and linux,

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to Xlogic
I use a 9600 I purchased back in 2009. It has 1GB of RAM and support dual-monitor.

Xlogic
Premium
Conyers, GA
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

Without knowing your present distro or kernel, I can only offer the following warning/advice:
Up until about 6-8 months ago, I ran a GTX260 without trouble on Debian stable (2.x.x kernel).

Ah I'm using LMDe x64 with the 3.2.0-3 kernel.

Xlogic
Premium
Conyers, GA
reply to Maxo
said by Maxo:

I use a 9600 I purchased back in 2009. It has 1GB of RAM and support dual-monitor.

LoL yep I have a 9600 too but was looking for something a little newer.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
Your original post says 9400.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
I have a 560ti 2GB card and have run into zero issues with Windows Vista, 7, and 8 as well as no issues with Ubuntu 11.04-12.10, Arch Linux and Gentoo. In addition, I have used multiple combinations of these OS's in host-guest VM's. The Nvidia Linux Blob works well in each of these distro's.

I'm usually on alpha or beta instances as well.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix