uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

Grading school work

»www.montrealgazette.com/technolo···ory.html

This link is about a university student who was denied an A- and given a B+ because the quota for A's was reached at 25% of the marks for the class. It also goes on to talk about assigning grades according to the Bell Curve method.

Both of these methods are crap. I was a teaching assistant and lecturer for two of my seven years of university. I have marked hundreds of lengthy essays back when students actually hand wrote essays.

The way to assign a grade for an essay is as follows:

Less than C-

Failure to note any of the important points raised in the lecture or assigned reading

C- to C+

Most important points noted, the actual grade assigned on the logic and relationship between the important points as the student understands it

B- to B+

An explanation why all the important points are important

A- to A

An explanation why all the important points could be related to another thinker's writing

A+

Only for students who know more about the subject than I do.

I only gave one A+ for over 600 students in a two year period.

I never considered attendance or participation when assigning grades. I graded only on written assignments. This is for university students, grade schooler grades must include marks for participation.

-Bob

dragonfly5

join:2012-09-04
Heh. This is interesting, because the associate dean he took the complaint to was my senior-year Latin professor. I know her pretty well.

Concordia is a maze of bureaucracy and even well-intentioned employees can find their efforts lost in the cracks, to say nothing of students.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Bob Anderson
Yeah, I remember that back when I was in university. With a few classes, I felt it pointless to put in much effort, since I'd get a "C" regardless of how hard I worked. Grad school was a completely different story: straight A's because I worked hard and was rewarded for my efforts.

IMHO, a bell curve is a lazy way to grade students.

dragonfly5

join:2012-09-04
Grading is completely different in grad school, be honest. You really have to slack off to get a B.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
said by dragonfly5:

Grading is completely different in grad school, be honest. You really have to slack off to get a B.

It really depends on the program and school.

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
When I was in grad school the only way to get into grad school was to have near perfect grades for the last two years of undergrad school and to have a very clear explanation of what you wanted to study. This required convincing a particular prof or dept. head, which wasn't easy. You had no choice but to get 100% on all courses or very near it or you were gone. I did a very comprehensive written exam that took a full month, 7 days a week to complete, followed up by a 3 hour oral grilling, and I mean grilling. I received an excellent education, well worth the $10K in student loans.

That was in the 70's. Things are very different today.

-Bob

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
Not to mention the crazy amount of assigned reading and numerous papers/case studies I had to do each week! My thesis was a grueling several months of my life! With higher grades comes higher expectations in grad school. At least that was my experience. Made my undergrad look like a walk in the park, even with the stupid bell curve!