JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

I can't speak for everyone but...

.. the reason I skip the commercials is...
1)There are too many of them.
2)Most are just stupid or insulting.

Basically, these are the only reasons I skip commercials...

I'm old enough to remember when commercial breaks were just long enough to make a QUICK run to the kitchen for a snack, or to grab a drink. Now, I could paint a room and wait for it to dry before the commercials stop.

seamore
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02

seamore

Premium Member

said by JRW2:

I'm old enough to remember when commercial breaks were just long enough to make a QUICK run to the kitchen for a snack, or to grab a drink. Now, I could paint a room and wait for it to dry before the commercials stop.

And during those medical (pharmaceutical) commercials, you can take a 2 week vacation to England and still be back in time before the show resumes.
Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

2 recommendations

Angrychair to JRW2

to JRW2
No kidding. When I was a child I can recall there literally being about 24 minutes of actual programming for every 30 minutes of air time. Now it's closer to 20 minutes.

I won't even watch anything live on AMC they have so many commercials. (it literally seems to be in about a 1:1 ratio. Watch 5 minutes of movie, watch 5 minutes of commercials)

I've redubbed their network "Always More Commercials".

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

While I have an issue with the number of commercials per break, and the number of breaks, I have a BIGGER issue with how poor the ads are...
When I fast forward through commercials on my DVR, I actually watch them, and if one catches my eye, I stop and rewind to watch it....
Yes, I actually WILL watch a commercial, but it has to be entertaining or informative in some way. Sadly, the VAST MAJORITY of commercials are not, and that to me, explains why revenues are down. As an excellent example of people willing to watch commercials, just look at the commercials done during the Super Bowl, nearly no one misses those.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to JRW2

to JRW2
said by JRW2:

I was looking at some Mission Impossible episodes over at Amazon Prime and they were all around 51 minutes long. Now most hour long shows are around 42-44 minutes. And they wonder why people want to skip them. If the networks used common sense and not get greedy in the first place, this type of technology wouldn't have had much demand. Hell, they load up on commercials and still use some product placement. Production companies need to pay more attention to their costs and spend less time whining. Most actors and directors are interchangable anyway.

JRW2
Premium Member
La La Land

JRW2

Premium Member

said by mogamer:

said by JRW2:

I was looking at some Mission Impossible episodes over at Amazon Prime and they were all around 51 minutes long. Now most hour long shows are around 42-44 minutes. And they wonder why people want to skip them.

Yep, I've noticed that too. And it is a recent occurrence, as in like the last 20 years or so.

If the networks used common sense and not get greedy in the first place, this type of technology wouldn't have had much demand. Hell, they load up on commercials and still use some product placement. Production companies need to pay more attention to their costs and spend less time whining. Most actors and directors are interchangeable anyway.

My thoughts exactly, and this is a beast they created, like the often overpriced free agents in sports. They need to concentrate on improving the shows they put on, instead of all these scripted reality shows.

I've seen too many good shows canned that died because they refused to pay to get/keep the good writers.
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1 to Angrychair

to Angrychair
said by Angrychair:

No kidding. When I was a child I can recall there literally being about 24 minutes of actual programming for every 30 minutes of air time. Now it's closer to 20 minutes.

I won't even watch anything live on AMC they have so many commercials. (it literally seems to be in about a 1:1 ratio. Watch 5 minutes of movie, watch 5 minutes of commercials)

I've redubbed their network "Always More Commercials".

God Syfy is one of the worst I swear. Try to watch a movie on that channel and you get 2 hours for a movie and like another 2 hours worth of commercials, literally.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

It's easy... Just look at their programming schedule and see how long a movie is slotted for vs how long the movie really is. Worse, they may edit the movie's length to make it even shorter than standard !!

Wierd, I just checked Amityville Horror ('79 version) that's on Saturday night/Sunday morning in a 2-hour (120 minute) slot. IMDB says it's 117 minutes long. That can't be right !

AMC is definitely a really bad one... Behind Enemy Lines is in a 2-1/2 hour slot but only runs a little over 1-1/2 hours (106 minutes). Almost one hour of commercials !!
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to seamore

Premium Member

to seamore
said by seamore:

said by JRW2:

And during those medical (pharmaceutical) commercials, you can take a 2 week vacation to England and still be back in time before the show resumes.

I swear no matter the channel or the content being shown I see more of the pharma ads these days than anything else.

Football for example used to be mostly frogs saying Budweiser between plays. Now its some pharma corp trying to convince people they have some horrible disease.

Pharma advertising should be illegal(and it is in most other western nations) It only exists to try and make people think they are sick.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

said by seamore:

said by JRW2:

I swear no matter the channel or the content being shown I see more of the pharma ads these days than anything else.

Football for example used to be mostly frogs saying Budweiser between plays. Now its some pharma corp trying to convince people they have some horrible disease.

Pharma advertising should be illegal(and it is in most other western nations) It only exists to try and make people think they are sick.

How do any of those ads make you think that you are sick? It's mostly just advertising a specific drug.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
quote:
It was illegal for a good number of years till the industry paid enough people to have the law overturned a few years back.