uniqs
wadewood
Premium Member
join:2003-05-04
Houston, TX

wadewood

Premium Member

my phone now worthless?

OK, I'm with T-Mobile in Houston and have a HTC Sensation. From what I know about my phone, I don't think it works HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band. Does this mean my phone can't connect on higher speed HSPA+??

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

1 edit

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by wadewood:

OK, I'm with T-Mobile in Houston and have a HTC Sensation. From what I know about my phone, I don't think it works HSPA+ service in the 1900 MHz band. Does this mean my phone can't connect on higher speed HSPA+??

I don't believe they are completely turning off 1700 in these markets yet. However, it will happen eventually and it will make phones such as yours totally useless once they are totally switched over and turn off GSM which will most likely be years from now...

Edit: I just realized that there are alot of older phones for T-Mo that only support AWS HSPA. This is a game changer for them in some markets...
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT
·Frontier FiberOp..

tired_runner to wadewood

Premium Member

to wadewood
said by wadewood:

I was just wondering the same thing, except I use an LG Optimus T. It also operates on 1700 MHz AWS band through SIMPLE Mobile. You're correct, it only operates on 1700 MHz AWS, not 1900 MHz.

Crap
tired_runner

tired_runner to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

Edit: I just realized that there are alot of older phones for T-Mo that only support AWS HSPA. This is a game changer for them in some markets...

Correct, including for the MVNO's that use T-Mobile.

I wonder what will come of that.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to tired_runner

to tired_runner
They will be useless, but the good news that T and TMO will deploy on 1700/2100 LTE and at least that will be better. I'm not sure if they will wholesale move the 1700 band to LTE straight away but I'm thinking we have at least a couple of years before that becomes a problem.

I got HTC mytouch 4G slide for $140 used, so I'm not worried.

Since they have no LTE phones yet and their current fauxG phones (WCDMA) all work in 1700, one would assume to meet contracts we are talking at least 2 years before this happens if they switched TODAY. They haven't even started deploying LTE.

So I would say current phones will be good for years.

Compared to Sprint, this is rather orderly. Sprint has to move and shake spectrum all over the place. In the meantime their networks are suffering.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by elefante72:

Yours will be too... »www.phonescoop.com/phone ··· p?p=3207
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
I bought my Optimus for $80 used via eBay. I'm very happy with the phone for the cost and features.

I suppose later on I can look into an LTE phone when I have no choice.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson
said by bobjohnson:

said by elefante72:

Yours will be too... »www.phonescoop.com/phone ··· p?p=3207

Nope, the phone supports the 1900MHz band, as well as the 2100MHz. When I am in China, I use a China Unicom SIM in my MyTouch 4G Slide and I get HSPA+ on the 2100MHz band that they use.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

1 edit

tired_runner

Premium Member

Hmm.. But the phone only does GSM on 1900 and 2100. How are you getting HSPA at 2100?

EDIT: Doh.. I re-read the spec.. My bad, it does do HSPA at 2100

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to fuziwuzi

Premium Member

to fuziwuzi
HSPA at 2100 yes, but HSPA on 1900 is not supported on this so in T-Mobile's transition it will not be able to use 3g but will be on Edge until they phase that out.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

1 edit

buddahbless to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
From my post above...
1700 will be dual use (LTE 60-70% & HSPA 30-40%) So those of us with 1700 HSPA only phone will not be thrown back into the dark ages. The difference lies in the max speeds, HSPA phones will top out at 42mbps there will be no upgrade for TMO HSPA to the current max of 84mbps.

How long they will keep it dual use has not yet been released but given there are a lot of older phones that are 1700 hspa only I'd say 5 yrs +/- is a suitable guess more than enough time for customers to upgrade on there own.
buddahbless

1 edit

to bobjohnson
Click for full size
Not to worry everyone, read my post above. 1700 dual use its what TMO is proposing (LTE & HSPA on 1700 simultaneously) supposedly it will be in effect for quite some time. So your phones will not be phased out over night or even the next few yrs.

Lets just hope they follow through with those plans.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

1 edit

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Any Links? From what i've seen they are using the parts of 1900 that they can't use with HSPA for GSM (Roaming and those that are left using it) and repurposing 1700 for 10x10 LTE. In some markets they only have 10x10 to use.
edit: Forgot about that. Thanks for the pic.

buddahbless
Premium

2 edits

buddahbless

Dont remember the exact link page, but I posted the only thing I saved which is what the network will ( suppose to) look like after re farming and LTE deployment. It was in one of TMO press release Im sure searching there site you will uncover it somewhere.

PS: edit1: No problem, your welcome.
edit2: It seems we have to keep on editing our post as each other keeps reading it just after the other updates.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

I edited my post. They also got a bunch of spectrum from T in AWS band too. So they will be able to split up these markets in narrower bands.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to wadewood

Premium Member

to wadewood
said by wadewood:

No, they are still keeping it's current AWS network running. Nothing should change for you.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Sweet. Hope you are right.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

The PCS HSPA+ network is overlapping its current network. Its a slow gradual shift. T-Mobile is making sure all new phones work on HSPA+ (they have started this before the at&t merger).

If anything, Im thinking as more and more users start using the PCS HSPA+ network (they won't know or notice anything), it will lighten the load on the aws network.
tired_runner
Premium Member
CT

tired_runner

Premium Member

Could have fooled me if there's saturation on their AWS band in NYC. Works great for me via SIMPLE Mobile.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

I am a new t-mobile customer coming over from Verizon. I have to say in my area it has been very solid. I have zero complaints so far.

Speeds on my Note 2 are the same as Verizon at my house. Speeds around town are a little slower but not much. In a strong signal area I see 12 to 19 down and 1 to 3 up. That is right on par with Verizon

buddahbless
Premium

to bobjohnson
True I also think another reason to keep the 1700 HSPA going is for smaller roaming partners from other countries such as Wind Mobile & Mobilicity Canada.

I have family members that travel down from Toronto and they roam on TMO when here. Im sure TMO would rather welcome a full roaming agreement than let ATT have it. Now if we could just implement an agreement with Wind/ Mobilicity for unlimited usage talk/txt/data when TMO hits Canada (major metro areas) instead of TMO having to use Mr. "Rogers" neighborhood, I would be happy.

Also heres a link to what TMO network is supposedly to reflect well into the future, this makes it seems that no matter what HSPA on 1700 mhz will still be around for those who chose to never upgrade.
»farm8.staticflickr.com/7 ··· b264.jpg