StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 edit

Advice on locking down Android tablet

Well I broke my own rule yesterday and bought (good price) an Android based tablet. It's wi-fi only and totally firewalled from everything else. I've also disabled the GPS and told Google not to track me (like that'll happen). I don't plan to keep anything sensitive on it or use it for email etc. Just curious about Android and there's one app (related to vehicle performance) I've been wanting to mess with for a while now.

So, any advice on locking this puppy down further so Bob/Google/et al doesn't see every screen touch?

PS: Gotta say I'm impressed with this thing. Very slick.

PPS: Gotta love how it keeps the wi-fi connection open even when "turned off". Not a surprise but I'm not that dumb guys (Google et al).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

No suggestions, but I may be in the same boat soon. Which one did you get?

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

PPS: Gotta love how it keeps the wi-fi connection open even when "turned off". Not a surprise but I'm not that dumb guys (Google et al).

Unless it is different than my Thrive it only does that in sleep mode not if you turn it all the way off. Having the wifi stay on during sleep is handy if you do a lot of intermittant use of the tablet. It takes less time to pick it up and do something w/o having to wait for the connection to come back up. I do use Avast and have my Thrive rooted so I can use the firewall. I leave the gps on but have dialed back all other location detection through wifi off. I also run AdAway and clear cache, history, and cookies on exit. I use Dolphin for browsing. However, no financial or other sensitive activities are done on the tablet unless I'm on a trusted network.
--
Gadgets

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to StuartMW

»Re: Which smartphone is the most secure?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

Yeah. Have seen that. But this device is wi-fi only and that can be managed

I've only downloaded two apps--the one I mentioned above and Adobe Reader. The later is to read manuals (PDF's) etc.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!