dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
HD5830Gamer
join:2012-08-14

HD5830Gamer to eibgrad

to eibgrad

Re: PPTP vs L2PT vs OPENVPN for defeating Internet censorship.

I didn't quite get what you mean by a VPN being open to analysis. You mean being studied? I thought PPTP has been replaced. Dunno why VPN providers still use it when L2TP is better and L2TP will work on phones too.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by HD5830Gamer:

Dunno why VPN providers still use it when L2TP is better and L2TP will work on phones too.

Just like why things like the BIOS, 3.5" floppy and DSUB video connectors refuse to die -- they're lowest common denominator.
Everyone can use them.

Regards
HD5830Gamer

HD5830Gamer

I read up they're going to remove the BIOS and they still haven't done it in the new PCI express 3.0 motherboards!

Maybe the BIOS is still there for Overclockers.

As for PPTP i think It's just easier to setup is the reason it still exists. PPTP can be secure ONLY if you know what you're doing and It still has flaws.

I also heard SSTP beats OpenVPN by a mile. That's why governments use SSTP instead of OpenVPN right?

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

Actually OpenVPN is a Cert Based SSL and it's quite safe since you can create your own certs and deploy them this way you can make sure your traffic is secure to the server, but not sure the purpose since who ever wants to watch your traffic they just have to capture the clear data from the server out...

you may be better off using Tor or HTTPS Everywhere from EFF...
»www.eff.org/https-everywhere
»www.torproject.org/

SSTP is a MS thing and I won't trust that, OpenVPN is open
HD5830Gamer

HD5830Gamer

I will not use Tor or that HTTPS thing. For 1 none hide your IP in MP games, only a VPN can do such a thing.

2. I don't want to browse with missing content. No Tor for me. OpenVPN with multi Hoping is probably the best bet.