Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Fleeced

Premium Member

to Fleeced

Re: Windows 8 Mail Issue Road Runner

"My grapevine is giving rumors of TWC finally dropping the road runner brand and switching to a nationwide email of some sort with one domain,"

Interesting grapevine. With multiple domains it's entirely possible that there are 20 John@rr.xx.com. Which one will get John@new.domain.com.

Hob
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to OSUGoose

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Clarify what you mean by Multiple Identities. As I've configured Outlook to check several POPs before.

Outlook Express from many years ago allowed you to set up what was called "Identities" in the client that kept each mail account inbox separate.. You would go under file > switch identity and could switch to say your "wife's mailbox" she would have her own inbox/sent/etc.. separate from the other identity setup so the mail does not come into one screen.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Um, a lot simpler. Separate User Account to log into the PC. Your complaining about things that the OS isn't designed to do.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by OSUGoose:

Um, a lot simpler. Separate User Account to log into the PC. Your complaining about things that the OS isn't designed to do.

Excuse me but it is my impression that XP is a Microsoft OS and it is set up BY MICROSOFT to do Multiple Identities in Oulook Express which is a PART OF THE OS. A Microsoft MVP specializing in OE set up a free OETool years ago to switch identities (and do many other things in OE) much faster than File/Identities/Switch Identities.

I'm pissed because I couldn't buy a Win 7 Pro machine so I would have OE in XP that is part of Win 7 Pro. Thunderbird has always had Multiple Identities like OE. I had Thunderbird years ago but it insisted then on using a garish blue font when you went to reply instead of black for text of the email you were replying to. It also insisted on italicizing that text so it was irritating and difficult to read. Opera Mail is the same way since Opera 12...Horrible garish blue font that can't be changed. Maybe Thunderbird now allows all black font with normal font for the text of the email you are replying to...I don't know. I hated those colors even if I could changed the garish blue to a nice green. I want all black, no italicizing.

Why would you suggest that I set up SIX USER ACCOUNTS for the OS so I could keep my email Identities separate? How could you possibly fathom for even one second that would be easier? Geeez....
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to OSUGoose

Premium Member

to OSUGoose
said by OSUGoose:

Microsoft doesn't give a shit how other email providers work. They have their own email (Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com) and email services (EAS). No one bitches that Google makes you create a gMail account on their Androids, and the POP support of Android blows too.

What about REAL Outlook in Microsoft Office? That is not some crap, junk, garbage in the cloud email designed solely for the purpose of spying on you and anyone you correspond with (like GMail and Yahoo do). Real Outlook is an email client that resides on your computer. That is what I want. I know young people spit on privacy but I value it and, luckily, I won't be around when that spitting on privacy that is in vogue now comes back BIG TIME to turn everyone in the USA into slaves.

As for RR webmail, besides having to log into 6 accounts repeatedly every day, there is no way to do list servs or News Groups. I need an email client that isn't some crappy webmail thing with no abilities! I have a COMPUTER. Most of you guys hate computers and don't want to utilize them! You want a toaster that accesses the internet.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to Mele20

to Mele20
Gee that's how every business does it, they don't have one master login to the work computer that all the employees share and then "switch" identities in Outlook. No each user logs in separately, and boom has their own email access. Reality is your resistant to change and thus are tossing a hissy fit despite myself and others telling you there are workarounds that work better.
Expand your moderator at work
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to catbrat909

to catbrat909

Re: Windows 8 Mail Issue Road Runner

I would not be surprised if the next version of Windows only does Hotmail/Windows Live Email in the "free client" [excluding even IMAP].. Microsoft is tryin HARD to get everyone to "cloud" with them and use 'their' services.. heck when setting up windows 8 it tries to associate your "Computer Login" with a "live.com" account.
videonex
join:2001-07-22

videonex to catbrat909

to catbrat909
My TWC mail server does support IMAP. I can't find it listed in their documentation, but it's there. For roadrunner.com addys the server was usually pop-server.roadrunner.com. For IMAP simply change first part to imap-server. Works fine for me. Collecting 3 different roadrunner addys on 4 different devices including 2 W8 machines and an Android phone.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to catbrat909

Premium Member

to catbrat909
I was looking at Outlook.com and it only has pop3. No Imap, guess they think EAS is what everybody needs.
Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"My grapevine is giving rumors of TWC finally dropping the road runner brand and switching to a nationwide email of some sort with one domain,"

Interesting grapevine. With multiple domains it's entirely possible that there are 20 John@rr.xx.com. Which one will get John@new.domain.com.

Hob

You know how grapevines work. It's a rumor and not much else at this point, but I figure it'd simply be a free for all, or keep the old domains active but not allow any new registrations. Regardless it's speculation.
Matt7
Columbus, OH

Matt7

said by Fleeced:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

You know how grapevines work. It's a rumor and not much else at this point, but I figure it'd simply be a free for all, or keep the old domains active but not allow any new registrations. Regardless it's speculation.

My understanding the "Road Runner" Branding is going away and that eventually yes they will likely go to a "uniformed" email domain.. From when that happens who knows? There are still some systems time Warner has purchased (such as Insight earlier this year) that still have non Time Warner logos on everything) -- Insight is still calling itself insight even though high up wise it's time Warner calling the shots.
catbrat909
join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

catbrat909 to videonex

to videonex
Videonex

Thanks for the information. I have entered that information for the imap server field and it worked. Now I am able to send and receive mail in Microsoft's email program using Road Runner.