spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CYYZ
join:2012-11-08

CYYZ to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9

Re: [Cable] 2 month daily issue resolved, it's an "upgrade&

My last post on the subject. (Hopefully)

It has been a week and a half with perfect service. In fact Friday the 9th was the last night I lost my service. I do believe the problem is finally solved.

Let me fill anyone who's interested in on what exactly happened between me and Teksavvy.

A week prior to Friday the 9th was the day where it seemed I was finally getting somewhere with Teksavvy and a ticket would be pushed to Rogers right away. That ticket was never pushed through and in fact it seemed I had to fight to get something done about it. In the end no ticket was actually submitted to them because I never received a email from Teksavvy which they do every time a ticket is submitted. It almost felt as if they could see something they were not keen to admit was the problem itself. They seemed absolutely disinterested in sending out a ticket. It's funny the whole ticket to Rogers thing was dropped like a ton of bricks seemingly overnight.

What I believe was happening as evidenced by a couple of other users in this thread with identical problems, is the reason no ticket was submitted and no reply made to me in regards to my problem, is that Teksavvy knew that they themselves, Teksavvy was the cause of the problem.

I base this on the fact of what I just said, and also how the problem magically rectified itself, and no followup was done (as if they knew the problem would be solved, and magically all without a ticket).
OneWorld9
join:2010-12-09
East York, ON

OneWorld9 to CYYZ

to CYYZ
said by CYYZ:

Regardless Oneworld, let's keep in touch about when our services go down. I'll PM you the time it goes down in the evening, (if it goes down) because I am starting to at least wonder if we don't have an identical problem.

I agree it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but we're both in East York, on the York Mills POI, and both having at least one aspect of this problem be identical. Unless Rogers explained exactly how we're both connecting to the Internet (which is never going to happen), I doubt we'd be able to be certain about anything. What I do know is that there's very little evidence that anything is "wrong" with our actual setup / connections ... in the sense that, at least for me, my connection works fine throughout the day. It's only at night that this problem appears, and as I said, it hasn't happened since last Friday for me.

No need to PM me ... my line monitor is publicly visible:

TekSavvy Line Monitors

Currently on Page 6, but that could change if other line monitors are added / deleted. You can also make yours visible this way, if you follow the directions in the sticky I linked to earlier - the added benefit is that the monitor is free this way.
CYYZ

CYYZ to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
I admit I am not as well versed in how all of this works compared to other people.

But do you know with reasonably certainty that my father who lives a couple of minutes away from me (In East York, Toronto as well) who also connects to the Yorkmills POI when his identical Teksavvy modem is at his address, who's modem works in my home when my internet goes down, could still be on different path/structure whatever it's called, and his connection NOT go down (pretty much, EVER go down according to his logs) while my connection stays down? Also to have almost perfect power levels on the line too while it stays down?

If I am wrong, I am wrong and I would be so happy to be wrong. I really would. Because that would mean the responsibility is out of my hands. But unless my understanding of how an internet connection is entirely different than I know/imagine (and it very well could be, I don't pretend to be an expert) it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Regardless Oneworld, let's keep in touch about when our services go down. I'll PM you the time it goes down in the evening, (if it goes down) because I am starting to at least wonder if we don't have an identical problem.

BTW to mlord, this is a new modem from TSI, it is up to date firmware.
OneWorld9
East York, ON

OneWorld9 to mlord

to mlord
Yes, thank you. I'm confirmed to have the latest firmware for my modem. I agree that "intermittent" would likely be due to something like firmware, but in my case and at least partly in CYYZ See Profile's, the time periods seem to be very specific to the period of time that is known to be the "maintenance window" for Rogers.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to CYYZ

to CYYZ
Just double-checking here, but have you guys all verified that your Modem's firmwares are all up-to-date?

Very, VERY, important, that. Out of date modem firmware is the culprit for a large number of "intermittent connection" issues.
CYYZ

CYYZ to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
Same here. Friday it went down and the connection has been mostly fine since then.

I connect to the Yorkmills POI. My father is literally a 1 minute walk from here and just when you said that, I called him to perform a tracert to google.ca he also connects to the Yorkmills POI. Granted I don't know all that well how this stuff actually works, but he hasn't had more than a 15 minute downtime (according to his modem logs) in the last 6 months. So I really don't think this is the issue in my opinion.

I'm giving a call to Rogers tonight and although I hate them, if I can get a good deal I'm going to go for it. Either way I think I am done with Teksavvy at this point. It should be apparent even to the most gullible person in the world that nothing is going to happen in regards to fixing this problem.
OneWorld9
East York, ON

OneWorld9 to CYYZ

to CYYZ
said by CYYZ:

I am not sure if my internet service went down last night, but I just started monitoring the line yesterday, is this normal?

»i.imgur.com/mqgsg.jpg

This is the same problem I've been experiencing since late July, which is what I thought originally until you mentioned your father's modem was working fine.

Welcome to the ongoing saga of who's-problem-is-it-anyways?

Best guess: This is caused by the "maintenence" I mentioned earlier. There's nothing that can be done about this, apparently... TSI has been trying to resolve mine, but gotten nowhere. Thankfully, the problem with my connection has gone away again since the major outage on Friday last week. However, if you look at my line monitor, you'll see the same issue happening on and off since end of July. Who knows if / when it'll come back. Seems to be a monthly occurance for me.
said by CYYZ:

Some of this makes no sense, unless I have SEVERAL problems at once (IE DHCP server sometimes, other times packet loss/modem unable to reestablish lock despite good power levels). I really don't know what to make of this. I think I really do have several concurrent problems.

Very likely the case... when you said your father's modem worked, I assumed your problem was different than mine. However, it looks like you do have the same problem, and possibly others. The only other explanation I can think of is that the problems are specific to wherever the modem is getting it's assigned IP from (tied to the MAC address), and related routing ... switching modems therefore alleviating the issue. I don't know enough about the Rogers' topology to know if this actually applies.
said by CYYZ:

WHY am I getting a %100 packet loss on the line monitor of the 24.XXX.XX.XXX ip address during the time the router was disconnected? Is that normal? Wouldn't the line monitor simply say "offline" instead during that brief period it was disconnected?

As jibby See Profile said, the line monitor depends on a "static" IP. (or a dynamic IP that you use DDNS with) Luckily, the IP I'm using to monitor hasn't changed since I set it up ... which makes me think it's because it's tied to the MAC of my modem. If the IP address changes, the line monitor will report 100% loss during that time. This happens when you disconnect the router, or if the router's IP address changes - so yes, this is normal.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby to CYYZ

to CYYZ
not really, 100% packet loss = offline

aka 'we sent it packets and none came back'
CYYZ

CYYZ

I just disconnected my modem and plugged the computer directly into the modem and got a 198. ip address as my IPV4. (Had to check lease times, that's why I disconnected it.)

When I plugged the modem back into the router I am getting an ipv4 of 24.XXX.XX.XXX as an ip address

WHY am I getting a %100 packet loss on the line monitor of the 24.XXX.XX.XXX ip address during the time the router was disconnected? Is that normal? Wouldn't the line monitor simply say "offline" instead during that brief period it was disconnected?

»i.imgur.com/vE9tA.jpg

TSILiz
Premium Member
join:2012-08-20

TSILiz to CYYZ

Premium Member

to CYYZ
said by CYYZ:

I am not sure if my internet service went down last night, but I just started monitoring the line yesterday, is this normal?

»i.imgur.com/mqgsg.jpg

I'm going to be sending you a PM regarding your internet connection.
CYYZ

4 edits

CYYZ

»i.imgur.com/mqgsg.jpg

It's strange, because the packet loss is at the exact same times my internet, as a matter of tradition the last 3 months, would have went down anyways.

Let me try to explain something without getting too long winded.

Last night when this packet loss happened, if I went to let's say DSLreports or another website, my request for the page would hang or come back very slowly.

This is the same thing that happened 3 nights ago (when it last went down), the only difference is 3 nights ago I rebooted the modem as soon as the pages started to get slow. After I did that my modem could not reestablish a lock. (***** This is NOT normal either. Normally when the internet goes down I can establish lock with the modem with no problem at all after a modem reboot, the only difference being my IPV4 would be the DHCP server while 3 nights ago my IPV4 was naturally the cable modem's IP itself because it could not establish a lock)

I get the feeling if I DID reboot the modem last night during this packet loss, I probably wouldn't be able to reestablish any sort of modem lock.

Strangely my power levels are always perfect. Also strangely if I had my father's modem here with me again I would have been able to establish a signal lock with the modem.

Some of this makes no sense, unless I have SEVERAL problems at once (IE DHCP server sometimes, other times packet loss/modem unable to reestablish lock despite good power levels). I really don't know what to make of this. I think I really do have several concurrent problems.
markolaza17
join:2011-09-16
Ottawa, ON

markolaza17 to CYYZ

to CYYZ
this sounds oddly familiar. my connection has been going down on a regular bases. 2-3 times a week between 3-6 am/pm for the last 6 months. i have called tech support and they could not find any issues with my line signal. once i was able to call when it was actually disconnected and the power levels and signal where still fine. could it actually be my new motorola docsis 3 modem.
CYYZ

CYYZ to Oinktastic

to Oinktastic
Have to now run a bunch of tests before it is escalated, the gentleman from TSI who is helping me these days is great and I can only say good things about him, really exceptional in his customer service, but I have a feeling this will end up taking at least a month to solve. Will wait another week then seriously consider cancelling depending on the situation. Just have a feeling that even though we pretty much know what the problem is we are entering another service ticket loop.

IE: Send ticket, Rogers replies says it is fine or they require more information, then rinse and repeat indefinitely.

But we will see. Thank you for asking Garfield!

In the meantime I have to get a few things done on the internet, as it is assured to go down between 12AM-1AM tonight as per the usual.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to CYYZ

to CYYZ
The thread title says "resolved", but the OP is still looking for answers. That's a little misleading.

How is it going CYYZ?

TSILiz
Premium Member
join:2012-08-20

TSILiz to CYYZ

Premium Member

to CYYZ
CYYZ,

Just to make sure everything with the most recent ticket was done correctly, can you PM me with your account info so I can keep an eye on your account?

Thanks!
Liz
OneWorld9
East York, ON

OneWorld9 to CYYZ

to CYYZ
Glad you got your issue narrowed down - I guess your issue is different than mine. However, "maintenance" has a broader implication than what I may have suggested above. Your problem has been ongoing for two months, so likely Rogers did do something two months ago which affected DHCP provisioning for your modem - this is still maintenance, and it's still Rogers' fault, and I agree, it shouldn't have been up to you to figure that out. The fact that your father's modem worked is likely because Rogers ties IP addresses to MAC addresses (I noticed this in the last couple of months dealing with TSI on my issue), and whatever maintenance Rogers did didn't affect his provisioning. TSI and Rogers should have been able to isolate and resolve this long ago, if indeed that's what it is. Network troubleshooting should never be on the onus of the customer - it's an added "bonus" for TSI customers.

Given your new modem and updated firmware, I agree that it's very unlikely to be a modem problem, unless the replacement they sent you was also defective.
CYYZ

CYYZ to Oinktastic

to Oinktastic
No, he has an officially incompatible older firmware due to time period he originally bought the modem, but it is the same modem. Mine was originally replaced for that very same reason as they believed that was the reason for the problem which began 2 months ago.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre
join:2005-08-24
Scarborough

Oinktastic to CYYZ

to CYYZ
Do you both have the same firmware on your modems (you and your father)?
CYYZ

CYYZ

I brought my father's modem to my home and patiently waited for the daily down time at around midnight. It did go down so I connected my father's Teksavvy modem and everything worked. I disconnected it then reconnected my modem and it was down again.

So I've just proven the issue has nothing to do with the line or maintenance in the area. Called Teksavvy and told them this information and the issue was what I thought it was all along, DHCP provisioning issues with Rogers as it is the only reasonable solution left.

Finally, FINALLY after all this time the issue is now out of my hands and it's all up to Teksavvy now. I am very happy, but it should never have been up to me troubleshoot the problem to this degree. I should never of had to wait 2 months.
Swingtrade
join:2012-11-07
Saint-Hubert, QC

Swingtrade to OneWorld9

to OneWorld9
teksavvy is like quantum physic.

teksavvy say they provide internet
quantum say it's science.

Quantum:
Sometime it works. And if it doesn't , average it out.

teksavvy:
ping with 32 bytes, see it works... lol
ping the full packet size, it doesn't

But it works at 32 bytes, so we dont support packet size over 1400 bytes...

I dint know there was a new standard? I didn,t see the draft.
How is it called, the rfc-jitter draft?

So you are right maybe, it must be some upgrade, that didn't go so well, for the last two months.
OneWorld9
East York, ON

OneWorld9 to CYYZ

to CYYZ
Sounds exactly like my issue, which you can read about here:

»TekSavvy - glorified reseller, not ISP

I'm quite certain the problem is maintenance. I doubt you swapping your modem will get you any benefits ... the issue at the heart of the matter seems to be Rogers is doing maintenance / upgrades, and TSI seems to have no ability to improve the situation. I agree it's ridiculous that this "maintenance" goes on for so long - something is wrong with the way they're going about it.

I currently have a ticket (one of many that they've opened with Rogers) in "escalation" to the network team, but I won't be surprised if it comes back as "no problem found" or the same answer you got, which is that they are doing upgrades in my area. I'm just about done with TSI, to be honest. I don't know that switching back to Rogers will make things better, but I do know that I didn't have these extended headaches with them when I was. Either that'll be the case again (which, to me, makes it worth the slightly higher monthly cost), or I'll just have to find another solution.

FYI, this started late July for me... although it hasn't been daily. I'd say, altogether, in the range of 35+ nightly issues over this period.

If you want a better way to track what's going on, you should set up a Line Monitor:

»Line Monitoring

Won't improve your situation, but it'll tell you exactly when the problem is happening (with a certain degree of precision - I've found that low-level packet loss doesn't always show up).
CYYZ

1 edit

CYYZ

My modem:

»i.imgur.com/AEdYA.jpg

»i.imgur.com/WJyAQ.jpg

»i.imgur.com/iY6Sf.jpg

And the album of the 3 pictures:
»imgur.com/AEdYA,WJyAQ,iY6Sf#0

The error messages are few because I regularly clear the the log so I am able to tell if the connection went down overnight should I go to sleep earlier than usual.

It should also be noted that although these screen caps were taken when the connection IS up, it makes no difference whatsoever because when it does go down, all readings are exactly the same. Power levels are stable, everything.
vientito1
join:2009-01-09

vientito1 to jibby

to jibby
yeap. I could attest to DSL problem as well. I used to suffer an evening youtube stuttering problem for 2.5 months before finally a Bell technician decided to change to a spare slot. They even credited me for a portion of that at the end. No fun at all. But which one is the lesser of the two evils indeed?
jibby

jibby to CYYZ

to CYYZ
trust me, i feel your frustration, brother. I've had more than my fair share of troubles with cable and TSI.

and i really don't know what to recommend to help - you can keep pushing for more and more tickets, hoping that TSI can get Rogers to send out a tech who knows what they're doing who might be able to sort out the source of your trouble...

but if it only happens at night, that might be tough even for a competent tech... and we know that not all the techs are competent

and if its really an intermittent problem with the line, switching to Rogers probably isn't going to help anything, other than maybe getting more money out of your wallet... so what do you do?

i wish i knew. i'd say switch to DSL but that might be asking for a whole new set or problems with a different incumbent
CYYZ

CYYZ to jibby

to jibby
I see where you are going with this and in principle I agree with you and every single thing you stated. The only disagreement we may have is that despite the horrible situation Teksavvy is in, at the end of the day they were not forced into this business. Teksavvy knew from the start the awkward situation they would be in if they wished to be in this business. Secondly at the end of the day I am the customer and Teksavvy is doing me no favour letting me be their customer.

I have been very, very patient over the last few months regarding this issue, never said even one rude word and I was pretty much a pushover every time I called Teksavvy. I think I even apologized at one point on the phone to them for keeping them on hold for 15 seconds.

With what I am seeing here, there is a known issue Teksavvy is having in regards to DHCP, especially in the Ottawa area which they don't seem to want to talk about. I also don't appreciate being told it's due to maintenance because this ONE TIME out of the countless times I called the IP lease was only for one hour. So they (Teksavvy) ignore everything else including it's down EIGHT hours or sometimes even more for this "maintenance/upgrade", the fact my father across the street with Teksavvy cable and the same model of modem doesn't have this issue (if the upgrades are THIS localized and it takes 2 months + to do this upgrade, it will be decades until they finish Toronto or Rogers must have a 10,000 workers out there each night), the fact this was going on for 2 months this so called "maintenance", the ignoring of the disconnects that happen for a few minutes all day long, the ignoring of all the other IP lease times I've had and just focusing on this one time, the staying home all day cancelling plans waiting for a call that was promised that never happened, and the ignoring of the power levels during these "maintenance" times. That's all I can think of at this moment, and this is ALL Teksavvy, not Rogers. Also I love that if my internet isn't down at this one second I am calling in despite it happens daily, according to them there is "no issue" . I just love that. Oh yeah, they also ignore my neighbour (who I literally share a wall with dividing the home) is with Rogers and when it goes down her internet is fine. But please Teksavvy, keep sticking with the fact this ONE time I had a lease time of 1 hour and run with it so I don't call in for the next few months. With Rogers I already know what to expect, crap, but what can I say about Teksavvy? I also love waiting on hold for an hour, even sometimes at 8PM at night, hearing the same looping music again and again, I think I remember reading about the hold times a year ago, yeah I guess it takes a while to hire more people.

THESE are the reasons I'm upset. Also you are right, Rogers doesn't read tickets. Teksavvy doesn't either. Earlier today I explained my problem through PM in detail and the moment I said "it's working now" (As it ALWAYS works this time of day, that's not the issue.) I received a reply of "Great to hear it's working! If you have any further problems please call us back." I almost broke the computer screen when I read that.

I think I've been OVERLY fair here, and half the personal issues I had with Teksavvy have NOTHING to do with Rogers.

Anyways, thank you for the reply. I do see what you are saying.
jibby

jibby to CYYZ

to CYYZ
Sounds like a very tricky issue to troubleshoot, especially since it's intermittent. that stuff is really hard to track down, and opening tickets w/Rogers feels like a waste of time (imo, unless it's something simple)

Unfortunately i think it kind of highlights one of the biggest issues with TPIA, which is that Rogers provides slow, minimal support.

As you've found, Rogers rarely actually reads the ticket, they just look and if you're online at that exact second they check, ticket closed 'no issue'.

Don't get me wrong, I love Teksavvy - and they do their best. It's just too bad that when their customers have trouble, there's no reason for Rogers to make an honest effort to fix the problem, imo.

It doesn't make Rogers look bad when they fail to fix a TPIA clients trouble, it makes the TPIA provider look bad. Whether its a conscious effort @ Rogers or not, i think they know that giving sub-par support to TPIA clients has no consequences. If anything, it pushes customers back to Rogers. What's Tek gonna do, complain to the CRTC?

Not that Rogers provides much better support to their own direct customers. They really don't.
CYYZ

2 edits

CYYZ to Nemo888

to Nemo888
You can be sure of one thing, I'm not going to sit on my rear end for ANOTHER 2 months during this supposed daily 8 hour upgrade that sometimes begins as early as 10PM at night that has been happening for the last 2 months. What a perfect response to me as well that "there is an upgrade going on" so now there is no need to call in anymore when it goes down almost everyday. Perfect. Just sit it out for ANOTHER 2 months or even more. If this is not resolved I will be cancelling all services, I will also tell my dad (and he will) to cancel his service too. My friend was planning to join Teksavvy as well in the next 2 months, he will be going to Acanac it looks like instead.

I will do the test with my father's modem at my home for a while, and proceed from there. But I've truly had it. I realize I was not very polite in these messages, but that's only because I've seen what politeness has gotten me so far.

Edit: Didn't even mention the best part. I was supposed to get a call from a senior tech on Sunday, I gave them the window of 8AM - midnight to make it easier for them. I stayed at home and off the phone all day. No call. No apology when I called the next day.

Was supposed to receive a call sometime this week, I forgot the date now. But the tech person made a mistake and told me the wrong date, when I did get the call the next day, they did apologize though so I didn't mind that very much and didn't make an issue out of it. Heck, I haven't even made an issue out of anything until my first post here this morning.
Nemo888
join:2005-12-25
Canada

Nemo888 to CYYZ

to CYYZ
YYZ is Toronto, but your problem sounds like you live in Ottawa.

I'm trying a new firmware today. August the internet was unusable for me and my brother. He lives in Westboro 150 meters from the POI and I live near Lincoln Fields.

You are not alone. The upgrades have been a mixed blessing so far. Faster but with outages. I noticed the midnight to 3 am thing as well. It is not bad now though. Upgraded router handles the occasional DHCP hiccup much better than the old one.
CYYZ

2 edits

CYYZ

Just had the issue looked into, and because it is up now at this moment, which it almost always is at this time of day, there is no problem officially.

I think the tech people assume this is an isolated event. If they looked into my account history they should see in all the years I've been with Teksavvy, I called in maybe once a year (if even that) up until a few months ago. I am not someone who calls in every single time there is a problem. If my connection is down once, twice, or even 10 times a year, I know it's down for everyone else too so it's pointless to call in and waste their and my own time. I do realize this but I know this is NOT that kind of situation.

I am an extremely understanding type of person and it is a rarity I am annoyed to the degree I am now, but it has been 2 months of "everything's fine" now. Then my hope was brought up today with "We'll look into this PM me your details" and it was just the same old response. "Your connection is working now, if you have problems contact us."

This problem started happening in late August I believe. They then they replaced the modem in early or mid September. The reason I have not called in since then up until a week ago is NOT due to the issue not happening, it was due to my giving up on the issue. It is NOT because it wasn't happening anymore. It has been happen literally 5-6 nights in a 7 day week and has been ongoing for a little more than 2 months and ALWAYS happens between 10PM and 3AM and stays down until 7-8AM in the morning.

If I could bet real money on the connection going down every night, I would bet "yes" every single day. Heck the odds are almost 4 times better than betting on red in a game of roulette. But you see, I don't have a problem, because it's working at this moment.

But I don't have a problem, because it's up right now at this moment as is usually the case. Then when it actually is down at the moment I calll, they send in a ticket to Rogers, who then looks at the problem in the morning when it's up and says "everything's fine" and the cycle repeats again and again and again and again. I do have work I have to do on the internet at night and I realize I can't be guaranteed uptime because this is not a business account, but by anyone's defintion of 6-8 hours downtime for usually 6 out of 7 days in a week and the connection always coming back between 7-8AM (and this is not a guess) and the cycle of calls and responses I get from both parties is beyond ridiculous. I wish they would just tell me "We can't solve the problem and we have no idea what is causing this, you might be better off leaving" then we could leave each other amicably.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to CYYZ

Premium Member

to CYYZ
Are your DHCP Lease times still at an hour interval?