spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eagleknight
join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

eagleknight

Taking a leg from a 220v circuit

Currently I have a shared neutral circuit 120v in my garage that goes to a dedicated receptacle for a dust collector. Then the other leg goes to the garage heater (gas). At some point if I upgrade my dust collector and it requires 220v can I switch the circuit to 220v 20amp and then take one leg off and still have the heater hooked through this way. It is 12/3 wire.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

The short answer is yes.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to eagleknight

MVM

to eagleknight
Yes. On a code technicality (exception), you could. The MWBC would need to be fed from a 2 pole common trip breaker.

It would be a very hoakey arrangement, IMPO.
It would be much better to install a dedicated circuit for one or the other. Most likely you'll overload the circuit if you attempt to run both at the same time.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to eagleknight

to eagleknight
Question: What sort of residential dust collection (Im assuming it's another word for central vacuum) requires 220v?

It must be a monster!
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7

I think he is talking about a true dust collector like they use in wood working shops to suck the dust up from saws.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya to eagleknight

MVM

to eagleknight
240V dammit!
eagleknight
join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

1 recommendation

eagleknight

Sorry 240v. Yes this would be a dust collector for woodworking.

Something like...
»www.grizzly.com/products ··· or/G0440

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I had the earlier version of the same collector. Do yourself a favor and just get a Jet or a Delta. You'll save some money and headache. The Grizzly was noisy as f___ and leaked like a sieve.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

+1 on the Delta, they have always made good tools and their collectors are no exception. I assume you have ducting in place already?