uniqs

GM85
Click, Click
join:2002-07-02
Canada

GM85 to aegyssus

to aegyssus

Re: MF668A stays on EDGE/green mode

If I had a guess, it might be that the card is configured to only check certain frequencies. HSPA can operate on different frequencies. For Instance, Rogers uses 850/1900mhz, whereas that denmark ISP that sells the MF668A operates on 2100mhz. The 668A supports all the frequencies, but I wonder if there is a lock on the device.

This is getting a little bit beyond my scope of knowledge, but there are a few diagnostic commands you can try (I tested it out with my MF668). If you look in Device Manager, there should be 2 COM ports associated with the device: a ZTE Diagnostic Interface and a ZTE NEMA Device.

I used PuTTY and was able to connect to the serial port associated with the ZTE NEMA device (on my computer: COM7 and baud rate 115200).

After I opened the window, I typed ate to enable echoing back of commands. you will not see any response when you enter this command in

You can type a few commands, such as ati to check the model info and at+csq to check the signal stregnth.

I found an interesting command called AT+COPS? that will indicate the preferred network for the device and if it can roam. This should return something like this:
+COPS: 0,0,"CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.",2
The important part is the 0,0 which indicates if the device is allowed to roam.

I was referencing this PDF: »download.maritex.com.pl/ ··· 0ZTE.pdf - although it is used for a different model, many of the commands are compatible. I was hoping to see if I could find a command that could indicate the frequencies the device is allowed to scan.

In any case, I guess you have to decide if it's worth the time. This is as much info as I could find, but of course it might be easier to take a look on kijiji for a second hand rocket stick.
aegyssus
join:2012-11-06
Canada

4 edits

aegyssus

Hi Gramzster,
Your finding is very interesting... because I see a different response than what you got:

AT+COPS?
+COPS: 0,0,"CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.",0
OK

So the question would be what's that last parameter...? The documentation that you indicated only says:
stat:
0 unknown
2 current register network
3 forbid register network

But is it about roaming? Does it mean that there is something wrong with my SIM card that ROGERS operators could fix...?

I remember that when I used various software (such as Join Air of ZTE), I was seeing a big R showed before ROGERS and it was saying on hover that I am roaming and I even got a message about how much attention I have to pay because I am on roaming.

But could roaming limit the speed of my connection?

Again, using your extremely useful doc, I can see:

AT+CREG?
+CREG: 0,5

Where 5 means "5:Registered, roaming." as opposed to "1:Registered to local network;"
Why would it say that I am in roaming mode when I actually am at home, in Montreal...?

Is this caused by my 3G modem card or the SIM or my ROGERS account?

One more thing, can you please tell what your card returns when you type this:

AT+ZSNT=0,0,0
OK
AT+ZBANDI=0
OK

### here please wait for your card to get connected and turn blue (or green as in my case) ###

AT+COPS=?
### this is what I get: ###
+COPS: (1,"CAN Rogers Wireless Inc.","ROGERS","302720",0),

OK

Thanks a lot for your help!