Search similar:

uniqs

JamfSlayer
join:2012-11-04
Columbus, OH

JamfSlayer to jupiter47

to jupiter47

Re: Youtube Streaming Down

Test out updating your Android apps via the Play Store connected to WiFi on UltraTV... YouTube and Play Store seem to be an intermittent constant if that makes sense... I'm assuming there are some routing issues between WOW back end systems and Google's systems.. Changing your DNS IPs to Google's or OpenDNS do not fix the issue...
JamfSlayer

JamfSlayer to jupiter47

to jupiter47
On a happier note.. I have received very good response from Libby from WOW - she is fully engaged and has requested some assistance from some higher level teams. WOW_Dan might also be involved in this collaboration. This is big.. I have a good feeling they will fix it in short order. Please be patient everyone.

coolelephant
@wideopenwest.com

coolelephant to jupiter47

Anon

to jupiter47
I'm also having this exact same issue from Evansville, IN.--I've found that the Ads will play fine, and so will private/unlisted videos such as this test video someone uploaded a to check but it's the public YT videos that refuse to initialize. I'm glad I'm not the only WOW fellow with this issue.

Some other pertinent information I figure I should include:
Chrome Version 23.0.1271.64 m
Flash Player Version: 11.5.31.2
Windows 8 up to date as of 11/14/12

Steps taken to attempt a fix:
Re-installed Chrome
Re-installed Flash
Allowed exception for youtube.com on firewall
Disabled all 3rd party plugins
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count

Yeah I can't update android apps through the play store over wifi either. Have to switch to 4G wireless to do it.

So this is bigger than we all think.
richkut
join:2012-02-10
Cleveland, OH

richkut

I noticed this for the first time yesterday when I tried to D/L from the Google PLay Store--it CRAWLED!! Normally, it is VERY fast, and when I switched to 4G LTE, well, it was supersonic!! What's going on??!!

ColumbusOH
@wideopenwest.com

ColumbusOH to jupiter47

Anon

to jupiter47
I don't want to speak too soon, but a video just played and an app just downloaded via wifi.

Things seem to be working for the moment.
Drazhar
join:2012-11-13

Drazhar

Mine has stopped again.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k

MVM

Heh, just tried it here and noticed YouTube does not play right too. (I have Ultra.)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· PFrkuPq0

On vevo sound comes through
»www.vevo.com/watch/the-m ··· 30300095

Speed test is not bad

ColumbusOH
@wideopenwest.com

ColumbusOH to jupiter47

Anon

to jupiter47
I did speak too soon. After playing one video and downloading one app I am back to getting the "an error occurred please try again later" message at youtube and hanging on "downloading" at the app store.
ColumbusOH

ColumbusOH

Anon

Called WOW customer service. Was told the wait was 45 minutes, but got a rep in about 20.

During the time that I was on hold I tried several times to play videos and download from the play store.

I had some success and things seemed to be back up and running again.

The rep I spoke to indicated my modem had not been rebooted in 97 days (I had unplugged it for 1 minute a couple of times recently). She sent the reboot trigger and when everything came back up: no youtube or playstore again.

This is so bizarre.
asilentshout
join:2012-11-15
Columbus, OH

asilentshout

I'm so relieved to find that I'm not the only one with this bizarre issue. In Columbus, Ohio here with all of the exact issues above. Just wanted to chime in!

ColumbusOH
@wideopenwest.com

ColumbusOH

Anon

After 2 sessions of calling WOW the person I talked with the 2nd time put me on hold and talked to her helpdesk person who indicated they had never heard of this.

They suggested I use another browser (already tried that) or contact Google.

Really no idea where to go from here.
asilentshout
join:2012-11-15
Columbus, OH

asilentshout

If they would just check this 3 page thread instead of passing the buck, that'd really expedite things.
asilentshout

asilentshout

Hah, it's working at the moment. Let's see how long it lasts.

edit: lasted about 2 minutes
Drazhar

Drazhar

Gonna go with not very.

ColumbusOH
@wideopenwest.com

ColumbusOH to jupiter47

Anon

to jupiter47
So I contacted Google. Filled out a play store ticket, put my phone number in and boom, Kyle called me in 30 seconds (WOW could learn a thing or 2 there).

He reviewed the notes and admitted he was a bit stumped. He asked about firewall settings on my router which I hadn't mentioned in the ticket notes. Play Store uses port 5228 which I found when researching my problem originally. I thought that I had opened that port up in my D-Link DIR-655 router.

While on the phone with Kyle I logged in to the router and noticed my setting was for TCP only. I changed it to BOTH, TCP and UDP for port 5228.

An app immediately started downloading on my android tablet and a youtube video started playing.

Kyle and I parted ways, but no such luck. Tried to download a second app and play a 2nd video and same issue is back.
jgo1961
join:2012-11-12
Columbus, OH

jgo1961 to jupiter47

to jupiter47
Mine still down. This is very frustrating for my family and I'm going to change providers soon. Might try AT&T Uverse.

Once again, I take any device to another network, YouTube works fine. Just not on my home network. Any other video service works fine on my home network. It's not a device or operating system or browser issue. Tried on iPad, laptops, desktop, and smartphone. Android, IOS 4, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Safari, Chrome, Exploror, Ethernet and wireless. All combinations fail on my home network.

Haven't tried DirecTV app yet. Will do tonight.
jupiter47
join:2012-11-08
Evansville, IN

jupiter47

Did you try plugging a pc directly to the modem?
I'm up and working fine now and have been for the last 36 hours or so when connected to modem, not the wireless router.
Drazhar

Drazhar

Interesting, but that doesn't give many ideas as to what changed in our routers that would suddenly cause YouTube and Google Play issues.

Unfortunately with three computers in the house, connecting directly to the modem isn't an option.
Couch Potato
What?
Premium Member
join:2004-08-29
Statesville, NC

Couch Potato to jupiter47

Premium Member

to jupiter47
Insight customers are having issues too... »[Speed] YouTube HD videos very laggy - Lexington, KY
Gerard1234
join:2012-04-03

Gerard1234 to jupiter47

to jupiter47
Youtube works here just fine
richkut
join:2012-02-10
Cleveland, OH

richkut

Come to think of it, a few weeks ago I was able to stream videos wirelessly on my cell phone via my home network, but lately with the slowdown (actually, crawl) experienced with Google Play Store, I have noticed that I cannot stream anything without it having to stop and buffer every few seconds. I have a 65 Mbps wireless link with my cell phone in my home, so why is my throughput apparently suffering? Does this coincidentally coincide with everyone else's Youtube problems and/or with the latest software/firmware push...? Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Tester1
@wideopenwest.com

Tester1 to jupiter47

Anon

to jupiter47
I bet it's related to the Adobe Flash release on 11-6 or 11-7. It seems it started after that and that's what youtube uses. WOW and Adobe need to figure it out what Adobe Flash broke.

Here is a link:

»forums.adobe.com/message/4827339
Drazhar

Drazhar to jupiter47

to jupiter47
Something worth considering, it might be due to server issues in New York area still being slammed as a result of Superstorm Sandy?

ColumbusOH
@wideopenwest.com

ColumbusOH to jupiter47

Anon

to jupiter47
I've had no issues this morning with either Youtube or Play Store. Unlike the last few days where one video would play, I'd get my hopes up and then the next would fail that has not happened today.

But, since I have no idea what the cause was and even less of one about what was changed to get it working I'm leery this problem may return at any time.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

I'm not entirely sure what the problem might be here, but I will be escalating this to our network engineering group to see if they've heard about this, and what they might be able to look into. I will be back in the office on Monday to take a closer look.
Drazhar

Drazhar

As an aside, it's definitely not Flash because I tried it while opted in to the YouTube HTML5 beta.

Then the error message would be "This video is not available" instead of "an error occurred"

Hopefully everything we've reported helps get this ironed out!
jgo1961
join:2012-11-12
Columbus, OH

jgo1961

I meant IOS 5, not 4
jgo1961

jgo1961 to Drazhar

to Drazhar
It's not flash because its not working on my IPads or my DirecTV app either. We keep going back to what ifs based on home equipment but I'll say it again - 2 windows laptops, 1 desktop, 1 android phone - on home network, no Youtube. Outside network, Youtube works great. On home network, all other video services work fine and dandy. I've reset and rebooted every thing in every imaginable combination. The only conceivable thing left is the home network, i.e. WOW.

Sat on phone for 45 minutes waiting for WOW tech support and then got the disconnect/busy tone.

ColumbusOH
@wideopenwest.com

ColumbusOH to ColumbusOH

Anon

to ColumbusOH
Back to not working again. So frustrating.