Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to analog andy

Re: Ditching Shaw cable need media player ideas

I thought about HTPC but just can't be bothered with building computers anymore.

I know Shaw offered one free rental but I got 4 tv's so really I'd rather use this moment to ditch them. I got the basic + of whatever its called these days goes up to 50+ channels I'm pretty sure my bill is close to $70 last time I checked. I also had a shitty experience with their support guys so I got rid of the internet about a 1.5 years ago.

I'm thinking of getting a good router, power line networking, USB HD or two hooked up to the router and a media player in each room. Also get antennas for the TV's to get a few of the local ota chnnels.

vue666
I love Lanny Barbie
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

I have a WD TV Live and love it. It is attached to my tv in the rec room and accesses media files via wireless on my Linux computer upstairs. No stuttering or freezing...

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to analog andy

said by analog andy:

I thought about HTPC but just can't be bothered with building computers anymore.

If you don't want to build a system but don't mind spending more to buy one there are a few pre-built htpc systems out there. Personally I run a Mac Mini as a HTPC running Plex and it does the job really well. All the flexibility of a desktop while looking smaller and sleeker than the rest of my system components.