Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to clocks11

Re: After AT&T lost TMO, it acquired a lot of spectrum for LTE

I'm aware that DT wanted out. They felt that T-Mobile USA wasn't performing as well as they wanted. My theory is that this is a problem of their own creation, since they aren't expanding coverage into rural areas, a move that completely eliminates the possibility of getting customers outside big cities and even turns off some city residents who travel to these areas.

However, just because DT was a willing seller and AT&T was a willing buyer, that doesn't mean the deal should have been approved. The reason is that these companies are using a finite, publicly-owned resource: spectrum. They may license it, but it still belongs to us, so they have to receive approval for a deal like that.

As for Japanese, German, British, and Mexican companies owning wireless networks, what's the problem? I have no belief whatsoever that AT&T will treat me any better than them simply because it's based in this country. And, with any publicly-traded company, nationality is an illusion, since, if it's, say, Japanese, and shareholders in the U.S. end up buying a controlling interest, then it's a U.S. company.